Author Topic: Trager Grill Upgrade  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Trager Grill Upgrade
« Reply #-1 on: June 16, 2016, 11:00:30 AM »
Didn't know where to put this so stuck it here. If any one is interested Traeger has upgraded their controller and call the new grills Pro Series. They claim it is a digital controller. It looks to me like their 180 controller with a digital display; you still have to dial in the temp but they claim a gaurateed +- 15 deg. from set point at ambient temp of 72 deg. and no wind. If it does hold that I would say it is a good upgrade. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Trager Grill Upgrade
« on: June 16, 2016, 11:14:42 AM »
While it is a good upgrade....It it still lags behind many controllers on the market in other brands. + - 5 degrees F is not uncommon now. I often wonder why Traeger - who invented pellet grilling - allowed themselves to fall so far behind in product innovation?

I suppose that they have been coasting on their initial reputation for all of these years, still I would like to see them re-engage and make truly competitively featured products like other manufacturers.

Don, do you have the Savannah Stoker on yours?
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 11:27:15 AM »
Well nice to see Traeger trying to improve their controllers now.

But most lay-people who walk into a store and buy one are not going to know the real difference between the old and newer controllers anyways. I don't think Traeger has been forced to update their controller because most customers did not know it could be better.

They were about the only pellet grill around for a long time. Now that many other models have sprouted up so they have decided to make improvements or lose market share IMHO.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 11:36:46 AM »
Well nice to see Traeger trying to improve their controllers now.

But most lay-people who walk into a store and buy one are not going to know the real difference between the old and newer controllers anyways. I don't think Traeger has been forced to update their controller because most customers did not know it could be better.

They were about the only pellet grill around for a long time. Now that many other models have sprouted up so they have decided to make improvements or lose market share IMHO.
Sad to think companies "think" that they can keep doing the same old thing year after year and have the issues they have and not care

I'm sure Rec-Tec, MAK, GMG just to name a few jumped in and took a lot of their sales  because of issues they didn't seem worried about.

Not knocking the build quality just say'n
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 12:37:50 PM »
But...at the end of all our observations...any old Treager ( or new one) will still get the job done ;). AND I think that in an unintended way - Treager  has created "2nd time pellet grill buyers" - because after a person gets to a certain point in experience - they tend to want to do more, or do some things differently/additionally to what they have been.
Then the "gadget bug" bites them in the wallet - and a new cooker comes home. This is not true just of pellet grills of course.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401