Author Topic: Apps + Pizza = Appza! One man's quest for lunch (long read, lotsa pics!)  (Read 2671 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Apps + Pizza = Appza! One man's quest for lunch (long read, lotsa pics!)
« Reply #-1 on: May 03, 2016, 09:17:59 AM »
Every once in a while I do some tinkering in the kitchen. I try to come up with something that I haven't eaten before. Do you ever just get sick of food? Where nothing sounds good? I do. That's what lead to this creation. This wasn't done recently, it's just in the RG Archives and I figured I'd share it with y'all :) Picture quality is not my usual but sometimes I just roll with my crappy cell phone but you get the gist of it.

There are lots of pictures on this one, even though they suck I felt compelled to take lots and share them all I guess, who knows?

Sit back, relax and let me paint a picture of days gone by as I weave a tale of misspent youth (hey, it was a few months back so yeah, I WAS younger!). It was a mundane Monday afternoon, not unlike any other day I suppose. I was in the kitchen scrounging for something to eat but nothing was piquing my interest so I had an idea. "Why not take those ABTs and Moinks that I have left over from yesterday's smoke and make a pizza?" So, after agreeing with the voices in my head, that's what I set out to do. So strap in kiddies, it's going to be a bumpy ride (not really, I just wanted to add a little excitement!). It went a little like this :

I took out the kitchenaid and whipped up a batch of dough. I normally make it and let it rise, punch it down,portion it and let it proof overnight in the fridge. I wasn't having any of that today! Nope. Made it, socked it in it's dough face, ripped off a chunk, let it rise again then slapped it around until it it complied with my request to make it round and flat. While I was abusing the dough the wife had a pot of homemade Alfredo bubbling on the stove. That pizza dough looked mighty worried, he KNEW that hot cheese was coming his way. I almost felt sorry for him.....almost.

We were nearing the deadline as lunch hours were waning, we were steadily approaching that time where you wonder should you even eat now, is it too late for lunch? Is this an early dinner? Our backs were up against the wall and I had but a mere split second to make a decision. I didn't come THIS far to turn back now. I....WAS...GOING...FOR...IT!!! I, with ninja like reflexes and skill, slapped that pizza together so fast I had Domino's calling me offering me a job! I assembled the creation thusly : dough, alfredo, sliced moinks, a sprinkling of cheese, whole ABTs. more cheese. Onto a screaming hot pizza stone on the Keg it went. Toward the end, I added a swirl of my homemade bbq sauce (the same one used on the moinks) and it was good eats!

I ate until I was content. What about my Wife you ask? She was having none of it, she doesn't care for Moinks (she's weird!) I look at it as she just let the big dog eat, the KING feasted and the Land was safe again, or something heroic sounding like that. I am at the end of the story so I literally am just making stuff up now so.......you've heard the tale of all tales now gaze upon my pictures! There's a lot of them, but you'll find that at the end, you'll be longing for more and dare I say that you'll revisit this thread over and over and re-read it because.....well....you'll not even be able to answer that really. You just can't help yourself. :)

THE END!

**RECIPES**
Moinks
Atomic Buffalo Turds
RG's Hand Tossed Pizza Dough

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 11:54:43 AM by Regular Guy »
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Great story and pictures - read for the 45th time already!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline RG

Great story and pictures - read for the 45th time already!

Yeah....I have issues I guess, lol. Every once in a while the creative writer in me takes over and makes what should've been a 3 sentence post into several paragraphs :P

Thanks for indulging me :)
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
It was a great post - I enjoyed it!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Tailgating is my game

After reading this I was thinking ??? ??? ??? Why did he not post the recipe of what he was drinking as he wrote this. The pizza looks great but the high proof drink(s) you are having must be world class & high proof ;) :D :D

I loved it & I loved the story!
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline RG

The scary part is that was done 100% sober, lol.

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
Heck! I would've been happy to have the moinks and abt's by them selves but I'll take the pizza too. Looks great! Too bad there won't be a Kegtoberfest 2016 to share those great things. I may be up in Scottsboro after Labor Day to cook for that Red Cross fundraiser though. ;D
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
After reading this I was thinking ??? ??? ??? Why did he not post the recipe of what he was drinking as he wrote this. The pizza looks great but the high proof drink(s) you are having must be world class & high proof ;) :D :D

I would like to request some recipes with this great post! It will make it more powerful -  when someone sees what you did here - it will allow them to make the dish without having to hunt for the individual recipes all over the 'net. Perhaps even searching LTBBQ and linking the recipes that already exist will be easiest?
It might surprise you to know that we get 5-10,000 page hits everyday. Many of those lurkers are new to outdoor cooking - and we can be their hero by creating content that helps them learn, and grow their skills.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline RG

I would like to request some recipes with this great post! It will make it more powerful -  when someone sees what you did here - it will allow them to make the dish without having to hunt for the individual recipes all over the 'net. Perhaps even searching LTBBQ and linking the recipes that already exist will be easiest?
It might surprise you to know that we get 5-10,000 page hits everyday. Many of those lurkers are new to outdoor cooking - and we can be their hero by creating content that helps them learn, and grow their skills.

I appreciate the kind words but my take is that if every post I make has a recipe in it, it's going to be cluttered beyond belief! That book I wrote would be about 3 pages longer, lol. I think that we'd be run over with links to different recipes for Moinks, ABTs, Pizza Dough, Alfredo, BBQ sauce, etc.... I did list what was on it but how one makes it is open to interpretation.

I am all for helping but I also think that this site among many other net resources gives results with a quick search. I will go back and try to put some links in this post though, since you asked ;)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
You can just link the recipes in the recipe section of the forum...

That is one heck of a pizza creation!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline RG

You can just link the recipes in the recipe section of the forum...

That is one heck of a pizza creation!

Well, I COULD'VE done that but it wouldn't have been MY recipes so I just created posts for the dough and ABTs, already had one made for my moinks :)

As for the Alfredo and BBQ sauce, that's something to be found on your own. I don't share that particular bbq sauce recipe so use one you like in its place and the better half is not home for me to ask her how she makes her Alfredo sauce :(

It was tasty, I need to make another one soon. Maybe a thin crust version or perhaps even a pan pizza version.

Offline RG

Heck! I would've been happy to have the moinks and abt's by them selves but I'll take the pizza too. Looks great! Too bad there won't be a Kegtoberfest 2016 to share those great things. I may be up in Scottsboro after Labor Day to cook for that Red Cross fundraiser though. ;D

Yeah, I recently chatted with Bamabob via e-mail and he mentioned that Phil & Janis were hoping for another KFest this year, that they were looking forward to it. I told Bob that that ship had sailed, lol. It does seem that this forum has member get togethers though!