Cured Meats & Food Preservation > Dehydrating

Dehydrator Models

(1/4) > >>

RandyG:
I am a jerky addict and want to start making my own.
I see a lot of you seem to really like the LEM.
Is this the go to brand or does everyone have other suggestions ?
Is it better to go with the stainless steel model over the plastic ? How reliable and durable are they ?
Even though it is expensive would it be better to go with like the Cabela IK-515819 ?
I also see a lot of Excalibur models out there.
I would eventually like to move up to sausage making too.

teesquare:
Dehydrators operate at temps. usually lower than 150F. So - they need not be as "robust" as cookers. Stainless is always nice - as long as it is of a grade of stainless that is meaningful, i.e. - will not corrode. ( Believe it or not - much of the stainless you see today WILL rust.  )The LEM is really nice.

Some of the plastic models have trays that look like the pattern of expanded metal. Avoid them. They become so brittle that they break just from handling. And...wonder where those plasticizers that left the plastic trays went to? (YIKES...)

SO - lots of good options - even building your own with plywood, and lining it with thin stainless or high temp plastic can be done. Plans are not eh 'net for that.

I own a Cabela's similar to the one you listed ( got it from a member here - nepas ) I love it. Works great. But, unless you are going to do a LOT of jerky - it may be too big. I typically make 30 lbs. at a time.

nepas:
I had to down size to the round 1000w open country. Works good in the 5th wheel.

KyNola:
I have the Excalibur brand.  Works great for me.

tailfeathers:
The Cabela's 1K-515819 is what I have now and I couldn't be happier with it. I previously had a Cabela's 1K-540062 and although it worked ok there were some drawbacks. The biggest being that no matter how carefully they were handled, the trays were made of brittle plastic and they cracked. The other thing I didn't like was the fact that there was no door, the 10 trays made up the front so they all had to be in place whether you were using them or not. Spend the extra and get the "commercial" model from the get-go would be my advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version