Author Topic: Fire Butler for Weber Kettle  (Read 5469 times)

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
Re: Fire Butler for Weber Kettle
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 04:03:51 PM »
I saw this on another site and thought it looked interesting.  I'm not sure exactly where (how) the"hibatchi" fits. A cutaway photo shows it sitting directly on top of the coal chute, it just doesn't seem like it would flow enough air through those eight little holes.

I mean, I guess it does,  Just doesn't seem like it would.  I like to see a video of it actually cooking.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 06:22:23 PM »

I mean, I guess it does,  Just doesn't seem like it would.  I like to see a video of it actually cooking.

BD

There is a link to the video in the original post.  It shows the hibachi being about 20 inches across so there is a gap all the way around to allow for smoke and heat to come up around it.

<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Big Dawg

• The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 08:59:04 PM »

BD

There is a link to the video in the original post.  It shows the hibachi being about 20 inches across so there is a gap all the way around to allow for smoke and heat to come up around it.

Right, I saw that part, but in the cutaway it looks like it's sitting flush on top of the charcoal chute.

That being the case, the airflow through the charcoal chute would be limited to those eight little (what, maybe ¼"?) holes.

I'm not saying that it doesn't work. Obviously it does. I just don't understand it.  It's just that before I lay out two bills for one . . . .

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2015, 09:26:17 PM »
I assumed that when using the hibatchi as a heat deflector, that they have it turned over with the flat side up.

To control the drippings, a fellow could use a pan with a rack in it for his product. This would make for an easier cleanup, and also have your product up and out of the drippings,  and solve any of the drippings problem.

Look close and you can see the rack under the turkey.

This is a shallow pan setup.

As far as a water pan, I guess you could use a foil bread pan and set it anywhere you wanted or had some extra room. I am not sure it would be needed.
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline Big Dawg

• The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2015, 01:24:48 PM »
I assumed that when using the hibatchi as a heat deflector, that they have it turned over with the flat side up.

To control the drippings, a fellow could use a pan with a rack in it for his product. This would make for an easier cleanup, and also have your product up and out of the drippings,  and solve any of the drippings problem.

As far as a water pan, I guess you could use a foil bread pan and set it anywhere you wanted or had some extra room. I am not sure it would be needed.

Admittedly, I had not thought of that.  That would explain why the foil is flat, in the video, when they use it as a deflector.  But they clearly demonstrate the hibachi by sitting it flat on top of the charcoal chute to cook "fajitas, sausage, biscuits & gravy," etc.  If I was concerned that having the hibachi sitting there would make it hard to maintain a 250º fire, I just don't see those eight little holes flowing enough air to keep a 500º fire going.

Please know that I am not "panning" this product.  I know absolutely nothing about it.  I've seen it discussed on two forums.  But, as far as I can tell, no one in either location has actually seen one in action, and I couldn't find any actual reviews of the product.

I think at this point, Dave, I'm just going to fade into the background . . . 

BD
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 01:49:17 PM by Big Dawg »
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 08:03:26 AM »
I can see the potential for this with the gravity feature alone.

I'll contact the guy directly and see what I can find out.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!