Author Topic: Pellet Smoker question  (Read 7992 times)

Offline ff13375

Pellet Smoker question
« Reply #-1 on: May 17, 2016, 11:28:27 AM »
So some of you know I just picked up a traeger lil tex elite. I have some question?

1. How high should the chimney cap be set? I showed a picture to a friend and he said I need to make it a lot lower. 
2. What do you think about this down draft mod? http://dongodkesdowndraft.com/
3. Right now I have the maverick  ET-732. Do you run the wire under the smoker lid? If so will this mess up the wire?
4. For doing burgers and steak, would traeger CAST IRON REVERSIBLE GRIDDLE $55  be worth the money or try something else?
5. If at some point I decide to upgrade to a PID controller, What one should i be looking at?
6. Rib rack or add second shelf?

Sorry for some many question and I am pretty sure that some have been already answered. Thanks for all your time and help 

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Re: Pellet Smoker question
« on: May 17, 2016, 11:49:50 AM »
I have my Cap set with the bottom edge of the cap even with the top edge of my chimney on my Traeger E70.
I thought about the downdraft but I think I get good smoke throughout my chamber. When first starting I get smoke everywhere, out the top and bottom of the lid, from the grease drain and even out the little hole for the RTD. The sides of my lid are well fit and no smoke from there. Thought about sealing the top and bottom of the lid but never have. If I did would only seal the top, the small gap at the bottom lets my probe cables have some room. I have a Maverick ET 732 also and is over 3 yrs. old and no problem with the cables.

I added a second shelf before Traeger had the kit and like it but seldom use since I don't cook big cooks much anymore. If you add a downdraft then you would need a different way for a second shelf.

I have had my Traeger over 5 yrs. now and went to a Savannah Stoker V3 PID controller and love it. They are hard to get since they usually go fast when they come out with a new version.

Hope this helps and if you need anything you can always PM me Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 11:53:29 AM »
Hi ff! I don't have a Traeger but rather a GMG D. Boone, so I will answer what I can.
1) In my instruction book it mentioned keeping cap up high.
3) I would drill a small hole about grate level on whatever side you can put your Maverick on.
4) If I were you i'd invest in a set of Grill Grates, may be the best money invested for what you want to do!
6) A second shelf can hold whatever the space will allow, whereas the rib rack will only hold ribs.

Hopefully other members can further help you.
Good luck! And get smoking!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 12:30:19 PM »
The downdraft mod is well worth the coin. It not only channels the smoke along the grate level it also helps with evening out temps from one side to another.

I have used downdraft mods in a Lil Tex like yours, a Rec Tec and GMG Boone and Bowie with great results in all pits.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 12:32:00 PM »
With my Grid Iron I keep the cap up high. Seems to help draw the smoke out better. I also installed the downdraft hood from the same place you are looking. Best money spent as it helped stabilize my temps across the grill. I used to use firebricks under the deflector to help with the temp swings.  My Grid Iron also came pre-drilled for it's own meat thermometer. I enlarged the hole some to allow the use of my ET 732. I can get 3 wires through the hole now and it keeps from having the thermos crimped. If you didn't know already the stock thermo wires from Maverick don't last very long, especially if they get wet or crimped.  I buy generic ones (6 foot) from Amazon. Hope this helps.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline ff13375

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 12:50:01 PM »
So I was also considering replacing the Maverick with a I grill 2. Is it worth upgrading or should i just stick with the maverick 732

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 01:03:55 PM »
So I was also considering replacing the Maverick with a I grill 2. Is it worth upgrading or should i just stick with the maverick 732

IMO the Maverick is a better device with less snags.
If you want to upgrade look at a Thermoworks device. They are the best!

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 01:20:09 PM »

Does Thermoworks sell a device with bluetooth or wi-fi connectivity like the 732? I would definitely go with Thermoworks if they did, but I haven't seen it. 

Offline hikerman

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 01:27:17 PM »

Does Thermoworks sell a device with bluetooth or wi-fi connectivity like the 732? I would definitely go with Thermoworks if they did, but I haven't seen it.

Yes Don. They have two I think that would work.  A ThermaQ 2 channel thermocouple alarm and a BlueTherm Duo.

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 02:35:58 PM »

Yes Don. They have two I think that would work.  A ThermaQ 2 channel thermocouple alarm and a BlueTherm Duo.

Thanks, The Blue Therm Duo is what I need. I had been looking at the ThermaQ, but found that it is not a wireless device. My 732 quit working about a month ago and this thread came along just at the right time. Thanks again, Gene. Your helpful information made my day. I just placed my order. The real selling point for me was the temperature range. It reads from -147.8 to 2502 F. I once cooked a chicken to 2500 degrees. Kimmie would have loved it.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 02:42:03 PM »
Congrats on your new BlueTherm Don! ;)

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 04:32:18 PM »
Becasuse my cooking area is under cover I use a stack.
Traeger no damper.

Royall RG2000 1/4 dampered

Grid Iron with 1/3 stack 1/3 dampered  not finished yet but usable
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 05:13:58 PM »
Hey Art, that's a really nice set up!

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 06:06:42 PM »
Hey Art, that's a really nice set up!
BD
Thanks and I forget to add my point.

My Traeger experiences proved to me the cap is not needed on a Traeger with it low CFM blower unless to keep water out.
Now the Royall and the Grid Iron has a much more powerful blower and without some stack restriction I lose a lot of smoke.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 06:27:14 PM »
Here's my take:

1)  The height of the chimney on a pellet smoker doesn't really matter, for one simple reason: The smoke is not drawn out, rather it's forced out by the induction fan.  Some pellet smokers do not even have a chimney for this very reason.   

2) Smokeasaurus nailed this one:
The downdraft mod is well worth the coin. It not only channels the smoke along the grate level it also helps with evening out temps from one side to another.

Again, keep in mind a Pellet Smoker uses an induction fan, which forces air/smoke through the chamber. The downdraft baffle helps direct and keep the smoke  in contact with your food longer!

One Caution: Be absolutely sure that the downdraft baffle you buy is designed for your grill so that the air flow rate does not change.  Restricting the airflow will definitely cause problems!

3) I agree with the others. The Maverick ET-732 is a GREAT unit. I have one that is 5+ years old and still works great!  As long as you are careful you can run the wire under the lid without trouble.  Two things to avoid:  a) avoid kinks in the wire, and b) avoid getting moisture into the probe where the wire goes in.

4) Your call.  The Traeger grill/griddle may be designed to fit your grill better.

5) Savannah Stoker is a forum sponsor that makes and sells PID controllers. They are probably the best after-market controllers out.

Here: a link:  Savannah Stoker

6) Rib Rack versus Second shelf?  Again, personal preference, but if I had to choose only one, I would go with a second shelf because you can do more things than just ribs with a second shelf.

That's my 2ยข and that's probably what it's worth, but I'm sticking with it!   :D
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68