Author Topic: I'm a Dead Man Walking  (Read 5999 times)

Offline Jaxon

Re: I'm a Dead Man Walking
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 01:15:26 PM »
My 1st gas grill was a redhead, and that was back in the 80s before I knew what I was doing.  Most all the steaks came off well done and most burgers came off in pieces.
Not the cooker...the cook.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 01:56:14 PM »
I feel you did the right think rescuing that grill LA.       No grill left behind I always say.  ;)

Wonder if Kimmie would feel the same way if I kept bringing grills home? :D :D :D   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline hikerman

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 04:35:01 PM »
Hmmmm I'm thinking a nice spray of gladiolas and a sympathy card! Oh and a shovel to fill in the deep hole someone has dug for themself!  :P :D

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 04:47:33 PM »
 A good friend will spend the night in jail with you.... A best friend will bring the shovel!   If she suddenly decides to bring a  "Best" friend to the camp one weekend...

Just say'n....
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 06:49:30 PM »
No good deed goes unpunished.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2015, 06:17:37 PM »
Finally got my sight unseen craigslist grill home.
It's a1999 Weber red Genesis
Got one that had been in a storage unit for several years.
The red top is spotless.
The frame is in great shape.
The firebox & lid are very good
The burners are excellent.
Flavorizer bars are half missing
Grates are missing.
Durwood shelves , the wood is in good shape but an ugly gray
Needs new ignitor
Has an old Weber adaptor to propane bottles that needs to be updated to ACME connector.
Planning on replacing acme adaptor & make sure manifold works then.
Weber OEM ignitor
Weber OEM porceloin coated grates
Aftermarket 304 SS flavorizer bars
Sand & repaint firebox with rustolium flat black grill paint.
Sand & repaint lid end caps with a gloss black high temp paint.
Unsure about work tables & bottom rack , think it's ugly! Might try sanding , then staining redwood color with deck stain, if don't like that will rebuild bottom with cypress , & thinking about work tables with bamboo plywood!
Should keep me busy for a couple weeks , will keep informed!
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2015, 06:24:03 PM »
Glad to see you are alive! Looking forward to the saga....
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2015, 06:57:57 PM »
Rather than restore to origional thinking of replacing work tables with bamboo cutting boards .
Can make for with only 1 cut!
Same thickness & width.
Will completely cot hole out.

New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2015, 07:00:23 PM »
Bamboo is one of my favorite "woods." Actually a grass - but have a couple of cutting boards that have been around for over 15 years - I just keep them well oiled. Looks like a great idea for your work tables!
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2015, 07:12:03 PM »
I had a near "dead man" moment last weekend.  A couple of weeks ago, I was at Walmart and of course had to walk past the grills.  There was an unopened  WSM 14.5" with $99 hand written on the box.  It took all my strength, but I walked past it.  I already have a 14.5" and a patio full of other cookers after all.  ;D  I was walking through again this weekend, and it was still there.  I noticed that the dust on the box was building and that the box itself was a little rough looking.  I saw a guy I had dealt with before and blurted out "You want to get that thing off the floor?  I'll take it for $50."  To my surprise, he said OK.  Then I felt my wife's eyes burning a hole in my skull.  I ignored the pain and paid the man.  I explained to her that it retails for $200 and that I couldn't in good conscience not at least try.  I also explained how I had walked past it at $99.  She mumbled something about fitting it on the patio.  Luckily, I knew there was just enough room for it.  I had it in my computer room for a couple of days.  I cooked a piece of brisket point and some chicken thighs on it today to season it then tucked it in said corner.  There is still the same amount of usable patio space as before (next to none, but two chairs fit with a great view of all of my cookers).  Looks like I will live to see tomorrow.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2015, 07:18:42 PM »
Billy, you are a VERY brave (or foolish) man....  ??? ??? ;D
Member #

Offline Pappymn

I'm a Dead Man Walking
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2015, 07:21:08 PM »

I had a near "dead man" moment last weekend.  A couple of weeks ago, I was at Walmart and of course had to walk past the grills.  There was an unopened  WSM 14.5" with $99 hand written on the box.  It took all my strength, but I walked past it.  I already have a 14.5" and a patio full of other cookers after all.  ;D  I was walking through again this weekend, and it was still there.  I noticed that the dust on the box was building and that the box itself was a little rough looking.  I saw a guy I had dealt with before and blurted out "You want to get that thing off the floor?  I'll take it for $50."  To my surprise, he said OK.  Then I felt my wife's eyes burning a hole in my skull.  I ignored the pain and paid the man.  I explained to her that it retails for $200 and that I couldn't in good conscience not at least try.  I also explained how I had walked past it at $99.  She mumbled something about fitting it on the patio.  Luckily, I knew there was just enough room for it.  I had it in my computer room for a couple of days.  I cooked a piece of brisket point and some chicken thighs on it today to season it then tucked it in said corner.  There is still the same amount of usable patio space as before (next to none, but two chairs fit with a great view of all of my cookers).  Looks like I will live to see tomorrow.

If you a running out of square footage.....go vertical. :)
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2015, 07:24:55 PM »

If you a running out of square footage.....go vertical. :)

Like Airbus - http://roadwarriorvoices.com/2015/10/06/airbus-reveals-idea-to-make-airplane-seating-even-worse-stack-fliers-on-top-of-each-other/
Member #

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2015, 07:45:05 PM »
Can't wait to see the finished product, LA ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2015, 10:05:30 AM »

That's a chance I'd take as well. WSM 14.5 can cook better than most expensive smokers.
Imagine if you had blurted out $20!!
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer