Author Topic: Not my best brisket effort!  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Smokerjunky

Not my best brisket effort!
« Reply #-1 on: August 03, 2015, 12:07:44 PM »
Just when I thought I had it kind of dialed in I stopped paying attention and let my quality slip.  I am not sure if it was actually the brisket itself or the fact that I was running around doing chores and let it set in the stall for too long.  Either way it turned out OK but was not as moist as other brikets I have done.  The flavor was outstanding but just not the best effort.  I will definately pay more attention next time.

It was a 6.5 lb flat from Costco.  Rubbed the night before - smoked with mesquite (my favorite for brisket) for two hours at 165 degrees then up to 225 - as stated earlier I did not get it wrapped when I normally do so it sat in the stall range around 165 IT for probably a couple hours before I got it wrapped.  Dinner time was coming up quickly so I wrapped it in foil and cranked it up to 295.  I pulled it at 205 internal temp (probed to make sure it was tender) then FTC for about 90 minutes before slicing for dinner. 

Total cook time was about 10 hours.

Tonight the leftovers will be used for our personal favorite - Brisket Dip Sandwiches.

Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Not my best brisket effort!
« on: August 03, 2015, 12:17:30 PM »
Looks very good.  Sometimes it is the specific piece of meat that is the culprit.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 12:24:53 PM »
A long stall (imho) is not going to hurt. As long as the connective tissues break down, you are all set. Was the flat trimmed to lean at the market? Flats are pretty lean. If I would only do a flat I would not trim the fat and cook it fat cap down. This will help protect the leaner cut during the cook.

As Sliding Billy stated, sometimes you are doomed when you have made your choice in the market......you just find out after the cook  :(
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 12:35:47 PM »
A long stall (imho) is not going to hurt. As long as the connective tissues break down, you are all set. Was the flat trimmed to lean at the market? Flats are pretty lean. If I would only do a flat I would not trim the fat and cook it fat cap down. This will help protect the leaner cut during the cook.

As Sliding Billy stated, sometimes you are doomed when you have made your choice in the market......you just find out after the cook  :(

It still had a solid fat cap on it.  I have always cooked it with the fat cap up to let the rendered juices flow down into the meat and it has served me well.  I have read about people cooking both ways - cap up and cap down.  I have tried it both ways and I could not tell a difference.  Maybe it was, in fact, the cut of meat. 

Thanks for the feedback  :D
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 12:40:25 PM »
I have to find the article I read about how the fat really does not render through the meat. Some big costly scientific study...big waste of time and money.  I tend to use the fat cap as a 'buffer" to protect the meat during long cooks.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

Not my best brisket effort!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 07:14:33 PM »
Looks good from here
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 07:41:04 PM »
Looks good from here

Just north of you and looks good to me!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 07:57:50 PM »
If everything I cooked was perfect I'd be even fatter than I am ???
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp