Author Topic: Comparison—Ham in Kitchen Range Oven and PG-500  (Read 3650 times)

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
Comparison—Ham in Kitchen Range Oven and PG-500
« Reply #-1 on: April 06, 2015, 11:28:51 AM »
Two boned precooked hams from Costco.  I couldn’t quite get them both in the Fast Eddy by Cookshack PG-500.

See Spiral Ham for the method and glaze.  This time they were at room temperature when starting the cook.  It made a huge difference.

This is what they look like when unwrapped, kinda’ flat.

Into the pit.

It was a 50° day.  The recipe calls for cooking at 275° to 300°.  I preheated the oven and pit at 285° (LHt@20, HHt@65 for you PG users).  The PG-500 is not PID controlled so at this setting the pit swung a few times between 270° and 291° but most of the time it just sat at 288°.  The smoke ranged from light to an infrequent rather heavy, but never white bitter smoke.  It was always blue.  Steady blue smoke at a fairly constant 288°.  SWEET!

After 2¾ hours they were at 140°, just a few minutes before scheduled serving time.

Almost everyone thought that the smoked ham was the better of the two.  That opinion was supported by the leftovers.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Comparison—Ham in Kitchen Range Oven and PG-500
« on: April 06, 2015, 11:31:10 AM »
Nice experiment and I bet a great meal!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 11:32:07 AM »
While the oven offers steady heat....your Cookshack does the same with smokey flavor  8) 8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline pmillen

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 11:50:52 AM »
While the oven offers steady heat....your Cookshack does the same with smokey flavor  8) 8)

Well...Not as steady as natural gas convection but okay for most cooking.  I don't think precise temperature control is as important as many instant read thermometer users think.  A reasonable temperature swing has a limited effect on the food's internal temperature increase rate.  But it's an unpopular opinion, lots of cooks are willing to debate this with me.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 11:54:07 AM »
When I fire up my offset and my goal is lets say 225, I can run between 200-260 due to adding wood and my coal base cooling down. I think it doesn't affect the outcome one bit. Life is too short to be obsessed with precise temp control........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 12:07:05 PM »

Well...Not as steady as natural gas convection but okay for most cooking.  I don't think precise temperature control is as important as many instant read thermometer users think.  A reasonable temperature swing has a limited effect on the food's internal temperature increase rate.  But it's an unpopular opinion, lots of cooks are willing to debate this with me.

You are correct about temperature swings over longer cooks. The average temperature swings do not make a huge difference IMHO. But shorter cooks or delicate recipes require more precision and stable temps. That is why commercial gas ovens use modulating thermostats with a constant pilot. The thermostat modulates the flame down to keep a very precise temperature.

That is how all gas ovens worked before electronic ignition came along. And that is also why old school cooks love those old ovens.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline pmillen

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 12:10:28 PM »
I gave brief thought to putting one ham in my Pit Barrel Cooker.  It has a PID stoker for really good temperature control and the rendered grease dripping on the coals may produce an interesting result.  Has anyone tried it?  I didn't have time for the required research when it occurred to me.

Then, too, the recipe calls for basting every hour.  That would cause the run-off baste to extinguish the coals.  A pan would catch the run-off but would also catch the grease drippings.  Dang!
Paul

Offline pmillen

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 01:34:30 PM »
I think it doesn't affect the outcome one bit. Life is too short to be obsessed with precise temp control........

Agreed.  Then too, temperatures and times in recipes are always rounded.  I never see, "Bake at 322° for 68 minutes."  The published record would be 320° for an hour and 10 minutes.  It's obvious when comparing recipes that are published with both Fahrenheit and Celsius cooking temperatures.  So temperature precision can't be such a big deal.
Paul

Offline Pappymn

Comparison—Ham in Kitchen Range Oven and PG-500
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 05:17:10 PM »
Is that the flat cut Ham they started carrying last year?  I tried them and thought it was an excellent product
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline pmillen

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 10:29:19 PM »
Is that the flat cut Ham they started carrying last year?  I tried them and thought it was an excellent product

I guess so.  It looks as though they cut it from end to end to remove the bone, butterflied it and cured it.  It was pretty good and provides a way to make slices of custom thickness.  I think spiral cuts are much too thin.
Paul

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 09:58:17 AM »
Great thread!

Yep, if most people knew just exactly how much the temp in the average home oven swings, they'd stop worrying about mild temp swings in their grills.

Quote from: pmillen
The smoke ranged from light to an infrequent rather heavy, but never white bitter smoke.

And that right there is the beauty of pellet grills.  They give you that coveted light blueish-grey smoke that enhances the flavor without taking it over.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68