Author Topic: Portugues Piri Piri Chicken & Veggies  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Willy

Portugues Piri Piri Chicken & Veggies
« Reply #-1 on: May 12, 2015, 07:41:47 PM »
So I used my imported Piri Piri with African Birds Eye Chili Pepper and boneless skinless thighs today, this is how it went.
Thighs dry rubbed with the Piri Piri and in the fridge for a few hours

Made a basting sauce for the Chix with 1/4 cup EVOO, !/3 cup chicken broth, half a stick of butter, four cloves garlic diced, 3 TBSP of Piri Piri Spice, some fresh Oregano and Cilantro from the garden into a pot and simmered for about 15 minutes and set aside. Juice of half a lemon squeezed in at the end.

Made a basting sauce for the veggies with 1/4 cup EVOO, 1/4 cup Champagne Vinegar, kosher and fresh ground along with the zest of one lemon and Crushed Red Pepper

Fresh Jersey Gus cut back and the stalk ends peeled, Eggplant sliced and all doused well

Chix on the OTG over Lump, basted three times

Corn roasted, then the veggies

Thank God winter is over

The flavor of the Piri Piri is incredible, the plate

Cookin & Grillin in West Central New Jersey

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Portugues Piri Piri Chicken & Veggies
« on: May 12, 2015, 07:52:48 PM »
Another fantastic cook Bill! Mouthwatering!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 09:17:42 PM »
Never tried Piri - would be interested to hear how it tastes. But, that cook and final plate - YIKES that looks good! The bastes sound delicious as well. Thanks for the post!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pappymn

Portugues Piri Piri Chicken & Veggies
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 09:35:04 PM »
No idea what piri is, but the plate looks awesome
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline hikerman

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 10:06:14 PM »
Beautiful cook Willy! 

Offline Willy

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 10:52:01 PM »
Never tried Piri - would be interested to hear how it tastes. But, that cook and final plate - YIKES that looks good! The bastes sound delicious as well. Thanks for the post!

DrHolly, Piri Piri is a traditional spice combo used all over Portugal and a lot of Spain. It is a combo spice but the main ingredient that separates from all others is the use of African Birds Eye Chili's. The heat factor is slightly less than Jalapeno's but it's main attraction is a very earthy warmth I have never experienced in any other Chili Pepper. If you go to Portugal it is used in many dishes but the Chicken is the most well known throughout Europe. In America there is an attempt to replace the Birds Eye with other Chili's but it does not taste any where near the same. After much searching I ended up buying it directly from a Portuguese supplier and waiting three weeks for delivery. It was very much worth it. When you use it during cooking it fills your home with an aroma that is quite pleasing to say the least.
This is the link I used to finally get it

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B007PSVHMU/tvwb-20
Cookin & Grillin in West Central New Jersey

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 11:03:02 PM »

DrHolly, Piri Piri is a traditional spice combo used all over Portugal and a lot of Spain. It is a combo spice but the main ingredient that separates from all others is the use of African Birds Eye Chili's. The heat factor is slightly less than Jalapeno's but it's main attraction is a very earthy warmth I have never experienced in any other Chili Pepper. If you go to Portugal it is used in many dishes but the Chicken is the most well known throughout Europe. In America there is an attempt to replace the Birds Eye with other Chili's but it does not taste any where near the same. After much searching I ended up buying it directly from a Portuguese supplier and waiting three weeks for delivery. It was very much worth it. When you use it during cooking it fills your home with an aroma that is quite pleasing to say the least.
This is the link I used to finally get it

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B007PSVHMU/tvwb-20

Willy, thank you for that. Actually, I have been to Portugal and Spain, and likely had this without really knowing it. I loved the meals we had there (we don't go to resorts - but to little towns / villages.) I ordered some from Amazon and am looking forward to trying it myself. Thank you for the tip!

Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 03:27:39 AM »
That is some pretty looking grub.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 04:52:41 AM »
Nice looking meal.  I just picked up some fresh Jersey Asparagus for our mother's day meal and it was some of the best I have had in a long time.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 05:07:36 AM »
Looks awesome thank you for sharing ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 08:05:02 AM »
Great looking cook! I'm ordering some Piri Piri
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 09:35:56 PM »
My Piri Piri sauce arrived - took a quick taste.... that is good! Instantly I thought of eggs, sausage, potatoes, and tortillas - breakfast tomorrow. Thank you for the tip, Willy!
Member #

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 10:04:20 PM »
I don't know how I missed this one.  I want to try this recipe.  Bookmarked.  I'll get some Piri Piri the next time I go by the spice stores.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11