Author Topic: A Few Missed Cooks  (Read 2256 times)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
A Few Missed Cooks
« Reply #-1 on: April 25, 2015, 06:11:16 PM »
Looked at the camera's memory card and realized how lacking I have been in documenting and posting my cooks.  Even the pics that were there told less than a full story.  The weather has been less than cooperative for the past couple of months (especially rainy for North Texas), so all of my cooks have been short/fast until today when I actually had time to run a butt and some ribs for 9 hours.  Oh well, for what they are worth...

Just a month and a half ago

I forgot to take any pictures of this beauty (CAB chuck shoulder roast) after I cooked it (medium rare in the kamado and sliced).

I love when I can get turkey breast on sale (done in the pooper).

Some big boy spares for lunch today (kamado).

Tonight's dinner (kamado).

I know I have used the offset a few times in the past few months, but I think it was for a big pile of leg quarters each time.  Amazingly, I still have 26 lbs of quarters between the fridge and freezer.  Next weekend...
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: A Few Missed Cooks
« on: April 25, 2015, 06:24:01 PM »
Those are some tasty looking cooks SB!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Pappymn

A Few Missed Cooks
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 06:44:22 PM »
X2
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 06:50:21 PM »
Great looking entrees. 

So the pulled pork (Tonight's Dinner) was smoked on the Vision Kamado.  You also have an offset smoker.  Why did you not use it?

I ask because I have a yen to buy a ceramic kamado but I don't know what it will do for me that my PBC, pellet pit or Weber kettle won't do.  I can't see buying a kamado just 'cause I like outdoor cooking.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 07:05:30 PM »
Great looking entrees. 

So the pulled pork (Tonight's Dinner) was smoked on the Vision Kamado.  You also have an offset smoker.  Why did you not use it?

I ask because I have a yen to buy a ceramic kamado but I don't know what it will do for me that my PBC, pellet pit or Weber kettle won't do.  I can't see buying a kamado just 'cause I like outdoor cooking.

The reason I cooked on the kamado today was because we had some pretty sever rain and wind last night.  The offset was completely soaked this morning.  For me, the kamado is a bit different than all of the other cookers while being a little bit of all of them at the same time.  I have had a WSM as well as a few Weber Kettles and other offsets.  The kamado consolidates the barrel/bullets and kettle in my opinion while doing a little better job of holding steady temps while being more adjustable/manageable then either the WSM or the kettle (and I think a better job than the PBC which like any UDS goes where it wants temp wise).  I honestly don't use the kamado for grilling very much as I don't like getting it that hot and have no interest in burning up the felt.  When I do grill on it, I use a recessed grate that sits very close to a small charcoal load.  I will probably get another kettle at some point exclusively for grilling.  As for the pooper, I really use it for convenience and size only.  The kamado holds temps damn near as easily as the pooper, but it requires more fuel making a really small cook a waste.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 07:08:57 PM »
Nice looking cooks! Thanks for catching up. The turkey looks perfect!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 09:31:44 PM »
Wondered where your cooks have been! All looks delicious!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 11:32:16 AM »
Missed but not forgotten!

Looks excellent!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 11:35:52 AM »
Great looking cooks  :P :P

An off-set is something you don't fire up on a whim. It can take over an hour just to get your pit to temp and a coal base formed. Then you have to babysit it throughout the cook. Not fun on a cold blustery day...thank Goodness for other style cookers................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline hikerman

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 11:40:26 AM »
Real nice cooks SB! You certainly got my appetite going this morning!
I do the same on pics....intending to post but things come up and all of a sudden it's what do I do with all these pics?
We mean well.... ::) :D

TQB

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 12:42:24 PM »
Great looking cooks, and I do it all the time too with pics. Think oh yes this cook will make a nice post, then never do it.  ;D