Author Topic: Eye of Round Roast  (Read 2927 times)

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
Eye of Round Roast
« Reply #-1 on: May 25, 2015, 07:36:06 AM »
This was a 3lbs beef eye of round roast.  This was also my first time cooking with particular cut of beer.  I was a bit worried about this cook.  We had company coming over and I read that these can get quite tough.  Those fears went away as soon as I cut into it.  It was tender and juicy, with a nice crust. It was rubbed with Weber beef rub and rested in fridge for 6hrs.  I was torn between using my Weber kettle and my PBC.  I went with the Weber because I wanted a little more control and predictability over the cook.  I love my barrel, but sometimes its hard to guess a finishing time.  Especially on something I have never made before.  Set the kettle up for indirect cooking, snake method with 12 lit briquettes and a drip trey full of water.  It cooked for 2hrs 50min, to an internal temp of 140.  Pulled it off the grill and let it rest for 15min.   It was medium well, but I was shooting for medium rare.  So next time I will pull it a little earlier, l think about 135.  Everyone liked it, said I should make that one again.  Happy Memorial Day to all.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: Eye of Round Roast
« on: May 25, 2015, 08:07:47 AM »
That is a difficult piece of meat to cook.  I know two ways to make it "eat tender".  Cook low and slow to about 130, let it rest a bit and then slice really thin across the grain.  The other way I have been using lately is to vacuum seal the seasoned roast and send it for a long swim in my Sous Vide pool.  Probably 6 to 8 hours in the pool in a water temperature of 125 - 130.  After removing the meat from the package (save the juice from the bag) I will do a quick sear over a hot fire to get some color on the outside.  Now when you go to slice this meat, it will be really tender.  You can slice it in thicker pieces.  Serve.  Oh yes, don't forget your aus jus.  I take that and reduce slightly in a sauce pan.  Serve this on the side for dipping.

Hope this helps.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 09:11:34 AM »
Good looking roast, Dave. Pretty gutsy to try something new (ad potentially difficult) for company - looks like you did a great job.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 09:12:35 AM »
That is a difficult piece of meat to cook.  I know two ways to make it "eat tender".  Cook low and slow to about 130, let it rest a bit and then slice really thin across the grain.  The other way I have been using lately is to vacuum seal the seasoned roast and send it for a long swim in my Sous Vide pool.  Probably 6 to 8 hours in the pool in a water temperature of 125 - 130.  After removing the meat from the package (save the juice from the bag) I will do a quick sear over a hot fire to get some color on the outside.  Now when you go to slice this meat, it will be really tender.  You can slice it in thicker pieces.  Serve.  Oh yes, don't forget your aus jus.  I take that and reduce slightly in a sauce pan.  Serve this on the side for dipping.

Hope this helps.

Art

Art, Do you put a rub on the roast before putting it in the bath?
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline RAD

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 09:15:56 AM »
Looks good, thanks for posting this. I am going to give this a try now
Love to cook and eat

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 09:52:24 AM »
Roast looks good to me!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 09:55:27 AM »
Definitely looks tasty to me! Great cook!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 10:08:39 AM »
Eye of round can be a good choice but if not done right it can be tough and no flavor

I brine mine 12 hrs min with a basic brine and smoke low till about 120 then sear the outside .

I use tomato paste on the outside with the rub because the "UMAMI" adds beey flavor to the roast
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 10:09:34 AM »

Hope this helps.

Art

Yes, I do.  Usually something like Top Secret since it works so well with beef.  The aus jus is awesome when using this rub.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 10:20:36 AM »

Hope this helps.

Art

Yes, I do.  Usually something like Top Secret since it works so well with beef.  The aus jus is awesome when using this rub.

Art

Thx
Member #

Offline Pappymn

Eye of Round Roast
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 11:40:40 AM »
Gonna need some gravy
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 11:49:20 AM »
Good looking hunk of beast!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline hikerman

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 11:52:54 AM »
Nice job! And I agree with Art 100%.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 12:06:48 PM »
Nice job on one tough pc of bovine  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32