Author Topic: The char broil 4 burner infra red grill  (Read 58051 times)

Offline okie52

• Edmond OK
The char broil 4 burner infra red grill
« Reply #-1 on: May 11, 2015, 09:23:42 AM »
I just wanted to get some input on the 4 and 5 burner infra red grill by char broil.

I know lowes offers the 4 burner but not the 5 burner.

Many seem pleased with the no flare grates but feel that cleaning the grates is an additional hassle.

I had a char broil commercial 4 burner that I bought in 2008 that worked well but the grates rusted out so I replaced them with grill grates....which worked well for 2 years and then warped. I also had a flare up problem with the grill grates.

I'm hoping to buy either the 4 burner or 5 burner infra red model in the next month so any feedback you can give me would be appreciated.
Traeger Texas Grill w Blazen Grill PID
w/smoke daddy big kajuna
ng converted great outdoors vertical smoker
dcs 24" built in ng grill
50,000 BTU ng side burner
Maverick ET 732
Igrill

Boomer Sooner

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Re: The char broil 4 burner infra red grill
« on: May 11, 2015, 10:05:35 AM »
 I have the Red from Home Depot. It has the trough emitters with cast iron grids. It is several years old now.
There is a large through and a small one. This allows you to save gas or sear on one with lower temps on the other.
 I use it almost every day.
 I like it (a lot) with reservations.
 So Ill do the pros and cons. Its only that the maintenance is high That I have an issue with.

Cons 1st
1. The trough has to be replaced once a year. ( Its a fact and you might as well prepare for it). They end up being about $70.
2. The burners will need to be replaced about every other year. Even though the book says they are warrantied I have NEVER been able to get them warrantied. They are $13 each for my grill.
3. The high medium low stickers will come off shortly after you get it unless CB has figured out how to fix this. You only really need them the first day anyway.

Pros
1. No flare ups !   
2. Gets good gas mileage.
3. Good grates
4. The cast iron pan attachment for the small side is great. ( This is sold as an accessory)
5. Sears well if you turn all burners to high for a few minutes first.

I don't know much about the one from Lowe's. Several others on here have them... I think they are less overall maintenance.   
 My next grill will be a REC-TEC...
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 11:38:39 AM »
I've had the 4 burner Tru-infrared for almost 6 years.  I haven't had to replace the burners, but the emitters and grates I have replaced once a couple of years ago.

This is a versatile grill - hot and fast, or low and slow.  Add chips to get some smoke flavor.  Add a waterpan to maintain moisture, etc.

Stainless steel exterior is pretty easy to clean and polish.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline okie52

• Edmond OK
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 01:45:55 PM »
I have the Red from Home Depot. It has the trough emitters with cast iron grids. It is several years old now.
There is a large through and a small one. This allows you to save gas or sear on one with lower temps on the other.
 So Ill do the pros and cons. Its only that the maintenance is high That I have an issue with.

Cons 1st
1. The trough has to be replaced once a year. ( Its a fact and you might as well prepare for it). They end up being about $70.
2. The burners will need to be replaced about every other year. Even though the book says they are warrantied I have NEVER been able to get them warrantied. They are $13 each for my grill.
3. The high medium low stickers will come off shortly after you get it unless CB has figured out how to fix this. You only really need them the first day anyway.

Pros
1. No flare ups !   
3. Good grates
4. The cast iron pan attachment for the small side is great. ( This is sold as an accessory)

I don't know much about the one from Lowe's. Several others on here have them... I think they are less overall maintenance.   

Thanks for the input. I was happy with my old char broil commercial 4 burner and even more so after I added grill grates (which were a perfect fit).  But the flare up were bad and made it difficult to do a rib eye or other high fat meats.  I also converted mine to NG which really drove up the heat temp top end...I'm assuming because it was able to put out quite a bit more gas than the propane version. 

I have a highly modified texas traeger and it does all my smoking for me but I almost always do a reverse sear on steaks.

I'll probably get the 4 or 5 burner as they are easy to convert to NG.

Thanks again for the input.
w/smoke daddy big kajuna
Maverick ET 732
Igrill

Boomer Sooner

Offline okie52

• Edmond OK
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 01:49:05 PM »
I've had the 4 burner Tru-infrared for almost 6 years.  I haven't had to replace the burners, but the emitters and grates I have replaced once a couple of years ago.

This is a versatile grill - hot and fast, or low and slow.  Add chips to get some smoke flavor.  Add a waterpan to maintain moisture, etc.

Thanks for the input.  I didn't realize the infra red had been out so long. 

One of my main concerns was on cleaning which I've read from other boards can be time consuming.  I don't mind paying more for one although this grill is really to just get me by the next year or so until I build a outdoor kitchen. 
w/smoke daddy big kajuna
Maverick ET 732
Igrill

Boomer Sooner

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 02:00:20 PM »

One of my main concerns was on cleaning which I've read from other boards can be time consuming.  I don't mind paying more for one although this grill is really to just get me by the next year or so until I build a outdoor kitchen.
Cleaning is not time consuming, just set the temp control on "HIGH" wait 15 mins and the grates clean right off.  My HeatWave was simple to clean along with by Big Easy infrared.  Cooks the fats and oils to dust real fast, just don't use high sugar sauces or rubs those will burn fast and stick rock hard to the grates.
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline okie52

• Edmond OK
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 02:22:57 PM »

Cleaning is not time consuming, just set the temp control on "HIGH" wait 15 mins and the grates clean right off.  My HeatWave was simple to clean along with by Big Easy infrared.  Cooks the fats and oils to dust real fast, just don't use high sugar sauces or rubs those will burn fast and stick rock hard to the grates.

Glad to hear that.  I don't have sugar sauces or sugary rubs on my grill very often.

That's how I had always cleaned mine in the past was just crank up the heat and let it burn everything off.  I even want to get my traeger texas grate cut into 3 pieces so I can throw them on the grill for easy cleaning.   
w/smoke daddy big kajuna
Maverick ET 732
Igrill

Boomer Sooner

Offline RAD

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 08:55:42 PM »

Cons 1st

Pros
1. No flare ups !   
3. Good grates

tlg4942 and I have the same grill with the same issues.
Love to cook and eat

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 09:43:09 PM »
I have had the 4 burner RED from HD for 6 or 7 years. Best grill I ever had. The trough emitters wear/rust about once every 18 months. Not a big deal to replace. The grates started to rust after a while, but I was using a Grill Daddy for cleaning that placed water on the grates for cleaning--clean with steam---long term, not a good idea. I ordered the Grill Grates and simply placed them on top of my rusted grates instead of replacing them. That has worked out for the last few years.

The only problem I have now is that my ignite mechanism won't give me a spark, so I have to take off the grates to use Bic lighter to get it started. I have changed the battery, and that worked for a few weeks, but now nothing.

Still, this is my favorite go to grill, and would buy another in a heart beat.

Offline djm3801

• Food is love.
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 10:34:28 PM »
I too have a 4 burner RED. replaced a $1000 2 burner broil master. Maybe 4 years old. Troughs - I get 2 years out of mine. Burners - Still on originals. Grates - no chips or rust but that porcelain coating is sure a crud magnet. I have had cast iron and stainless but the porcelain coated cast iron on this needs to be kept after. Igniters - one went bad after 6 months, the other lasted 3 years. I did not replace them - I use a wand candle lighter from the dollar store in the side holes to light it.

Stainless holding up fine. Painted base rusted and I need to repaint it.

Cooking - As stated - HOT is HOT and low is as low as you want. Cast iron insert fantastic. As far as I am concerned they can redesign the side burner into a separate burner for that cast iron insert. No hot spots. I make pizza out of huge middle eastern pitas and the heat is totally uniform.

Bottom line - My next grill will be whatever the current model of this is. I grill more now that I have this.
Food - It's all good.

Char Broil 4 burner RED
Big Easy
Masterbuilt 40" ss electric smoker
WSM 18"
Large Big Green Egg
Roundboy wood burning pizza oven
Master Grill 3 burner
18" Old Smokey
Chef's Choice 610 slicer - Great tool
New Pit Barrel Cooker (PCB)
Retired Char Broil smoker (RIP old friend)

Offline okie52

• Edmond OK
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 03:53:11 AM »
I appreciate the comments.

I have had a couple of built in grills along with a free standing weber genesis gas grill but my favorite gas grill was the char broil commercial at a much lower cost. I'm glad to hear the char broil infra red has worked for many of you as I plan on making it my next purchase.
w/smoke daddy big kajuna
Maverick ET 732
Igrill

Boomer Sooner

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 08:58:03 AM »
I used to own a 4 burner RED. I did like the grill for it's high heat ability and infrared performance.

It's build quality however leaves little to be desired. If on uneven pavement the bottom cabinet doors would not close properly for example. The stainless steel is lower quality and will rust.

After getting a Memphis pellet grill my RED was mainly used to clean the parts on my pellet grill using high heat instead of wasting pellets to do it.

Then I sold it to my boss.

If it was built to Weber quality it really would be the ultimate grill IMHO.

I just don't think that a grill I spent close to $500 for should require yearly parts replacement.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline djm3801

• Food is love.
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 10:41:03 AM »
I will agree that the quality is not there, and needing to replace troughs every 2 years is unavoidable. My stainless has been fine so I am lucky.
Food - It's all good.

Char Broil 4 burner RED
Big Easy
Masterbuilt 40" ss electric smoker
WSM 18"
Large Big Green Egg
Roundboy wood burning pizza oven
Master Grill 3 burner
18" Old Smokey
Chef's Choice 610 slicer - Great tool
New Pit Barrel Cooker (PCB)
Retired Char Broil smoker (RIP old friend)

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 06:22:38 AM »
My RED outside stainless has held up, even in a salt water environment. I do keep it covered. After 7 years with the RED, my wife surprised me when I cam home with a new cover for it since the old cover was getting a little rank and crusty.

Now if I can just figure out how to replace the igniter!

BTW, how much are the Memphis and other pellets going for these days? Can these pellets come close to the high heat of the RED for searing?

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 09:34:18 AM »
My RED outside stainless has held up, even in a salt water environment. I do keep it covered. After 7 years with the RED, my wife surprised me when I cam home with a new cover for it since the old cover was getting a little rank and crusty.

Now if I can just figure out how to replace the igniter!

BTW, how much are the Memphis and other pellets going for these days? Can these pellets come close to the high heat of the RED for searing?

My Memphis has a max temp of 600F. At that setting the grill temp is much higher. It does have a button that you push to force pellets into the hopper. Using this I can get even higher temps.

The grill is insulated too.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven