Author Topic: Charbroil Kettleman vs Weber Kettle  (Read 14826 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Charbroil Kettleman vs Weber Kettle
« Reply #-1 on: August 26, 2015, 05:18:19 PM »
Weber Nation...don't hate..just watch  ;)

Charcoal placement on the Kettleman

HSN got in the action as well
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: Charbroil Kettleman vs Weber Kettle
« on: August 26, 2015, 05:39:29 PM »
That's nice. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 05:48:44 PM »
Very interesting!  Does anyone make a grate like the Charbroil grate for the Weber?

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 05:54:57 PM »
Very interesting!  Does anyone make a grate like the Charbroil grate for the Weber?

Art
Just get GrillGrates Art.   

It was told to me CharBroil (let me be careful here) tried to copy GrillGrates when they designed the SRG grate which is the same grate as this one. 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline jjjonz

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 06:18:02 PM by jjjonz »
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 06:20:51 PM »
I have the prototype - it is an SRG grate - works super well!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 06:53:38 PM »
Nibble me this has a nice review and they state the Kettleman is not a Weber clone...check it out
http://www.nibblemethis.com/2015/04/product-review-char-broil-kettleman-tru.html
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 07:07:29 PM »
Weber Nation...don't hate..just watch  ;)

Hey Smoke, no hate here, just no real interest in doing something different from what I'm doing now.

If you're happy with the new toy, I am extremely happy for you, too!

As Sly Stone said, "Different strokes for different folks."

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 07:15:46 PM »
Very interesting Smoke. You know that I am a Weber guy but am willing to try something new.  ;)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 08:22:49 PM »
I think most of the reviewers out there are saying this really is not a Weber Knock-off. While Kettle styled, it has too many different things going on to actually compare it to a Weber. I almost question Char-Broils decision to make the CB vs Weber video I posted.

Weber is on top of the mountain and nobody is going to knock em off anytime soon. I have cooked on many Webers and I enjoy this grill so much more. I think Char-Broil should just let it stand on its own merits......it is an amazing grill  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 08:54:45 PM »

Weber is on top of the mountain and nobody is going to knock em off anytime soon. I have cooked on many Webers and I enjoy this grill so much more. I think Char-Broil should just let it stand on its own merits......it is an amazing grill  :)

Ok, ok......I have been really quite.  No disrespect here but really.  This grill against a weber kettle.  No even close.  Weber have been around forever and I love mine.  That's it, your out of the secret club.  Plz forget the secret knock to get into the clubhouse.  Lol.........
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 11:58:00 AM by sparky »
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 09:32:55 PM »
Ok so in the first video I think a few things need to be noted.

The charcoal is much closer to the grate level on the CB so this will cook burgers faster of course with or without the special IR grate. I am sure raising the height of the charcoal bed might not be an issue on a Weber.

Also most anyone knows to have a spray bottle handy to knock down flare ups on fatty burgers so letting the fire get out of control on the Weber is not a fair test IMHO.

I have no dog in this fight and honestly I would probably buy the CB grill regardless because I love the way that SRG grate cooks.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 10:21:45 PM »

Ok, ok......I have been really quite.  No respect here but really.  This grill against a weber kettle.  No even close.  Weber have been around forever and I love mine.  That's it, you out of the secret club.  Plz forget the secret knock to get into the clubhouse.  Lol.........

:D :D   I wish you could do a couple of cooks one one Spark........ ;D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 10:24:41 PM »
Ok so in the first video I think a few things need to be noted.

The charcoal is much closer to the grate level on the CB so this will cook burgers faster of course with or without the special IR grate. I am sure raising the height of the charcoal bed might not be an issue on a Weber.

Also most anyone knows to have a spray bottle handy to knock down flare ups on fatty burgers so letting the fire get out of control on the Weber is not a fair test IMHO.

I have no dog in this fight and honestly I would probably buy the CB grill regardless because I love the way that SRG grate cooks.

I think what CB was trying to show in the video is that you don't get flare-ups in the CB but you can in the Weber...or for most grills for that matter...especially trying to cook 12 burgers at once on a 22.5 grill.

I have not come even close to a flare up on the CB. I normally trim my chicken thighs to help with that, but last nights I didn't......pretty cool not to have to worry about the dreaded flame up  8) 8)   Maybe Weber should carry their own line of spray bottles  :D :D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 11:00:28 PM »
I only have a prototype and I am sure the final version is different. I am also not an expert on the Weber even though I have owned the original and a Performer for many years. Like my good friend Jaxon might say - I am just a back yard cook...

However, I do have to say I used my Kettleman again tonight as I do most every night. The burgers were great - no flare-ups. Had a hot and a cool side so I could make them the way most of us like them and burn the one for my oldest daughter. Also made some corn - grilled in the husk and pulled when done - excellent! Actually, we had more than we could eat and my dog (Roscoe - it is National dog day... :) ) had 2 ears himself - he LOVES corn on the cob!

I have a Weber Performer on my deck and love using it. But when time is tight and we are trying to get dinner done, I tend to go to the front porch and use the CB Kettleman - just closer and easier. It is easy to control - NEVER a flare up. MY daughters like to use it for cooking because it is so easy.

Honestly, I did NOT expect this from Char Broil. But it works, it works well, and I like it!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #