Author Topic: Bacon cookin' questions..  (Read 4235 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Bacon cookin' questions..
« Reply #-1 on: August 14, 2015, 08:23:59 AM »
I've got a couple of questions as to cooking what is perhaps God's favorite meat...otherwise he wouldn't have made it taste soooooo good.

At what temperature do you find best for cooking bacon--low, medium, medium-high, or high?

Do you find bacon crisps better when the pan is dry, has a little grease or floating in grease?

As an aside, the other day I was cooking a lot of bacon and had three different frying pans on the stove I as using: carbon steel, cast iron, and stainless.  The carbon steel was the quickest, followed by the cast iron, and then the stainless steel.

I have some carbon steel frying pans I got from Brad when they closed their restaurant and they are really great.  They will become non-stick over time if you handle them right.  This issue of Cook's Illustrative has an excellent article on carbon steel frying pans.  You may want to check it out.

Everyone swears by the All-Clad cookware and it is great, but very expensive.  Thankfully, I've got all the cookware I need, and then some, I really can't even talk myself into buying a new set.  However, if I were I'd seriously look at at what OXO has with a 13 piece set for $399.  It is really nice and I would bet it will give All-Clad a run for its money. One thing I like is the inside of the pans and pots have the measuring lines so  you can see how much of something you have.

Sorry, about adding all that cookware stuff in but it tied into the bacon stuff.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: Bacon cookin' questions..
« on: August 14, 2015, 09:29:04 AM »
Dee,
Good question.  I have all three types of pans.  Here is my take on it.  I use my cast iron pan the most for bacon.  It is really well seasoned and it is a 12" pan, my largest pan.  I have the 10" DuBuyer and the 10" All-Clad.  If I am making a sauce like the Marsala I made recently, I use the All-Clad.  I use the DuBuyer for cooking eggs most of the time.

On the other hand, if I am cooking a lot of bacon, I will put a cooling rack on a large pan and use my oven set at 350.  The fat drips off and can be reserved for later use.  This way I keep the stove top clean of grease/fat.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 09:53:43 AM »
I cook my bacon on a foil lined sheet pan in the oven at 425 degrees. This allows me to continue to cook other things naked while not getting burned. ???

I have had All Clad for 25 years. Great product
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 10:00:23 AM »
I like the oven method (at 350*) for bacon - it frees the burners and griddle up for everything else and the bacon comes out nice and flat. I've used Calphalon for as long as I can remember (along with cast iron.) But I am really liking my DuBuyers.
And for the record, I don't cook naked as it would likely frighten my stove and the pilot lights would go out.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 10:31:45 AM »
Wendy cooks at 350 in the oven for 15 minutes on parchment paper....super good bacon and easy cleaning.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 10:45:44 AM »
I find that bacon seems to taste a little better when fried on the stove top. I use med. heat and fry it in my Lodge carbon steel most of the time.
When doing up a whole pound I like to do on frog mats and my Traeger pellet smoker at about 300 deg. grill level, and takes about an hour. There is almost no clean up afterwards. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline tailfeathers

• To blessed to be distressed!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 10:48:50 AM »
Lately I've started cooking bacon on my Rec Tec. I ordered a sheet of Qmatz from a-maze-n and cut it to fit. I crank it up to 400 and lay the sliced bacon on the mat. Turns out really good bacon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bradley 6 rack digital w/ 900w mod
auber pid
Rec Tec 680
Ducane gasser
weber kettles
Anova precision SV
Kitchenaide mixer/chef's choice grinder
LEM stuffer
Vacmaster VP112 chamber sealer
A-maze-n Qmatz/tubes
Cabela's 10" slicer
Cook-Air grill
Cabela's 80L dehydrator

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 11:05:02 AM »
I like to cook on medium low heat. Take time cooking my bacon to perfection.

On a square skillet while draining the grease often. I like my bacon crispy. I find keeping the grease at a minimum gives me the results I like the best.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 11:10:44 AM »
I cook all my bacon on my pellet grill.  Perfectly cooked at 300 degrees.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline hikerman

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 11:28:30 AM »
I cook all my bacon on my pellet grill.  Perfectly cooked at 300 degrees.

Agree with Sparky except during Illinois Winters, then it's in a 325F oven on a rack over a foil-lined sheet pan with plenty of Super Pig rub! ;)

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 02:51:53 PM »
 I use cast iron as much as possible. I like the large fry pan for bacon.   I try to do medium heat and just give it the time it needs. But sometimes well...its bacon and I tend to hurry it a bit.... The pain of the popping grease is just part of the experience  ;D.
 When its not 900 degrees outside like this summer has been. I like to cook it on the grill. I have some cooling sheets that work perfectly as grates.
  Kerry uses the griddle set around medium and it pretty much turns out perfect every time. But so does most things she cooks. She is one of those people who measures every grain of flour, every crystal of sugar, knows exactly how many times to stir something...etc.  The upside is all those add up to awesome most of the time.

As far as the OXO pans. Everything we have that's OXO is pretty good. I would expect the pots would be as well. The thing with pots is that I have a variety of favorites...
Rarely are they the same brand.  Out of 7 or 8 cast iron skillets I will almost always reach for one of two of those that I seem to prefer.  Except for the dedicated weekday cornbread cast iron which is missing the handle and fits the small oven perfectly.   I have a boiler pan that I acquired from a friends mom years ago, Its my favorite pan of all. I bet its from the Fifties... Double wall design and like the Revere Ware nothing sticks much and when it does its easy to get clean still...
 Kerry has an old Revere Ware skillet .Fantastic pan... Then we have a few of those large expensive non stick pans that are great but I'm afraid to use...   
So with all that long windiness I guess I'm saying a complete set of anything isn't really for me.  same goes for knives..
Terry "Way down in Alabama"