Author Topic: Pork butt gone wild  (Read 2804 times)

Offline dane2992

Pork butt gone wild
« Reply #-1 on: July 11, 2015, 02:27:01 AM »
Ok so my parents are coming in tomorrow for a visit. So I decided to cook up a nice butt for my dad's bday dinner. So to start I have a 8lb butt it will get smothered in molasses and then seasoned with fine swine and bovine and some three pigs kc sweet and touch it with some super pig. It'll smoke for oh let's say 2hrs and then turn the traeger up go  225°-250°, will pull the butt off at about 195°-200° internal temp. It'll get foiled towel and tossed in a cooler for two hours. After the smoking period every hour or so I will pour some kern's peach nectar. So lets begin!
Going to let the molasses set and then add the rub.

For fun and bordem I made an extension hopper! So at the bottom is all the apple flavor and in the "extension" is maple. I will have to make a run to pick up two packs of pellets since all I have is now in the hopper. So hopefully it doesn't run out while I make my run or I will cry:'(

So the butt got put on at 2:25 am at 225°. After I wake up I'll turn it up and pour some peach nectar on and then make my run into town for more pellets.
After almost 4 hrs

So just probed the butt and it looks to be at the stall period unless I have to reposition the probe.l (will check) but I've noticed the temps are about 20° higher on the far side of the barrel and the buts in the middle so I'm going to say its been cooking between 225°-250°. Was hoping for a slower cook.lol

So its 1000 and it hit the stall period. The probe check was good. So after almost 8hrs

Ok so at 3:00 I pulled the butt off and did the foil,towel, and cooler for 3 hrs. Best I've done. Pulled so easily ! Can taste the peach nectar as well. Very happy with the results
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 08:13:45 PM by dane2992 »

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: Pork butt gone wild
« on: July 11, 2015, 08:28:14 AM »
Interesting thought and concept.  Remember that the meat will not accept much of the smoke flavor once it reaches an IT of around 150.  I like the thought of being able to layer the smoke flavors. 

Following this one.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 10:14:31 AM »
Looks yummy already.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 10:24:16 AM »
The molasses will create a great bark!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline dane2992

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 10:40:00 AM »
Would pouring the peach nectar ruin the bark?

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 10:59:51 AM »
I forgot where I got this injection recipe, but here it is with peach nectar:

2 cups peach nectar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup butcher phosphate
2 teaspoons Worcestershire
1 teaspoon dry mustard

Inject and let set in refrigerator overnight.

Some other good injections for pork are Tee's Lizano Salsa, and a curry, coffee, and Fine Swine and Bovine injection.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 11:54:39 AM »

All my butts get the golden goo.  Mike taught me that.  Best bark ever.  Yours looks great.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline dane2992

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 12:09:04 PM »

All my butts get the golden goo.  Mike taught me that.  Best bark ever.  Yours looks great.
When you did the molasses, did you spray or pour anything on the butt? Checked mine and the outer skin is sticky

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 12:26:38 PM »
I would hold off on the peach nectar. It would be good for an injection. Every time you spritz down your meat you are cooling the exterior of the protein and losing precious heat everytime adding to your cook time.

You also don't want to do anything to compromise the good bark that you are going to get................

You probably already know this, but there is an outfit that makes sweet looking hopper extensions for your Traeger..............

Everything is looking real good so far............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 01:42:23 PM »

I've never tried adding molasses, but I will be giving it a try.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline dane2992

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2015, 04:29:03 PM »
I would hold off on the peach nectar. It would be good for an injection. Every time you spritz down your meat you are cooling the exterior of the protein and losing precious heat everytime adding to your cook time.

You also don't want to do anything to compromise the good bark that you are going to get................

You probably already know this, but there is an outfit that makes sweet looking hopper extensions for your Traeger..............

Everything is looking real good so far............
To late on the nectar.lol and I know a hopper extension is on the market but funds tell me something different. Lol I only needed enough to make sure it made it through the morning so I could get some sleep. Was just for reassuring purposes. Plus my next purchase is going to be the add on grill grate so I can smoke more items
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 04:43:43 PM by dane2992 »