Cured Meats & Food Preservation > Pickling & Canning

2nd Try at IPA beer brined pickles

(1/2) > >>

Smokin Don:
Jan 11 2016

I first tasted these pickles at J Maries, a good restaurant here in town. I loved them and found a recipe to make some. I made a quart and didn’t like them, way too sour and not like the ones at J Maries. The recipe had a half cup apple cider vinegar with the beer.

I found a recipe for half sour pickles that only had salt and water to ferment so I wanted to try it with the IPA beer. I used English cucumbers since they come in plastic wrap with no wax on them.  I used a quart Fido jar to put them in, they have a clamp lid and gasket that is supposed to let the gas out but no air in.

I mixed a Shiner IPA beer with a tablespoon of salt and stirred until dissolved. I added about a teaspoon of coriander seeds,  four pepper corn blend, and dried garlic to the jar. I cut the cuckes up to a length so I could leave room for my ceramic weights and liquid to cover. I then cut them into fourths. I laid the jar on its side and stuffed in as many spears as I could. I slid in a bay leaf then poured in the beer and salt mix; then added the weights to keep the cukes under the liquid.

These will set on the counter for 3 days and then in the fridge. I will probably let them in the fridge about a week before trying them. I will update how I like them.

Smokin Don

sliding_billy:
Looking forward to the results.

ACW3:
Watching this one.  I like the whole idea.

Art

Pam Gould:
Looking god so far..watching.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

spuds:
Bookmarked,i love pickles!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version