Author Topic: Pam Spray to season grill  (Read 3879 times)

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
Pam Spray to season grill
« Reply #-1 on: October 18, 2015, 06:06:44 PM »
Every cooking show I watch on PBS (Cook's Country, Raichlen, etc.) says to season the hot grill with vegetable oil on a paper towel with tongs before each cook.

Does carefully spraying Pam (or a generic like Kirkland Canola Oil Spray) accomplish the same thing?
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Pam Spray to season grill
« on: October 18, 2015, 06:10:29 PM »
I used the Kirkland all the time on my grills, no problems and it works.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 06:22:13 PM »
I generally spray the meat rather than the grill. That doesn't make as much mess on the grill, doesn't burn off (or into sludge) before the meat goes on, and ensures the oil is exactly where it should be - where the meat meets the grill.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 06:47:19 PM »
I generally spray the meat rather than the grill. That doesn't make as much mess on the grill, doesn't burn off (or into sludge) before the meat goes on, and ensures the oil is exactly where it should be - where the meat meets the grill.

The turtle is wise.....and correct.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 07:37:19 PM »
Works good for taming the rust after a cook.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 07:42:08 AM »
Weber makes a grill spray that works well, but it is kind of hard to find.  I use a General Mills commercial pan release product that works very well and doesn't flare at high temps.  On my grills with metal grates, this makes for some good seasoning.  On my grill with porcelain grates it has to be re-sprayed (like the Turtle, I spray it on the meat) when turning during the cook.  Also, just a little spritz will keep the GrillGrates working beautifully.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 09:40:00 AM »

x2
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline DWard51

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 09:59:25 AM »
Depending on what the meat is, I give it a light rub of mayonnaise instead of oiling the grates.  Works great on chicken and sausage as it gives the rub a base to stick to.  It does not impart any flavor to the finished product (the mayonnaise, not the rub), and it helps retain moisture IMO.  I first discovered this on skinless and boneless breasts. You can really pack on the rub and not have it fall off during the cook.  Basically you want just enough to make the rub stick and a little seems to go a long way.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 10:11:08 AM »

x2

x3 Here is an interesting article - http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/how_to_prevent_sticking.html
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 10:28:00 AM »
Great advice and link! Glad I asked... Oil the meat instead of the grill.
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 10:31:40 AM »
Great advice and link! Glad I asked... Oil the meat instead of the grill.

Having said all that, I have a set of CrayCort cast iron grates on my Performer. For these, I clean them while hot (after cooking - the nice thing is they stay hot, so I can serve and enjoy the meal before cleaning / seasoning) and then rub some hi-temp oil (I like using grape seed oil) to keep them seasoned. Just like I was cleaning and seasoning my cast iron pans / pots. When cooking, I still oil the meat, not the grill.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 10:45:24 AM »
I do like the turtle usually, spray the meat and only on one side is usually good. I mostly use olive oil in a spray can; I love that stuff. I used to use Pam a lot but found it tends to build up on cast iron. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 11:00:47 AM »

x2

x3 Here is an interesting article - http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/how_to_prevent_sticking.html

x4
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 11:15:14 AM »
 Pam type sprays do build up over time and can be tough to clean.  I just use an oil spray for maintaining between cooks (rust prevention).  As far as the meat goes I do like the others and spray the meat.

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 11:17:33 AM »
Depending on what the meat is, I give it a light rub of mayonnaise instead of oiling the grates.  Works great on chicken and sausage as it gives the rub a base to stick to.  It does not impart any flavor to the finished product (the mayonnaise, not the rub), and it helps retain moisture IMO.  I first discovered this on skinless and boneless breasts. You can really pack on the rub and not have it fall off during the cook.  Basically you want just enough to make the rub stick and a little seems to go a long way.
I have a friend that puts mayo on chickens and pork butts in The Big Easy.  They turn out really well.  I have not thought of doing it just on chicken for the grill. I will have to give it a try.
Terry "Way down in Alabama"