Author Topic: Ramen Umami  (Read 3217 times)

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

Re: Ramen Umami
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 09:35:07 AM »
      Great dish Willy........This is one of those dishes that takes someone who really likes to cook. It can take up to 2 days to make the Kombu Dashi  (seaweed broth) and Tare (miran, sake, soy sauce) plus the meats and veggies.  Then you have to blend it all together. Time consuming but so worth it in the end. The secret to this dish is to make enough broth to be able to freeze for later.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline Willy

Re: Ramen Umami
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 09:54:18 AM »
      Great dish Willy........This is one of those dishes that takes someone who really likes to cook. It can take up to 2 days to make the Kombu Dashi  (seaweed broth) and Tare (miran, sake, soy sauce) plus the meats and veggies.  Then you have to blend it all together. Time consuming but so worth it in the end. The secret to this dish is to make enough broth to be able to freeze for later.

Exactly N.OS, it is all about the broth and Umami. I did a lot of research on traditional Japanese recipe's and I have a couple of people who lived for many years in Japan and Okinawa tell me they had not seen traditional Ramen done right since they left. Sounds like you know Umami very well.
Cookin & Grillin in West Central New Jersey