Author Topic: Question.... For pellet pooper owners  (Read 3115 times)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Question.... For pellet pooper owners
« Reply #-1 on: May 22, 2015, 09:42:41 AM »
Now I have had a Rec-Tec for a short time and a homebuilt pooper for over close to 2 years. 

It seems to me that the pellets I'm using are leaving more dust than ever.  I used Traeger pellets (which I stopped) and they left a fare amount of dust but switch to BBQ's Delight and had much better results.

But the last few cooks in either grill with BBQ's seem to be leaving more hash/dust than before.   Is it me or has anyone using these pellets seen the same thing?   

After reading HOS little adventure with a grill fire  ???  I thought I'd look and clean mine and this is where I found the issue.

Is there a better pellet to use?  Is Cookinpellets better??

Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Question.... For pellet pooper owners
« on: May 22, 2015, 09:47:25 AM »
I have found that BBQer's Delight, and Cookin' Pellets were the best as far as low ash. I have heard it is because they don't use any bark in their pellets, whereas others may.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 10:10:00 AM »
Is it possible that in time pellets start breaking down?  :-\
Also how the bags are handled has to have an effect! 

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 10:18:01 AM »
I use Cookinpellets and do not get a lot of ash.  I have ran up to about 12 hours without a problem.  I also vacuum the pot after each cook.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 10:44:20 AM »
I did extensive pellet testing for Eric a couple of years ago using a Rec Tec and a Yoder. The pellets that had the less ash was Cooking Pellets and Green Mountain Grills Gold blend.

IMHO, you can't get a better overall pellet blend than Perfect Mix from Cooking Pellets.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 12:44:51 PM »
I have found that BBQer's Delight, and Cookin' Pellets were the best as far as low ash. I have heard it is because they don't use any bark in their pellets, whereas others may.

I agree Tim. I am seeing a bit more ash from the Lumberjack that I ever saw using either one of those.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 01:23:24 PM »
I know everyone is talking about ash but any wood dust in bagged pellets if dumped into hopper will be converted into ash dust. I use GMG, Cookin' Pellets,  and Lumberjack,  all with good results. But occasionally each brand has given me a bag with a bit more dust than normal. I find that I must vacuum out the grill more often when this occurs. No biggie!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 01:34:29 PM »
When I cleaned the Rec-Tec there seemed to be a lot of ash, but what really got me was the amount of ash in the fire pot of the Traeger burner.  It was cleaned just before I used it for a 3 hrs slow cook on venison. 

The amount of ash in the pot was incredible, you could barely see the hot rod in the pot it was so thick.  Makes me wonder if BBQ's Delight changed something in their pellets.

Does anyone know who makes Rec-Tec pellets?  I have 80 lbs of those still in bags never opened     
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 06:08:23 PM »
I have used Green Mountain Gold Pellets until I switched to Green Mountain Texas Blend a few months ago. Not a lot of ash with either pellet. I love the Texas blend because it seems to burn hotter and uses less pellets on a long low and slow cook. I think it is a blend of oak and mesquite. This is the first pellet that I really can smell and taste the difference in smoke flavor. I buy it at Texas Star Grills in Houston for $12.95 for 28 pounds. Every once in a while it is on sale for $10. I burned a bag of CookinPellets Hickory a while back (thanks to Old Dave) and they didn't leave much ash either and I was very pleased with them.

Does anyone know who makes Rec-Tec pellets?     

Tommy, I can almost answer that question because I bought a couple of bags from them in Augusta and as I was standing there waiting for them to bring it out, I asked that very question and got a good answer, but wouldn't you know that my old age and lack of memory won't let me recall the answer. Now Dee was standing right beside me and his mind is a steel trap so he should be able to answer your question.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 06:15:12 PM by IR2dum »

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 08:55:32 PM »
Tommy,
Talk to Tee.  I happen to know he has somewhere in the neighborhood of 1400 pounds of pellets in his basement.  You might be able to talk him into selling him a few bags.  I could bring them with me to Paducah.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline okie52

• Edmond OK
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 09:05:43 AM »
I've been using BBQ delight for about 1 1/2 years now and haven't run into any problems or noticed any changes in ash production.

On a side note I did find BBQ delight rebranded as B&B cooking pellets for Academy and have been getting them for $10-12 per 20lb bag.
Traeger Texas Grill w Blazen Grill PID
w/smoke daddy big kajuna
ng converted great outdoors vertical smoker
dcs 24" built in ng grill
50,000 BTU ng side burner
Maverick ET 732
Igrill

Boomer Sooner

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 09:54:05 AM »
I have been using Traeger Oak pellets in my Traeger for over 4 years with no problems, I used to clean after every cook but now will go 3 or 4 cooks and no problem. Traeger pellets are the only ones I can buy locally. I went through a period last year where I seemed to be getting a lot of fly ash in the cooking area. Sandman was using the same pellets as I was in his Traeger and he had no problem. I cleaned mine out and emptied the auger, didn't help. The problem just went away so I don't know what caused it.

I have used quite a few bags of Cooking Pellets perfect mix and 100%hickory. They work good in my Traeger. I prefer the 100%hickory. I would be ordering some now but old age and my back makes it hard to handle the 40 lb. bags. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 10:04:37 AM »
Tommy the lower temp the cook the more ash you will have.

I have found cookin pellets to be great on the ash level.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven