Author Topic: Sliding Billy Inspired Steak Salad  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Sliding Billy Inspired Steak Salad
« Reply #-1 on: April 05, 2016, 11:44:07 PM »
Apr 05 2016

Tonight’s supper was inspired by Sliding Billy’s Pittsburg Steak Salad. I had a little over a pound piece of beef chuck I had frozen & decided to use it. I would rather use a flank steak but have to use leftovers up. I thought a little bacon would be good too.

I seasoned the beef with some Weber’s Chicago steak seasoning and smoked it on my Traeger with the bacon. I started at 225 deg. for a half hour then went to 300 deg. grill level and took a total of 1 ¼ hours to get the beef to 140 deg. IT. I let the bacon on another 10 minutes.  When it all cooled down some I covered and in the fridge.

I cut enough fries for the wife and I, the daughter had to work late. I placed the fries in a lager beer and a Tbs. of salt and in the fridge about 5 hours.

I did the fried in a 400 deg. oven for 20 minutes flipped and another 15 minutes. While the fries were baking I made up the salads, sliced the beef and it went into a skillet just to warm up. I served it a little after 6:00; we had some leftover garlic knots with it.

Mine turned out a little different than Billy’s, I added some bacon and sliced sweet onion and left out the shredded mozzarella, because I forgot to get it out! I had blue cheese dressing and my wife had her favorite Strawberry vinaigrette dressing.

It tasted great Billy, thanks for sharing the recipe.

Smokin Don
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 12:04:28 AM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Sliding Billy Inspired Steak Salad
« on: April 05, 2016, 11:53:58 PM »
Both versions look and sound delicious!

BTW, you really did get that cooker screaming hot!

Apr 05 2016

I seasoned the beef with some Weber’s Chicago steak seasoning and smoked it on my Traeger with the bacon. I started at 2225 deg. for a half hour then went to 300 deg. grill level and took a total of 1 ¼ hours to get the beef to 140 deg. IT. I let the bacon on another 10 minutes.  When it all cooled down some I covered and in the fridge.

Smokin Don
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 12:05:24 AM »
Both versions look and sound delicious!

BTW, you really did get that cooker screaming hot!

Apr 05 2016

I seasoned the beef with some Weber’s Chicago steak seasoning and smoked it on my Traeger with the bacon. I started at 2225 deg. for a half hour then went to 300 deg. grill level and took a total of 1 ¼ hours to get the beef to 140 deg. IT. I let the bacon on another 10 minutes.  When it all cooled down some I covered and in the fridge.

Smokin Don

Thanks Davin, I corrected it! :) Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 12:06:44 AM »
Aaaahhhhh I just got a nice chuckle out of it...  ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 07:46:38 AM »
That looks a lot prettier than my "bowl o' stuff."  Thanks for the details on the cook.  It really does look and sound amazing.  I'm gonna have to rummage the freezer and go at this again soon.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS