Author Topic: Cleaning Cast Iron  (Read 64650 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Cleaning Cast Iron
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2015, 09:05:57 PM »
Has anyone tried this for restoring cast iron? My first thought was Tend-a-Rub...  ??? ??? ???

But there seems to be a lot of support for it.

So, is there a challenge in the offing????

BD

I am not suggesting it for regular or tough cleaning - I love my "chain mail" for that. Emma and the BF were using my favorite skillet the other night and scorched on a bunch of gunk - of course, left it for me to clean the next day. The "chain mail" did a great job and did not hurt the seasoning!

However, I do find old CI from time to time, and there are some pieces that sit in the garage because they don't get used often and collect some or a lot of rust. I've looked at a variety of options to remove the rust - this looks so easy (not cheap), I almost have to try it. Supposedly, it is safe to use on pans, etc. My only concern is, when I look for local dealers - they are all automotive shops!  ??? ??? Just wondering if there are residual chemicals... That's why I ask if anyone has heard about it or had any experience?

Thanks!

D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2015, 09:45:59 PM »
David, believe it or not, one of the best ways to remove rust from cast iron is to soak it in Coca Cola. Soak it overnight but not too long or it will start to eat the iron.
As soon as you take the iron out of the Coke, wash it very well and dry it very well an then begin to reseason it before rust has a chance to start again.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2015, 10:29:09 PM »
Ken, I have a large pan (about 20") that we like to use for frying tacos, etc. Well, an occasion is approaching, and once again, the pan has been in the garage collecting rust. Last time I spent a day with my dremel cleaning it out and another 2 days re-seasoning. I am up for a new process and will give your Coca-Cola method a try. Thanks!

BTW - If I am planning to make some Tex-Mex, should I use Coke with Lime?...  ;) ;D ;D ;D
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2015, 11:05:16 PM »
I got my chain mail a few days ago David and I will sure give it a try. Videos show it works great. I am not sure about the Evapo Rust, the video shows it does work. I checked their site and nothing in the FAQ's says it's safe for using on cast iron you cook with. But The slide show at the top does show and old rusty griddle and then shows shrimp being cooked on it. I will stay with the self-cleaning oven for my method. One thing I know it cooks all the old grease out but not too good on the rust. I like this video on using the self-cleaning oven and then he uses steel wool to take the rust off & works if it's not too deep. I used grape seed oil but like this guy says he uses Crisco, if it was good enough for Mom it's good enough for me!
The guy also has a site that has a lot of info on cast iron. I liked one video he shows two Finex skillets he bought, one he was letting develop the patina of seasoning on it's own and the other he seasoned, here is the link to his site.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpDkBZeJxpjAjdpqA5x6K6Q

Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline highball

• South of Seattle
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 11:24:37 PM »
I have been using a KnappMade chainmail scrubber for a few years and highly recommend this for anyone who cooks with cast iron or carbon steel . I also use the plastic scrappers that lodge makes

[attachment deleted by admin]

Weber 26
Blackstone Griddle
Green Egg
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Performer
24" Discada
RT-700 Bull

Best Regards,
 Mike

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2015, 08:20:59 PM »
Interesting to say the least.   I volunteer at our local historical society, and one of our projects each spring is tours for the 4th graders in our local schools.   One of the "stops" for the kids we call "History's Mysteries."   One of the items is a "scrubber" made of smallish chains pulled together and bound on top, with a wooden handle.   Maybe it will have to "disappear" and I'll try it.    Naw, I wouldn't do that, but same principle.    One thing that works well for me is salt--especially coarse salt.  Enough abrasiveness to scrub it, but not take the seasoning out of the cast iron.   

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 02:25:39 PM »
Been a while...

Made a ham steak in my favorite CI skillet last night... included a butter / brown sugar glaze. Added some mashed potatoes, green beans, biscuits, and GRAVY. Was a nice meal.

However, a teenage romance drama broke out soon after dinner and the clean up was left for today...  ??? ???

Most dishes / plates, etc. were no problem. BUT, my favorite CI skillet that cooked the ham and the brown sugar glaze was still sitting on the stove this morning, and I had an early client meeting. I didn't get back until about 1pm... YIKES!

I ran some very hot water in the sink and pulled out the "chain mail." Less than 5 minutes the skillet was clean! I dried it with paper towels and put it on a low burner to make sure it was very dry. Then rubbed some grape seed oil into it, let it warm for a bit and wiped it out. I repeated this 2 more times. It looks like it is ready for eggs to make biscuits and gravy this weekend. This is a very cool tool!

Pictures show the skillet with the ham and glaze, after cleaning and after oiling and drying.

Member #

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 02:42:32 PM »
Chain mail is the best cleaning tool for CI.... in my opinion.  Where are some more pictures of this ham steak!?!?!
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2015, 03:04:56 PM »
ak - I agree, best thing for CI. I also use it on my mineral iron and even stainless pans - works great.

Sorry no more pictures of the ham - was just a simple weeknight dinner with family, and boyfriends (led to the drama...)

It WAS a pretty good ham, but to my taste a bit salty (I didn't add any salt and the butter was unsalted.) Just browned it in the skillet (no oil) and then sprinkled a bit of Super Pork. Flipped a couple of times and added the butter and brown sugar. Added enough to make a glaze and let it melt and the ham get hot.

Only took the one picture cause it looked kinda tasty...  ;) :D Most of my cooks are for family, unless it is something unique or special, they have very little patience for photos... I keep trying...  ;D ;D ;D
Member #

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2015, 04:03:55 PM »
David,thats one darn good looking griddle,can see why its a favorite.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline muralboy

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2015, 05:29:33 PM »
And when you're not using it you can hang it in your dungeon or make it a part of your Renaissance Fair costume. 8)

Interesting product.  I have a Lodge griddle pan and it's always a pain to clean between the ridges.  Bet this would work just fine.

Thanks for sharing.
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2015, 06:13:16 PM »
And when you're not using it you can hang it in your dungeon or make it a part of your Renaissance Fair costume. 8)

Interesting product.  I have a Lodge griddle pan and it's always a pain to clean between the ridges.  Bet this would work just fine.

Thanks for sharing.

I have the griddle pan as well, and YES it does an excellent job. Never thought of adding this to my dungeon - good idea, thanks!
Member #