Author Topic: Trying To Decide  (Read 3139 times)

Offline flatbreadjunction

Trying To Decide
« Reply #-1 on: April 22, 2016, 03:37:34 PM »
Hi, I am new to the site.  I have been researching pellet grills for a few months now.  I am looking for some advice.  I have narrowed down my choices to two, a rec tec 680 and a Blazn Grills Grid Iron.  To make a long story short, it has basically come down to the fact that these two seem to give the most value for the buck and you still get a high quality product. So now I am trying to figure out if there is enough difference between the two to justify spending $400 more for the grid iron for similarly equipped grills. I would appreciate any input you might have.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Trying To Decide
« on: April 22, 2016, 03:52:57 PM »
I own a Rec-Tec as well as a MAK, and there are several here that do...As well the Grid Iron is popular.... And both are really good. In fact, I think they currently use the same controller. Each has some features that the other does not, so I would suggest drawing a vertical line on a sheet of paper, and list the features  in the order of how you prioritize the importance of each.
Then, you can look at them and kind of "score" the 2 for your own uses.

And - not to add confusion to your choices - but the Mak 1 Star is a lot of grill for the money as well. And - it is ALL American made, and the list of accessories you can get, and upgrades available is very impressive. They are one of our sponsors - so give them a look-ver if it is within reason for you.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 03:54:15 PM »
Can't help you with this one. Both are great grills.

How about this: which one will look better on your patio?
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline tailfeathers

• To blessed to be distressed!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 03:54:58 PM »
I can only tell you that if you want to take my RecTec 680 from me you had best bring plenty of firepower! Got mine just before the 4th of July last year and I love it!
Bradley 6 rack digital w/ 900w mod
auber pid
Rec Tec 680
Ducane gasser
weber kettles
Anova precision SV
Kitchenaide mixer/chef's choice grinder
LEM stuffer
Vacmaster VP112 chamber sealer
A-maze-n Qmatz/tubes
Cabela's 10" slicer
Cook-Air grill
Cabela's 80L dehydrator

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 04:01:18 PM »
I own a Rec-Tec and like tailfeathers if you try to take mine you'd better be ready..  Love that grill

For the $$$$ Rec-Tec is hard to beat, but I will say a MAK is like a tank and worth the $$$$ if you have the extra $500.00 or more than a Rec-Tec 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 04:32:06 PM »
Not really helpful here except to prove to you that pellet cookers ARE legit. I really hadn't heard of such a thing until we had to evacuate the suburb of New Orleans for hurricane Katrina in 2005. Of course waiting until that Sunday morning to leave town meant we had to travel farther to be safe from the storm. We ended up in Scottsboro Alabama where a friend of mine lived and spent a month there. To break up the monotonous time of sitting around my friend suggested I check out a BBQ store that sold pellet cookers. At first I couldn't wrap my head around how wood pellets produced BBQ. After seeing one in action and tasting the food(chicken and ribs)you can cook on one I decided that I would one day own a Traeger. Not trying to sway you on a brand, just confirming their legitimacy. The following Easter weekend we needed a break from the New Orleans area and repairs and went back to visit my friend. I got a fantastic deal on an Executive 125 and brought it back home(even though it was gutted at the time). Been a fan of that pellet cooker for over ten years now! I will tell you that I do own a variety of other grills/smokers but I do have a place in my heart for a good pellet cooker. I was lucky to get mine which was made in the U.S. before they were being made in China.

And this was at a time when people were pooh poohing the idea of pellet cookers. I see now a whole lot more companies have jumped on the pellet cooker bandwagon.

You're going to love whichever one you get!
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 05:48:36 PM »
I'd say do a Google search on issues with pellet grills that will at least get you a good starting point.   

Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 03:46:01 PM »
Love Pellet Grills! I have 2 of'em. Whichever you get, you'll love it ;)
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 04:57:27 PM »
I own the Grid Iron and have cooked on the Rec Tec several times.  I, personally chose the Grid Iron over the Rec Tec for the removable burn pot, standard second half shelf and front shelf. It is a heavy duty cooker. The controllers are basically the same and IF I had to choose again I would buy another one.  Here is a review I did here on this board on my Grid Iron:

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=7160.0

With either one you can't go wrong. Give Tim Mickey ( 1-402-223-0211) at Blaz'n Grill a call. He is very knowledgeable and won't steer you wrong.  You can also call Ray (855-696-0890) at Rec Tec a call. He is also the go to man on the Rec Tec.

Both have excellent customer service.

Also welcome to the forum from SE Georgia!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline flatbreadjunction

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 09:24:04 PM »
Still struggling with the decision.  I see where the grid iron can go up to 600 degrees.  Has any one had any success with that? I don't see many posts of people grilling or searing steaks on a grid iron.  Anybody know of any videos or links for that or does any one have any stories to share?

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 09:45:18 PM »
Throw some grill grates on your Rec Tec. I have grilled on one. Remove everything from inside. Lay some foil down around the firepot. Only put the cooking grates back in and set the grill grates on top of those over the firepot. Set your RT for 400 and get your grill on.

I have no experience on the Blazin, but I am sure the happy owners will answer your grilling questions.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 11:02:43 PM »
After researching for a year, we went with a MAK because they have the highest quality, use the best metals, have the best controller and the most versatility on the market.

They are without a doubt the Cadillac of pellet smokers.

That's my 2¢. :) 
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Pappymn

Trying To Decide
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 09:49:38 AM »
After researching for a year, we went with a MAK because they have the highest quality, use the best metals, have the best controller and the most versatility on the market.

They are without a doubt the Cadillac of pellet smokers.

That's my 2¢. :)
Tent is right. But I only use mine for low and slow cooking. I could grill on it, but I just don't. I use my Weber for high heat cooking
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 10:14:03 AM »
Still struggling with the decision.  I see where the grid iron can go up to 600 degrees.  Has any one had any success with that? I don't see many posts of people grilling or searing steaks on a grid iron.  Anybody know of any videos or links for that or does any one have any stories to share?

Am not sure about the 600 degrees, maybe the newer ones go that high. Mine has a high of 500 degrees. I also only use my Grid Iron for smoking. If I want something hot and fast I will use one of my other cookers for that job.

Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 10:21:09 AM »
My Memphis pellet grill is the one pellet grill that you can go low & slow and then all the way up to 600F. I believe the elite model can get to 700F. This is due to the double wall insulation they have. You can grill with it as good or better than a gas grill.

Memphis is another option that you would not be disappointed with I promise...
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven