Author Topic: First Brisket on my Chef Camp PG24LTD  (Read 6695 times)

Offline Pappymn

First Brisket on my Chef Camp PG24LTD
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2016, 06:01:21 PM »
I think your plan after the 5:30 AM point may have just been too much cooking. But that wouldn't explain the lack of fat rendering.
The real talent will be by to weigh in.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Cinredman

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2016, 06:18:01 PM »
Just finished packing up in food saver. Recall, this bad boy had a package weight of 15.8 lb. meat yield ~5 lbs :-(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG
Chef Camp Pellet (PG24LTD)

Offline Ka Honu

Re: First Brisket on my Chef Camp PG24LTD
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2016, 09:54:23 PM »
Of course every brisket is different but there are a few things that you might want to adjust. 

Try to trim the fat cap to about ΒΌ" and do the same with the hard fat ribbon between the flat and point. Seasoning is an individual choice - I'm usually a "purist" (salt, pepper, and a little garlic) but everyone is an expert and there really is no wrong answer.

If you want, you can always rack the trimmings above the brisket to allow the melting fat to drip down and "baste" the brisket. Some people (especially those who smoke fat side down) swear by this; others say it's totally unnecessary. I do it depending on how I feel that day and how much room I have in the smoker.

You found the main problem with smoking a whole packer - it's easy to dry out the flat while cooking the point to perfection. Usually if you get the flat right, the point will be just fine. I usually don't even eat them at the same time, saving the point for burnt ends, the world's best chili meat, great sandwiches, or something else altogether.

I usually smoke at a relatively low temp for 4-5 hours and, if I'm finishing in another cooker (e.g., the house oven), make the transfer, racking the meat over a pan of liquid (drippings, broth, whatever). Continue cooking at about 250o until the IT is about 165o and then (optionally) wrap in foil or butcher paper to get through the stall.

Wrapping might be easier (and I do it about 3/4 of the time because I'm lazy) but it's essentially braising and will not give you the same nice dark bark as cooking "nekkid." In any event, once your IT (in the middle of the flat) hits about 185o, start fork-testing the "thin" end (with a two-tined carving fork) every five degrees until it's ready to break apart. Check the thick end (under the point) too, but the thin end is the key. You will usually only need to go to 190-195o but might get up to 200-205o on some packers. Temp is only a guide - the fork is king here.

When it's done, FTC for 2-4 hours, then eat. If you're going to store for a while before using, add a splash or two of liquid (drippings, broth, apple juice, etc.), rewrap in a double layer of heavy foil, let cool, and freeze.

I'm sure several of the brethren (and sistren) will have completely different advice but sorting all that out is what makes it fun (eventually).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 10:22:12 PM by Ka Honu »
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2016, 10:01:25 PM »
The turtle is wise.

I will only add that (by mistake) I have had let briskets rest longer than intended and they were really tender and juicy.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2016, 05:33:24 AM »
I agree with almost everything the Turtle has said. Let me emphasize his first point that every brisket is different and you really can't cook every one of them the same and expect the same results. His two pronged fork trick is probably the best method of testing for tenderness and readiness. The Turtle's point that I might differ on is that when the flat is fork tender, the point is not always ready, but I can see Turtle's point in that he keeps cooking his point in the form of burnt ends so they can be a little underdone when he starts them. Get my point?  The Turtle cooked burnt ends for us in Augusta and I can still taste the goodness of those delicious pieces of point. That remembrance is making me hungry.

Offline Cinredman

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2016, 09:47:09 AM »
Appreciate the feedback; keep I coming because I will be taking the packer challenge again :-)

Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2016, 12:48:03 PM »
Appreciate the feedback; keep I coming because I will be taking the packer challenge again :-)

Attaboy!!  If you get knocked off the horse....ya wipe the dust from your Wranglers and ya get back on.............of course that is why my ears ring constantly these days :D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Cinredman

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2016, 09:22:03 PM »
Well, it has been awhile, but I got me another whole packer which has been "wet" aging in the fridge for 30 days. Gonna start a new post soon as I need to cook this one for my son's high school graduation.  While I used OakRidge Black Ops brisket rub last time, going with Smokey Mo's meat rub this time around.

Look fro a new thread soon!
Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG