Author Topic: Cherry Smoked Chicken, Potatoes and Appetizers  (Read 3490 times)

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Cherry Smoked Chicken, Potatoes and Appetizers
« Reply #-1 on: March 04, 2015, 07:21:27 PM »
Yesterday I pulled back the skin on the thighs and legs.  I seasoned them with a hot version of Fine Swine and
Bovine.  I then recovered them, then mixed 3 TBL of kosher salt with 1 TBL of baking powder, seasoned the skins
with this mixture and set them uncovered in my refrigerator for the next 28 hours.  The fingerling potatoes were
put on firewire then given a bath of EVOO and seasoned with the same FSB.  The sweet peppers were cut in half,
stuffed with a mixture of cream cheese and 1 TSP of smoked jalapeno powder.  I then covered them with Wright’s
pepper bacon.

Put into the Grid Iron using cherry pellets and initial temperature of 200 for the first 30 minutes.  BTW it is a
beautiful 82 degrees today in SE Georgia!

Potatoes and peppers are done.

Chicken is done!

Here’s your plate!

Chicken was super juicy, very flavorful and had almost fried crispy skin.  I have used the kosher salt/baking powder
mixture before but it was not as good as this time.  I believe that is because of the 24 plus hours in the dry brine
this time versus just a few hours.  The peppers turned out great as the smoked jalapeno powder, along with the
pepper bacon, gave them a nice kick.

Thanks Teesquare for the hot mix of the FSB.  It was phenomenal on chicken and the potatoes!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Pappymn

Cherry Smoked Chicken, Potatoes and Appetizers
« on: March 04, 2015, 07:36:13 PM »
You get a new plate? You know how I watch your plates. :). Love the look of that fine meal
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Cherry Smoked Chicken, Potatoes and Appetizers
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 07:38:22 PM »
You get a new plate? You know how I watch your plates. :). Love the look of that fine meal

Looks like a retro diner plate, or Steak & Shake - the  food looks really good! Very nice cook! What's up with the "hot" FS&B?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 07:46:11 PM by drholly »
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 07:41:02 PM »
Looks really good.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline nylic76

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 07:49:55 PM »
I just finished dinner but if that was on a plate, I'd eat again.  Looking good.
SRG
Big Easy
Weber Kettle
Traeger Junior
Broilmaster Gas & GrillGrates
12" A-MAZE-N Smoker Tube

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 07:51:50 PM »
I just finished dinner but if that was on a plate, I'd eat again.  Looking good.

Heck, if it was on a hunk of stone or wood, or even my counter, I'd be digging in!
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 07:55:16 PM »

Looks like a retro diner plate, or Steak & Shake - the  food looks really good! Very nice cook! What's up with the "hot" FS&B?

Plate is just something I picked up at Target.. I talked to TeeSquare about making a hot version of his FS&B.  I really like Smokin Guns Hot but
not the overpowering chili powder in it.  Tee said he could do it with no chili powder, so I purchased a large bottle from him. You need to message him about having him make you
some. Excellent!!!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 10:31:16 PM »

Plate is just something I picked up at Target.. I talked to TeeSquare about making a hot version of his FS&B.  I really like Smokin Guns Hot but
not the overpowering chili powder in it.  Tee said he could do it with no chili powder, so I purchased a large bottle from him. You need to message him about having him make you
some. Excellent!!!

Thanks, Mike!
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 11:09:21 PM »
Just got home from supper and saw this post and I betcha I could "cowboy up" to a plate of this goodness.

Fine Swine and Bovine is a go to round here, don't do the hot that much but it is good to know Tee can change the flavor profile  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 11:14:27 PM »
Just got home from supper and saw this post and I betcha I could "cowboy up" to a plate of this goodness.

Fine Swine and Bovine is a go to round here, don't do the hot that much but it is good to know Tee can change the flavor profile  :)

Mo Rockin' Chicken is my daughter Emma's favorite - but I find myself reaching for FS&B more often than not (except when I am doing beef and want my M3 and WOW.) My wife is very happy that I am finally rationalizing my spice and rub collection (but there are still a bunch of dried chilies in the cupboard...)  ;) ;D ;D ;D
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 01:59:39 AM »
Great looking cook Mike.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline hikerman

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 08:11:02 AM »
Very fine cook again Mike!
It's 7:10am here and I would love a plate like that!  ;D

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 03:29:22 PM »
That chicken skin looks incredible, and I love poppers made from those mini sweet peppers like that.  Great meal, Mike!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 03:36:38 PM »
HOS - that looks excellent - ALL of it -  Rookie question here - what is the purpose of the Baking Powder on the chicken?
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 03:45:01 PM »
HOS - that looks excellent - ALL of it -  Rookie question here - what is the purpose of the Baking Powder on the chicken?

I had read an article on cooks.com or cooks country kitchen, can't remember which that stated that the combination of kosher salt
and baking powder will draw the moisture out of the skin and help it to crisp up.  They tested it on turkey so I had tested it before on chicken, but
didn't leave it on quite as long as this time. It kinda worked the first time, but this time it did the trick. Not only did it pull the moisture out of the skin
it seemed to add lots of moisture to the chicken itself.  This was so juicy I thought that my Grid Iron had turned into a deep fryer. Give it a shot!  ;)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe