Author Topic: Just added a downdraft hood to my Traegar Texas  (Read 11904 times)

Offline okie52

• Edmond OK
Re: Just added a downdraft hood to my Traegar Texas
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 08:51:09 PM »
Grub is looking real good. How did your Traeger run with the hood?

Thx. The ribs and sausage did turn out pretty good.

I guess the hood worked fine. The rtd was showing a significant difference from the grate and dome thermometers (about 40 degrees...245 rtd 287 on grate and about the same on the dome) .  I only had one grate probe so I can't speak to any evenness of grate temp.  I figured the grease chute would have more smoke flowing out of it but it wasn't any more than usual. 

I was also trying out the Amazn tube so I wasn't really that focused on the hood.

Next time I'm going to run three probes on the grate and remove the oven liner pans to see if I get the grate and rtd closer together on the temp.
Traeger Texas Grill w Blazen Grill PID
w/smoke daddy big kajuna
ng converted great outdoors vertical smoker
dcs 24" built in ng grill
50,000 BTU ng side burner
Maverick ET 732
Igrill

Boomer Sooner

Offline okie52

• Edmond OK
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 08:57:19 PM »
Thx to all for the kind words. 

As much as I hope the DD hood is a positive improvement I was thrilled that the Amazn tube performed so well.  I'm getting lazy in my old age and I'm still searching for set it and forget it...lol.
w/smoke daddy big kajuna
Maverick ET 732
Igrill

Boomer Sooner

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 05:22:25 PM »
If you have a pellet grill, you have to have one of these bad boys.

Not all pellet grills require the add-on, Smoke.  As TentHunteR says, in a few posts up, the MAKs have it incorporated into their design.  And the Fast Eddy by Cookshack series (PG-500 or PG-1000) extract the smoke from below the food. 

Here's a cutaway of the PG-1000.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 05:43:54 PM »
That is true pmillen. Cookshacks are in the Mak category that is for sure. The downdraft hoods are necessary in the more "affordable" grills.....GMG,Traeger,Camp Chef and Rec Tec. When someone is shelling out 1500 plus for a pellet grill (or any kind of pit) you would hope that you would not need mods  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline okie52

• Edmond OK
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 07:49:19 PM »
By putting the smokestack opening to the grill lower than grate level wouldn't that basically accomplish the same thing?
w/smoke daddy big kajuna
Maverick ET 732
Igrill

Boomer Sooner

Offline pmillen

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2015, 10:46:38 PM »
By putting the smokestack opening to the grill lower than grate level wouldn't that basically accomplish the same thing?

I think so.  That's what the FE pits look like.  A metalsmith might be able to cut a hole for the smokestack just above the grease tray.

Although many pits have the firepot directly below the grease tray so the heat may escape.  The FE pits overcome this by isolating the firepot off to one side.  Nevertheless it may work on some pits with some shielding.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2015, 10:50:55 PM »

I think so.  That's what the FE pits look like.  A metalsmith might be able to cut a hole for the smokestack just above the grease tray.

Sure would. I don't why some mfg's put the exit opening so high up. You are just asking for heat and smoke to naturally rise and not give the meat the hot smokey bath it so rightly deserves......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline solobaric

Just added a downdraft hood to my Traegar Texas
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 04:53:02 PM »
This was going to be my next mod.  I'm going to wait for some more feedback from some of your cooks before I pull the trigger. I'm hoping to even out the temps across the grate and definitely some more smoke. What model traeger do you have and any issues with the lid catch?
Traeger Little Texas Elite

Offline pmillen

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2015, 10:25:45 AM »
That is true pmillen. Cookshacks are in the Mak category that is for sure. The downdraft hoods are necessary in the more "affordable" grills.....GMG,Traeger,Camp Chef and Rec Tec. When someone is shelling out 1500 plus for a pellet grill (or any kind of pit) you would hope that you would not need mods  :)

And I should have included the Englander pit.  It's licensed from Fast Eddy/Cookshack and has the same design as the PG-500 at about ⅔ the cost.
Paul

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2015, 10:44:17 AM »
I saw a Englander pit assemble at a Home Depot the Holiday Season before last. Nice looking pit.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven