Author Topic: Lid gasket - yes or no?  (Read 1211 times)

Offline muralboy

Lid gasket - yes or no?
« Reply #-1 on: October 28, 2015, 11:42:51 PM »
Hey gang - you guys certainly are more experienced and smarter than I on pellet smokers, so I'm looking for a little advice.  I noticed that smoke leaks around the edges of the lid of the smoker, more so on heavier smokes.  Should I add a gasket to help seal off the lid?

I question this because when we purchased the grill, the guy recommended to sometimes prop the lid open slightly to "help with airflow".

Any thoughts/opinions on whether to add gasket or not?  Or do I want some smoke escaping around the edges?  Will a tight seal cause the smoke to flow more quickly and/or directly to the stack rather that move around the grill?

I thank you all in advance for any advice
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Lid gasket - yes or no?
« on: October 28, 2015, 11:45:08 PM »
Tell us more about what kind ( brand and model) you are using. And - if you have any pictures or video of the smoke leakage...that will help.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muralboy

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 12:04:16 AM »
The grill is a PelletPro 627. 

In this photo I was running in high smoke mode, working the cold smoker at the same time as heat smoking. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline muralboy

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 12:06:00 AM »
this is more of an average smoke - If you look closely you can see a thin layer of smoke at the bottom and top edge

thanks again for looking and for your help

Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 12:35:02 AM »
I don't think I would worry too much about the leakage MB. I don't have the same smoker but mine leaks at the top and bottom about the way yours does. At start up mine will leak smoke at the top, and bottom of the lid, out the grease outlet and even out where the RTD wires go in. I think this shows I get good circulation and smoke coverage through out the smoker. During normal conditions I see very little smoke coming from the lid.

I have a small 1/16 inch gap at the top and bottom of my lid because the round lid fits over the end caps. I was going to seal them but never did, I like the gap at the bottom since it allows space for my grill temp and meat temp probes without putting pressure on them.

Someone in real cold temp cooking may need to seal for heat loss but I cook when it's 20 deg. and above and have had no problems holding temps to cook by. Don

Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline muralboy

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 01:28:02 AM »
I don't think I would worry too much about the leakage MB. I don't have the same smoker but mine leaks at the top and bottom about the way yours does. At start up mine will leak smoke at the top, and bottom of the lid, out the grease outlet and even out where the RTD wires go in. I think this shows I get good circulation and smoke coverage through out the smoker. During normal conditions I see very little smoke coming from the lid.

I have a small 1/16 inch gap at the top and bottom of my lid because the round lid fits over the end caps. I was going to seal them but never did, I like the gap at the bottom since it allows space for my grill temp and meat temp probes without putting pressure on them.

Someone in real cold temp cooking may need to seal for heat loss but I cook when it's 20 deg. and above and have had no problems holding temps to cook by. Don

You hit the nail on the head - leaves are falling and worried about my first season of cold weather grilling with my pellet smoker.  I'm also considering buying a thermal covering which got me thinking about airflow.  If the cover obstructs the flow of smoke along the top is that going to create a problem?

Keep Calm And Smoke On