Cured Meats & Food Preservation > Pickling & Canning

Help needed for canning spaghetti sauce

(1/4) > >>

TMB:
Never canned anything before, I always used a vacuum sealer for most stuff but found a need for canned spaghetti sauce.

Now, watched a  few videos on You-Tube but got more confused then before I watched them.  Plan is to can/bottle about 8 qt's or so and this way when I get my back or knee surgeries Ill have homemade sauce ready (can't stand the store stuff)  :P :P :P   

Plan is to water bath type canning.  Has anyone done this?  Any helpful hints and or resources you know of?

Pam Gould:
Tommy..get the Ball canning book, it has everything you need to know plus a bunch of recipe, or use your own recipe for sauce. I have never done tomatoes but it can't be any harder than anythign else..I did 6 quarts of sauerkraut today. You will need jars - quart sized is best, lids and rings. A lifter to take jars out of the bath. A funnel, you can buy this all in a set, not too $$$$Y, jars will be the most, get wide mouth jars, easier to pack. Call me if you need more help.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

TMB:

--- Quote from: Pam Gould on March 02, 2016, 04:21:18 PM ---Tommy..get the Ball canning book, it has everything you need to know plus a bunch of recipe, or use your own recipe for sauce. I have never done tomatoes but it can't be any harder than anythign else..I did 6 quarts of sauerkraut today. You will need jars - quart sized is best, lids and rings. A lifter to take jars out of the bath. A funnel, you can buy this all in a set, not too $$$$Y, jars will be the most, get wide mouth jars, easier to pack. Call me if you need more help.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

--- End quote ---
Sounds good Pam thanks.  Got a little spending $$$ for my birthday and may go this weekend and get a few things

I'll call if I need something

cookiecdcmk:
I have done tomatoes many times, and this is the way to go.  I used to go to a U-Pick field in the morning, and then go to a County Extension Cannery to finish up.  These are not around any more.  It is like Pam said, get a book, crush them up a bit in a pot and boil, then heat them up in the jar with a water bath for the time stated, take out and cool.  when the lids pop, you know that you have a good seal.  They store very well, but you will probably use them before too long.  If you already have the sauce(gravy) made, just use the same method heating up in a water bath.

Pam Gould:
YEAH..what cookie said and put the date on the lids too..just sayin.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version