Author Topic: Pam Spray to season grill  (Read 3880 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Pam Spray to season grill
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 11:21:14 AM »
Depending on what the meat is, I give it a light rub of mayonnaise instead of oiling the grates.  Works great on chicken and sausage as it gives the rub a base to stick to.  It does not impart any flavor to the finished product (the mayonnaise, not the rub), and it helps retain moisture IMO.  I first discovered this on skinless and boneless breasts. You can really pack on the rub and not have it fall off during the cook.  Basically you want just enough to make the rub stick and a little seems to go a long way.
I have a friend that puts mayo on chickens and pork butts in The Big Easy.  They turn out really well.  I have not thought of doing it just on chicken for the grill. I will have to give it a try.
Sounds like an interesting idea, will try it. I think some of the best advice I ever received was to let the meat release naturally - don't try to rush it. This means getting the grill / grates to the right temp - screaming hot is not always right. Get the temp right, make sure the grates are clean, the meat is oiled (or mayo-ed...) and let it tell you when it is time to turn or flip.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
Re: Pam Spray to season grill
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 08:44:08 PM »
Who has the best recommendations on cleaning porcelain grates and maintaining them for best results?