Author Topic: Smoked Beer Braised BBQ Chicken and Cornbread Cakes  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Smoked Beer Braised BBQ Chicken and Cornbread Cakes
« Reply #-1 on: August 27, 2015, 01:09:19 AM »
Aug 26 2015

Cooking a chicken this way has been in my mind for a long time. Years ago when my son was young we ate chicken at a National Mussleloading Shoot. The guy had two pots going as I remember, one with boiling water and one with BBQ sauce. He was selling half chickens and they were delicious. I thought I would smoke some and then braise to see how that came out.

I read several recipes on braised chicken and some braised in beer sounded good. Most of them they would brown up the chicken and then braise an hour in liquid. One guy said to use all legs and thighs; that breasts would get dry tasting and I could relate to that. All the grocery had today was thighs and no legs so I settled for a split chicken.

My plan was to smoke for 1 ½ hours and then braise in beer and BBQ sauce for 1 ½ hours. I had enough time for 2 ½ hours in brine to help keep the breasts moist. I cut the halves in quarters and got it in the brine. I rinsed and back in the fridge to air dry 1 ½ hours before smoking. I seasoned it with some Blues Hog Rub and smoked at 180 deg. for 1 ½ hours.

I poured some of the Yuengling beer in the pot and added the chicken. I poured in a cup of Kah’s BBQ sauce, ¼ cup of Blues Hog Tennessee Red sauce, some dried garlic and shallots and then poured the rest of the beer over all. I brought it to a boil and then down to a low simmer and covered with some parchment paper on top. It was on for 1 ½ hours.

Old Dave had me hungry for some cornbread cakes. I used my favorite cornbread mix, Miracle Maize sweet and used the recipe on the box for pancakes. I did them on my griddle outside on my gas burner. My first 4 were burnt so they went in the trash. The next 4 were almost burnt but tasted one and didn’t taste burnt so I went with those, I was hungry!

I had some left over yellow rice for a side. My wife had a breast and I had a leg thigh quarter. The chicken was great, moist, tender fall off the bone. Two hours of braising would not have hurt the chicken any. The skin was not eatable. The wife said the breast was good and moist too. I liked my sauce mix and the corncakes went well with it. Yes I had to have a little butter on my corn cake!

After eating I fried 4 more batches of cornbread cakes and got them just right. I had been waiting for them to bubble up like regular pancakes but this mix did not so just did by checking to see if they were ready to flip. These will taste good tomorrow with some bacon and eggs!

I did better on the leftovers

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Re: Smoked Beer Braised BBQ Chicken and Cornbread Cakes
« on: August 27, 2015, 05:24:06 AM »
Looks like a pretty solid meal to me. Would you remove the skin next time before braising, or just before eating it again?
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 07:16:07 AM »
Tasty looking meal Don!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Hub

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 07:44:54 AM »
Interesting twist on the old standard  ;D   I like it!

Hub

Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 09:35:24 AM »
Looks like a pretty solid meal to me. Would you remove the skin next time before braising, or just before eating it again?
I might try removing it before braising the next time and see how it comes out. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 09:50:13 AM »
Everything looks great, but those cakes... WANT!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 10:25:02 AM »
I might try removing it before braising the next time and see how it comes out. Don

I might give it a whirl too, just need it to cool off outside so I don't heat the house to much!
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 10:47:27 AM »
That looks good! Bookmarked and will try this one!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 10:51:43 AM »
WOW Don - it all looks fantastic.  I have to mark this one to try.  I have really been having a craving for some of those cornbread cakes too - they look really good - I think they would be great smothered with some brisket chili.
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 11:24:58 AM »
My Uncle used to smoke his chicken about half way done. Then he would put them in heated bbq sauce in a deep pan on the stove. Outrageous......

Yours looks great Don  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32