Author Topic: Weber Platinum  (Read 1986 times)

Offline TwoPockets

Weber Platinum
« Reply #-1 on: October 15, 2012, 06:02:19 PM »
Anybody got any experience with the Weber Platinum. Looks like a Weber Gold but on a different stand. There is a brand new one for sale on Craigslist for $160.

http://bham.craigslist.org/hsh/3305138561.html

I am going to pick up some kind of Weber kettle for my birthday. I work at Academy Sports and we sell the Weber Silver 22.5 for $99 or the Weber Performer (Gold on a nice cart) for $279. I cooked on a Silver for years and it is a fine grill, just a bit of hassle for ash handling. If I get the Silver I am going to have to upgrade the grate to the hinged grate for $19 which we sell at Academy, buy the charcoal baskets from Lowes or Home Depot for indirect cooking and probably put some kind of thermometer in the hood. So I am looking at $50 or more in upgrades. I am still way under the $279 for the Performer, but it comes with the hinged grate, charcoal baskets, thermometer, side table and charcoal storage. The Platinum has all the Performer has but has two smaller side shelves.

So I can go get this guy's Platinum for $160 or get the Performer for $240 with employee discount, tax, title and insurance out the door. I am just not too fond of the stand on the Platinum, but heck it all cooks the same.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Re: Weber Platinum
« on: October 15, 2012, 06:18:02 PM »
Two, the performer also has a propane charcoal lighter???
At least the old ones did.
This will be the last charcoal grill you buy, get the performer ;)
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 06:25:50 PM »
Two, the performer also has a propane charcoal lighter???
At least the old ones did.
This will be the last charcoal grill you buy, get the performer ;)

The one we sell doesn't have the propane lighter. When we sold the Performer a few years back it was the most common problem we had, Several people returned grills or would come in wanting a new igniter. I will just use my trusty Weber chimney and two sheets of newspaper or cheat and put the chimney on my Camp Chef gas stove.

Heck, I only turn 62 once, I will spring for the Performer.
Ken

Char-Broil The Big Easy

Offline Pappymn

Weber Platinum
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 06:36:37 PM »
I am on a similar mission. I asked a trusted resource, Sparky, for his opinion. He mentioned that the performer lid slides to the side on the performer, which can limit full/easy access to the full grate of food.  The platinum rolls backwards. I am going with the platinum.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 06:40:45 PM »
I am on a similar mission. I asked a trusted resource, Sparky, for his opinion. He mentioned that the performer lid slides to the side on the performer, which can limit full/easy access to the full grate of food.  The platinum rolls backwards. I am going with the platinum.

Thanks Pappy, I will look at the lid on the Performer at work tomorrow and see if it might cause a problem.
Ken

Char-Broil The Big Easy

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 07:20:15 PM »
The Platinum is nice but the extra you pay for the Performer is well worth it!! I think there is a choice of -3- colors as well and I think they come with a charcoal holder as well!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 10:47:24 PM »
... the performer lid slides to the side on the performer, which can limit full/easy access to the full grate of food.

I have to humbly disagree with that assessment. I have a performer and have no problems with access to the full grate whatsoever. You don't even have to use the lid holder if you don't want to.

The Platinum, however, has a hidden issue with the lid design that most people overlook. The handle is mounted on the front and not the top like all the other kettles. Meaning you MUST slide the lid back and into the holder. This knocks you out of any possible add-ons such as a rotisserie, because it blocks the lid holder making it difficult, clumsy, & unsafe to remove/replace the lid otherwise.

I noticed this issue when we looked at different Weber models and was looking at the Stoven pellet grill attachment.

I think the performer is a much better option for the money.  That big side table is awfully handy.

That's my 2ยข (not that it's worth that much :) )
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 10:50:45 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Hub

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 07:56:07 AM »
I've had a Performer for six or seven years and still think it is the best charcoaler for under $300 by far.  It is easy to light (I have the butane ignitor and it always works), easy to clean, and moderately easy to control the temperatures so long as you don't expect them to stay constant forever.  For short to medium time cooks it'll get the job done.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Pappymn

Weber Platinum
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 12:46:44 PM »
Thanks Tent for the tip. That is an excellent point.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 02:17:58 PM »
twopockets, i found a company on the web (i'd show link but dont have my kids here to do it) that has the ash catcher for a gold weber that you can add to a weber silver for $35.  so you can turn your silver into a gold for $35.  thats cool.  when my kids come home i will put link.  http://allpartsgrills.com/item610644.ctlg

heh it worked.  i called my daughter to ask how.  i'm not so much a computer person.   

sparky's wisdom:  if you can fix it w/ a screwdriver then get a hammer.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 02:23:50 PM by sparky1 »
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66