Author Topic: Once again another butt..  (Read 3366 times)

Offline dane2992

Once again another butt..
« Reply #-1 on: April 13, 2016, 12:14:55 AM »
Been a while since I've been on here. Miss it a bit.. Well wife is out of town and I'm having dinner with some neighbors tomorrow night. I have a 9lb butt I'm going to smoke on my trager junior. I'm going to first trim the fat cap a bit and then smother the butt in some molasses and season it with some " fine swine and bovine" and let it sit in the fridge until i start smoking at 4am. Any input or helpful advice is always welcome. Was debating to flavor inject it with some peach nectar but didn't think the flavors would blend well or not.. Input?

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Re: Once again another butt..
« on: April 13, 2016, 12:22:01 AM »
Dane I never tried to inject with peach nectar might be good. Apple juice is favored as an injection. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline dane2992

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 12:37:29 AM »
Dane I never tried to inject with peach nectar might be good. Apple juice is favored as an injection. Don
Thanks don. I did at one point i poured porch nectar on and it tasted great but lost the bark in the process
I'm going to give it a go. Should I inject before putting on the smoker or while I leave it in the fridge?

Offline dane2992

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 06:28:13 AM »
Thanks don. I did at one point i poured porch nectar on and it tasted great but lost the bark in the process
I'm going to give it a go. Should I inject before putting on the smoker or while I leave it in the fridge?
Put the butt on at 415am. Got to inject it once and the injector broke.... Just my luck eh.lol

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 09:16:24 AM »
Get one like this and don't look back
Bayou Classic 5011 2-Ounce Stainless-Steel Seasoning Injector with Marinade Needles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KDZ1VA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_1zKdxb8V7W1P1
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline dane2992

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 09:47:40 AM »
Get one like this and don't look back
Bayou Classic 5011 2-Ounce Stainless-Steel Seasoning Injector with Marinade Needles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KDZ1VA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_1zKdxb8V7W1P1
That's a nice looking injector. I'll have to take a look when I have the $$

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 10:42:40 AM »
I use peach nectar a lot with pork butts. It definitely adds a unique flavor to the pork. Here is a post from awhile back
where I injected with a mixture of peach nectar, apple juice and hot sauce. http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=10196.msg138135#msg138135

Chris Lilly has an excellent recipe for peach pork butt:   

3/4 cup peach juice
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tbs salt
1 tbs worcestershire sauce
combine all injection ingredients and heat in sauce pan until sugar dissolves.

I substituted the peach nectar for the peach juice.

Hope this helps.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 10:52:57 AM »
I have used Kerns peach nectar for injecting butts and it is nice.....I really like Kerns apricot or pear nectar as well.....not quite as sweet but really good

Great call on the Fine Swine and Bovine......it is one of my most favorite rubs......in fact I gotta get a hold of Tee for another jumbo size bottle  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 10:55:07 AM »
I have used Kerns peach nectar for injecting butts and it is nice.....I really like Kerns apricot or pear nectar as well.....not quite as sweet but really good

Great call on the Fine Swine and Bovine......it is one of my most favorite rubs......in fact I gotta get a hold of Tee for another jumbo size bottle  8)

Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 10:57:40 AM »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline dane2992

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 11:22:25 AM »

I have to do the same thing actually. Lol running low.

Also before I left for getting my vehicle serviced the internal temp was 140° after only being 4.5 hrs. Yet my trager is giving me extremely high temps when set to 225°.  But when I put it to 180° it stays closer to that temp. The struggle is real.

Update just got home from doing some things in town and the but is currently at 167°. Cooking a little bit faster than I want. Hopefully the stall period is a long one
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:05:28 PM by dane2992 »

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 12:10:12 PM »

Also before I left for getting my vehicle serviced the internal temp was 140° after only being 4.5 hrs. Yet my trager is giving me extremely high temps when set to 225°.  But when I put it to 180° it stays closer to that temp. The struggle is real.

Update just got home from doing some things in town and the but is currently at 167°. Cooking a little bit faster than I want. Hopefully the stall period is a long one
Foil, towel, and cooler for hours if you get done too early
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 12:36:06 PM »
Pappy is wise. I held 6 butts for 5 hours one time when I cooked for a wedding and everything ran late. I double wrapped em in two layers of hd foil and put em in a cooler. Had a two hour drive and then the service ran late. They came off of the pit at 11 am and couldn't start pulling until darn near 6 that evening. They were still hot and everything came out great............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline dane2992

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 12:43:29 PM »

Foil, towel, and cooler for hours if you get done too early
I've foiled, towel, and cooler before but only for 3 hrs. Assuming you and the member below have done it longer. Did it have any affect on the butt itself?

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 01:02:45 PM »
No bark. I thought they would be mushy but they weren't.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven