Author Topic: KARUBECUE has landed  (Read 175613 times)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: KARUBECUE has landed
« Reply #314 on: January 05, 2016, 12:05:47 PM »
WOW,,need details on how long to SV ribs and stuff like that..beef ribs on sale here for a change.  Thanks in advance.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

I lightly salted the STL ribs and went into 145 degrees  bath for 36 hours. These were extra thick STL ribs.
After the bath I chilled them and refrigerated while still sealed.

For the beef short ribs I did 158 degrees for 12 hours. I wanted a more traditional BBQ texture. These were chilled and refrigerated as well.
I didn't use any special rubs, just salt, pepper, some granulated garlic and a touch of cayenne on both meats.

Then I set my KBQ for smoking at 150 - 160 degrees. Smoked both pork and beef for 2 hours.

My first bite into the Pork ribs almost brought me to tears!!!!!

So with sous, I can  SV the ribs on a Monday,store them and just briefly smoke em before serving. They're every bit as good, maybe even better than your traditional ribs.

As for the beef ribs, hands down winner!!!
Just make sure meat is well chilled before smoking and you'll be rewarded with great smoke flavor.
And if you're into smoke rings, take a look at the sliced beef, that's only 2 hours on the smoker.
Thanks bunches Bigg..back to the store for me...☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 12:57:13 PM by Pam Gould »
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Boy Named Sioux

« Reply #315 on: January 10, 2016, 12:13:37 PM »
Hi guys,

Long time forum stalker, first time poster.

Had a question For you 1Bigg ER  (I'm putting in my order for a KBQ this week and you look like the most qualified KBQer around).

I was thinking about trying 100% oak compressed wood logs in the firebox (so basically, giant pellets). What's your gut tell you about this idea?

Thanks guys, and glad to be aboard!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #316 on: January 10, 2016, 01:39:13 PM »
Hi guys,

Had a question For you 1Bigg ER  (I'm putting in my order for a KBQ this week and you look like the most qualified KBQer around).

I was thinking about trying 100% oak compressed wood logs in the firebox (so basically, giant pellets). What's your gut tell you about this idea?

Welcome from Minnesota. You are sure asking the right questions of the right guy! Looking forward to your cooks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #317 on: January 10, 2016, 11:01:08 PM »
Hi guys,

Never heard of those.
The concept of the KBQ is clean smoke through hot bed of coals.
So, do pellets burn down to coals? What about ash formation?
Aren't those more expensive than good old hard wood?
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline Boy Named Sioux

« Reply #318 on: January 11, 2016, 12:19:03 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome DrHolly!
And thanks for your input 1bigg ER. I'll give you a little background to know why I asked you about the compressed logs. I'm an expat Texan (Mt. Pleasant to be exact. Not to far from your neck of the woods.) living in France looking to show everyone around here what all the fuss concerning Texas BBQ is about.
After a long and exhaustive search, I settled on the KBQ.
Over here I can readily get Oak and Birch (very similar to white oak) in normal split form or in compressed sawdust form (like a giant pellet). The compressed form is common over here for heating and wood fired oven needs. I never saw them back home, so they were never on my radar until recently.
Considering we all desire the most controlable smoking process possible, I began to think these giant 100% sawdust oak logs migt provide just that (-8% water, 1.5-2 hours burn time, no bark, no dirt, no nothing).
Of course the main issue is regarding the coaling as it ashes to basically nothing.
I'm all for tried and true splits, but I'm also all for optimizing my cook in everyway possible. Thought this might be an idea to kick around with the resident expert! ;-)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 12:24:43 PM by Boy Named Sioux »

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #319 on: January 11, 2016, 12:37:03 PM »
And thanks for your input 1bigg ER. I'll give you a little background to know why I asked you about the compressed logs. I'm an expat Texan (Mt. Pleasant to be exact. Not to far from your neck of the woods.) living in France looking to show everyone around here what all the fuss concerning Texas BBQ is about.
Over here I can readily get Oak and Birch (very similar to white oak) in normal split form or in compressed sawdust form (like a giant pellet). The compressed form is common over here for heating and wood fired oven needs. I never saw them back home, so they were never on my radar until recently.
Considering we all desire the most controlable smoking process possible, I began to think these giant 100% sawdust oak logs migt provide just that (-8% water, 1.5-2 hours burn time, no bark, no dirt, no nothing).
Of course the main issue is regarding the coaling as it ashes to basically nothing.
I'm all for tried and true splits, but I'm also all for optimizing my cook in everyway possible. Thought this might be an idea to kick around with the resident expert! ;-)

I can tell you this that "optimizing" cooks can't get any better than the KBQ as is.
You literally turn the knob to desired temp range and just feed it with wood. That's it.
No need to worry about smoke quality. It will be top notch every cook.
And it doesn't take much wood compared to conventional stick burners.

Could be interesting getting an hour burn out of a single XL pellet.

I'd suggest testing it out BUT have wood ready to go during the cook. It's not like you'll break the KBQ.

Either way, you made a fantastic choice.

KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum

Offline Boy Named Sioux

« Reply #320 on: January 11, 2016, 04:14:38 PM »

I can tell you this that "optimizing" cooks can't get any better than the KBQ as is.
You literally turn the knob to desired temp range and just feed it with wood. That's it.
No need to worry about smoke quality. It will be top notch every cook.
And it doesn't take much wood compared to conventional stick burners.

Could be interesting getting an hour burn out of a single XL pellet.

I'd suggest testing it out BUT have wood ready to go during the cook. It's not like you'll break the KBQ.

Either way, you made a fantastic choice.

Thanks for the input! I'm going to start off with straight oak splits for my first few cooks and then maybe gradually implement the compressed logs. I asked Bill (the inventor as I'm sure you inferred) about it and he said his intuitions says it probably won't work due to potential coaling and ash issues but to give it a shot.
I'll keep you updated! ;-)
And by the way. Any words of wisdom you can pass along to a newbie KBQer such as myself?

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #321 on: January 11, 2016, 04:43:04 PM »
@Boy Named Sioux
1. Have plenty of meat handy
2. Get an outdoor chair. You'll want to constantly smell the aroma
3. Have plenty of meats handy
4. There's no need to fill the firebox to the top. Expect to feed it every 45 minutes if using oak. It burns longer than most woods.
    I cut my wood logs to about 8 by 4 inch mini logs.
5. Have plenty of MEATS handy for KBQing.

OH and food tends to cook a little faster even at lower temps. Expect to have smoke roasted chicken in an hour.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #322 on: January 11, 2016, 09:49:27 PM »
@Boy Named Sioux

Just a thought re: your "giant pellet"... I do not have a Karbeque, but my thoughts are more about food safety. I think I know the "logs" you are thinking about - made for fireplaces or heating - often wrapped in paper, you light the paper and it starts the log. I am not sure these are made for or are safe for cooking. We've discussed using pellets that were made for heating as an alternative in pellet grills. Many folks have pointed out that these MAY contain a variety of things that would not be good for you or your food.

I guess, if I were going to try this (outside of any Karbeque issues) I would want some sort assurance that they were safe for cooking. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

Good luck!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Boy Named Sioux

« Reply #323 on: January 12, 2016, 12:30:37 AM »
@Boy Named Sioux
1. Have plenty of meat handy
2. Get an outdoor chair. You'll want to constantly smell the aroma
3. Have plenty of meats handy
4. There's no need to fill the firebox to the top. Expect to feed it every 45 minutes if using oak. It burns longer than most woods.
    I cut my wood logs to about 8 by 4 inch mini logs.
5. Have plenty of MEATS handy for KBQing.

OH and food tends to cook a little faster even at lower temps. Expect to have smoke roasted chicken in an hour.

Haha! Awesome... Thanks!

Offline Boy Named Sioux

« Reply #324 on: January 12, 2016, 12:37:16 AM »
@Boy Named Sioux

Just a thought re: your "giant pellet"... I do not have a Karbeque, but my thoughts are more about food safety. I think I know the "logs" you are thinking about - made for fireplaces or heating - often wrapped in paper, you light the paper and it starts the log. I am not sure these are made for or are safe for cooking. We've discussed using pellets that were made for heating as an alternative in pellet grills. Many folks have pointed out that these MAY contain a variety of things that would not be good for you or your food.

I guess, if I were going to try this (outside of any Karbeque issues) I would want some sort assurance that they were safe for cooking. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

Good luck!

Excellent points. I've seen online where people have asked about even using Duraflame logs and the like but what I'm talking about is 100% compressed logs with 0 filler. Here's two links to give you a better idea (in French, but you'll get the point).
http://www.stockaflam.fr/product/product/listing/buches-de-jour
http://www.woodstock-bois.fr/bois-densifie/
As you can see, they're practically giant pellets. I've never seen anything like this in the States.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 01:27:20 AM by Boy Named Sioux »

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #325 on: January 12, 2016, 02:56:21 AM »
@Boy Named Sioux

Good luck!

Excellent points. I've seen online where people have asked about even using Duraflame logs and the like but what I'm talking about is 100% compressed logs with 0 filler. Here's two links to give you a better idea (in French, but you'll get the point).
http://www.stockaflam.fr/product/product/listing/buches-de-jour
http://www.woodstock-bois.fr/bois-densifie/
As you can see, they're practically giant pellets. I've never seen anything like this in the States.

Boy Named Sue, after reading the description of the giant wood pellets, it says the day logs are manufactured using nothing but sawdust and hardwood chips with no glues and no binders or additives. It is represented as being a clean product, natural, and ecological. It produces less than 1% ash. The night logs are manufactured using nothing but wood bark without glues or binders. It says the embers "hold fire" for 6 to 8 hours. Also, it says that they cut down trees and grind them up into sawdust to make their logs without any sort of chemical.

My guess is that these would be fine for cooking. What the pellet pooper people in the USA are worried about is a manufacturer getting his raw wood materials from sawdust that comes from floor manufacturers that use glues, polyurethanes, and finishing chemicals that are probably not healthy to use for cooking food. I have never heard of any pellet manufacturer actually getting caught using treated flooring waste for any pellet (cooking or heating) so that is probably not as big a problem as everybody makes it out to be. Good luck and congrats on the KBQ. It seems like the perfect wood burning cooker.

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #326 on: January 12, 2016, 10:07:56 AM »
I doubt that those will coal at all. Burn one in a grill, can or chimney and see if it will produce any coals.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum

Offline Boy Named Sioux

« Reply #327 on: January 12, 2016, 01:00:55 PM »
Thanks for the feedback IR2Dum and 1Bigg ER. Everything you've both said sounds spot on so at this point it's time to wait and see if the proof is in the pudding! I'll update this post as soon as I've got some cooks under my belt and let everyone know how it goes.
Until then, I wish everyone great cooks and cold beers!  ;)

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #328 on: January 12, 2016, 04:32:08 PM »
Thanks for the feedback IR2Dum and 1Bigg ER. Everything you've both said sounds spot on so at this point it's time to wait and see if the proof is in the pudding! I'll update this post as soon as I've got some cooks under my belt and let everyone know how it goes.
Until then, I wish everyone great cooks and cold beers!  ;)

You are going to make us wait until you have a few cooks in???? That's unacceptable
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum