Author Topic: Akorn vs PBC  (Read 3939 times)

Offline rchang72

Akorn vs PBC
« Reply #-1 on: October 15, 2015, 12:59:15 PM »
I'm looking into getting a charcoal cooker. Want to be able to smoke ribs and chicken, but also want to cook high heat like steak.

Budget (meaning my better half) would be ok with around $300. After looking at different videos, kind of narrowed to PBC vs kamado. And the Akorn is the only one in my budget.

I really want to have something that I can have for a while and not break or make me  wish I had something else. Or if you think get better kamado, I am prepared to save for a bit longer (just will be seeing everyone's posts with envy)

Knowing posting here is self selecting, so hope is ok to post in both subgroups.

Can you give me any thoughts? 
Weber Genesis
Next grill...?

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Re: Akorn vs PBC
« on: April 04, 2016, 02:34:05 PM »
Well I guess that by now (120 days later) you've probably made a choice, lol. I am new to owning a PBC but have had Kamados for some time now. Although NOT an Akorn, they all cook the same it's just some are built to last longer than others. The Akorn can make fine food but it will not last for more than maybe 3-5 years before you have issues with the bottom ash tray and it's seal and it's not insulated very well. An alternative would be to find a Big Steel Keg/Broil King Keg (which are what I own). Sometimes you'll see them on Craigslist for cheap. If you can't find one, then by all means buy the Akorn!

As for the PBC, it's a cool gadget too. Makes great food but you're going to see a REAL difference in the food that comes off of it as opposed to a Kamado. It will have a much stronger charcoal taste than food coming from a Kamado. Partially because of Kamados using lump instead of charcoal briquettes and the other reason is that as the meat hangs, it bastes itself and the juices fall into the coals and that makes more smoke. Both make great food but they will taste different. As for longevity, I think that it's a draw but maybe a slight edge to the PBC. As with all grills, keep them covered and they'll last much longer.

Hope that helps! I guess I could've checked to see your other posts to see if you ever made a decision and what you ended up with, I may do that after I type this, lol. Either way, this info may help anyone else who decides to click on this thread!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 10:14:11 AM by Regular Guy »
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 03:32:18 PM »
Before buying anything check you local Craigslist to see if you can get a better cooker be it a Keg, Akorn or even a ceramic kamado at a better price. You can't go wrong with a kamado and you may even find one at a lil higher price thanan Akorn but you'll be getting a better grill/smoker.
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 03:56:26 PM »
It will have a much stronger charcoal taste than food coming from a Kamado. Partially because of Kamados using lump instead of charcoal briquettes and the other reason is that as the meat hangs, it bastes itself and the juices fall into the coals and that makes more smoke.
Thanks for posting this because as Sweetie and I moved into our 70's we do not like a strong smoke or charcoal taste.  I was thinking of buying one for chicken but I think you have change my mind.  We did play with the Akorn to the point of running the temp with Rock's Stoker.  Made everything great except to much charcoal flavor for our taste and the neighbor has been enjoying it ever since.  Still looking for the best chicken cooker.

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=4681.msg56665#msg56665
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 05:48:47 PM »
It will have a much stronger charcoal taste than food coming from a Kamado. Partially because of Kamados using lump instead of charcoal briquettes and the other reason is that as the meat hangs, it bastes itself and the juices fall into the coals and that makes more smoke.
Thanks for posting this because as Sweetie and I moved into our 70's we do not like a strong smoke or charcoal taste.  I was thinking of buying one for chicken but I think you have change my mind.  We did play with the Akorn to the point of running the temp with Rock's Stoker.  Made everything great except to much charcoal flavor for our taste and the neighbor has been enjoying it ever since.  Still looking for the best chicken cooker.

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=4681.msg56665#msg56665

Art, I believe you have one of the best chicken cookers with your Grid Iron! I know I have a PBC but there are times we don't want a heavy smoke and my Grid Iron fits the bill!  ;)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 08:26:52 PM »
Mike I have not roasted a chicken on the Grid Iron as I have been doing ribs while playing the controller program to correct temp correlation and increase smoke production.   
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 08:34:19 PM by Savannahsmoker »
Art

The Big Easy

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 11:24:07 PM »
I too have a PBC and generally love it. But like Art mentioned, sometimes I don't want as much charcoal "taste." Those times I use my good old SRG - it used to be my goto poultry cooker and is still my 2nd choice.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline RG

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 10:20:13 AM »
I've had several BBQ buddies on various forums/facebook tell me to get a Big Easy for poultry. Thoughts?
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 03:00:43 PM »
As was said the Big Easy is an excellant way to roast chicken without the charcoal flavor.  Like many I have the Big Easy and when it came out purchased and wore out a SRG.  Next try out the Electric Big East and gave it away.  Pick up a Big Easy again and out of the three I think the Original Big Easy is the best cooker. 

Problem is I am always looking for better.
Art

The Big Easy

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 12:02:18 AM »

Aren't we all? It is part of the fun  ;)  :)
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 12:50:38 AM »

Aren't we all? It is part of the fun  ;)  :)
Thumbs up on that
Art

The Big Easy

Offline RG

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 03:44:41 PM »
Looking for something better is why I own 8 grills/smokers lol. The PBC was going to be my answer for chicken and it still may be but either way it's a damn fine cooker and I've cooked some really good food on it thus far and plan on cooking on it often. I like the whole hanging meat setup, it's just cool to me. It feels like caveman cooking, I like it!!

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 04:37:30 PM »
The PBC was going to be my answer for chicken and it still may be but either way it's a damn fine cooker and I've cooked some really good food on it thus far and plan on cooking on it often. I like the whole hanging meat setup, it's just cool to me. It feels like caveman cooking, I like it!!
I agree and I do like the food members are producing in the PBC. 
Problem for us is Sweetie and I are in our 70's and no longer like a hard charcoal taste in our food.
Art

The Big Easy

Offline RG

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 08:24:06 PM »
The PBC was going to be my answer for chicken and it still may be but either way it's a damn fine cooker and I've cooked some really good food on it thus far and plan on cooking on it often. I like the whole hanging meat setup, it's just cool to me. It feels like caveman cooking, I like it!!
I agree and I do like the food members are producing in the PBC. 
Problem for us is Sweetie and I are in our 70's and no longer like a hard charcoal taste in our food.

I wonder if another brand of charcoal might be better? I've heard that Stubbs is not as strong but I haven't tried it yet.

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 08:37:51 PM »
I wonder if another brand of charcoal might be better? I've heard that Stubbs is not as strong but I haven't tried it yet.
Good point and I wonder if any others have an opinion on, is there a mild tasting charcoal on market?
Art

The Big Easy