Author Topic: Taco Coney Island Dogs  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Taco Coney Island Dogs
« Reply #-1 on: May 07, 2016, 09:22:22 AM »
May 06 2016

I get a craving for chili dogs once in a while. Since my last order from Penzey’s I had a jar of their Original Taco seasoning I wanted to try out. I thought why not try using taco meat instead of chili on a hot dog.

My hot dogs were a little different too, I used some Bockwurst from my butcher; he calls them Coney Island dogs. I had some brat buns from our local Walmart bakery to use. For a side I had Mac n cheese.

I was going to use my Lodge CI Hibachi so I had it set up with ¾ a chimney of Stubbs briquettes set up in the grill ready to light. I had a pound of ground round I got frying in my CI skillet and went out and lit the briquettes.

When the beef was getting browned well I added 3 good TBS. of the taco seasoning and stirred it in. When it started to stick to the bottom I deglazed the skillet with some beer. The directions said to use water but I thought beer has to be better! I kept a check on it and added a little beer when needed as I did the bockwurst.

I dumped the charcoal in the grill, added the top grate and sprayed with a little olive oil. I went inside and got the bockwurst and buns ready to go.

I had sliced the buns almost through and cut just enough off the top so they set square on the grill to toast. I sprayed them with olive oil and got them toasted. I added the bockwurst turned a few times and cooked until well browned and starting to split open some.

I heated up the Mac n cheese and made our sandwiches. My wife had taco meat and shredded cheese on hers. I had one that way and one with taco meat and chopped onions. Mine had a layer of mustard in the bun, when I have brats or hot dogs there have to be some mustard involved.

Tasted pretty darn good! I ate the one with cheese first and only got ¾ of the second one down! I think for any chili dogs staying with hot dogs would let you enjoy more of the sauce on it. Then I could eat two!

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Taco Coney Island Dogs
« on: May 07, 2016, 10:12:03 AM »
Oh my do those look good.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 10:15:12 AM »
Two please!  They look great Don! Um I might need a third one too! :P

Offline Elzic

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 11:22:08 AM »
Very nice!  Looks great!   I hadn't thought of knocking the top off of a brat bun to toast it... (I dig that notched spoon too)
Elzic
Norfolk, VA
Novice Producer, Experienced Consumer.
Big Easy SRG

Offline Pappymn

Taco Coney Island Dogs
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 12:47:11 PM »
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109