Author Topic: TipTop Controller Question  (Read 26700 times)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
TipTop Controller Question
« Reply #-1 on: April 18, 2016, 09:16:15 PM »
Good Day All,

Sorry haven't been around as much as I would like to but work has me swamped to say the least.

My buddy has a BGE and I talked him into looking at the http://tiptoptemp.com/ . He cooked a turkey the other day but was having problems keeping it lit and kept having to stoke it.

I asked the question if he had the inlet wide open and let the TipTop control he said he couldn't as the temp would go to high.

Any suggestions????

Thanks,
CDN
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline hikerman

Re: TipTop Controller Question
« on: April 18, 2016, 09:51:54 PM »
Good Day All,

Sorry haven't been around as much as I would like to but work has me swamped to say the least.

My buddy has a BGE and I talked him into looking at the http://tiptoptemp.com/ . He cooked a turkey the other day but was having problems keeping it lit and kept having to stoke it.

I asked the question if he had the inlet wide open and let the TipTop control he said he couldn't as the temp would go to high.

Any suggestions????

Thanks,
CDN

Drew I think it was North Ontario Smoker who had one of the tip-tops. Maybe pm him?
Good to see you around again buddy!  ;D

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 12:53:44 AM »
Good Day All,

Any suggestions????

Thanks,
CDN

Drew I think it was North Ontario Smoker who had one of the tip-tops. Maybe pm him?

Thanks
Good Day All,

Any suggestions????

Thanks,
CDN

Thanks Gene but I won't be around much till fall, just lurking

I could pm him but then others wouldn't be able to search the answer.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 05:20:51 AM »
If your patient I have ordered a TTT for my Akorn in  Florida and will be installing and trying out when I visit the sunshine state next weekend.  Will have a video detailing the experience.  This experience may not be the same since the BGE is probably more tight of a unit than the Akorn is when it come to air infiltration although it should provide a good guide in reference and overall performance and use.

Thanks  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 10:57:19 PM »
Here's how I work my Tiptop. First I use 2/3 of the charcoal you normally would. I have the bottom wide open and the Tiptop wide open. When I get about 35 degrees away from the temp I want I close the bottom completely. When I reach the full temp then I close the Tiptop. The Tiptop will now open and close and regulate the air and keep the temps constant. You have to watch it for a few minutes to make minor adjustments to set it correctly. After that you should be good to go. I have held 250 or whatever I need for hours this way. The air will draw in at the top and exhaust at the same time. If you find you need more air then open the bottom 1/4 inch....no more. Make sure to pull the silicone band down over the egg top to create a good seal around the bottom of the Tiptop. Hope that helps
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 05:48:13 AM »
Here's how I work my Tiptop. First I use 2/3 of the charcoal you normally would. I have the bottom wide open and the Tiptop wide open. When I get about 35 degrees away from the temp I want I close the bottom completely. When I reach the full temp then I close the Tiptop. The Tiptop will now open and close and regulate the air and keep the temps constant. You have to watch it for a few minutes to make minor adjustments to set it correctly. After that you should be good to go. I have held 250 or whatever I need for hours this way. The air will draw in at the top and exhaust at the same time. If you find you need more air then open the bottom 1/4 inch....no more. Make sure to pull the silicone band down over the egg top to create a good seal around the bottom of the Tiptop. Hope that helps

That's great info! Thanks  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 02:50:06 PM »
Great advice, I like my tip top temp. The gadget don't make sense but does work good.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 04:34:42 AM »
Thank You Sir, I'll pass along your advice ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351