Author Topic: Kamado purchase help  (Read 4688 times)

Offline John Schoenauer

Kamado purchase help
« Reply #-1 on: July 06, 2016, 09:35:42 PM »
We have decided to purchase a Kamado grill and have narrowed the choices to Big Green Egg XL, Kamado Joe Big Joe,or Primo Oval XL. Is there really much difference in how they cook? I can see the possibility of dividing the fire pot on the Big Joe and the Primo. Both of those also have the ability to raise or lower the grill. I am seeing the dealer might be the deciding factor. I guess I want to know if anyone has problems with any  of these cookers?

Thanks
John Schoenauer

Offline Tater

Re: Kamado purchase help
« on: July 06, 2016, 09:47:36 PM »
I love my large BGE but envious of the shape of the primo for cooking ribs along with the ability to have two zones for cooking.
Karubecue
LBGE
Orion Cooker
Brinkman Vertical Smoker

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 09:52:46 PM »
Wow...there are a lot of good ceramic cookers and I think they all perform well...But look the dealer support, warranties, and available accessories as part of the formula for your decision.

And - there are some great cookers that are not ceramic...the Bubba Keg - and the Chargriller Akorn kamado cooker. Several folks here have them, and hopefully they can  provide personal experience to help you decide.

All are good choices. Just finding the one that balances the price and features for YOU is what is most important. Looking forward  to your pick and some cooks from you!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline rwalters

Kamado purchase help
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 10:47:06 PM »
Just shy of 4 years ago I was in your shoes. I was in the market for a ceramic kamado. Long story short, like you, I began asking around. I asked and asked and asked. Asked anyone that could provide real world data/opinions. Next, I was able to swing by a couple of local dealers and see the big 3 (BGE, Primo and Kamado Joe). Personally, I was torn between Primo and KJ. There were things in each that I really liked. Hmmm, what to do. Next I decided to compile a list of questions and call each of the big 3 and bounce my questions off of the company rep that answered the phone. All I can say is that my phone conversation with Kamado Joe hands down sealed the deal. It instantly became a no- brainer for me. Their customer service is other worldly. Since becoming a customer, I have been very pleased with their innovation. Their Divide and Conquer cooking system is awesome. They released the JOEtisserie last year, and will be releasing the BigJOE version soon. And they continue to come out with accessories that no one else offers.  And to top that, they are the only company that ships warranty replacement parts directly to your door absolutely free.

Please don't take my excitement to mean that KJ is the best kamado...it was/is simply the best for me. They are all good, and the cool thing is...you really cannot make a bad decision.  Keep us posted :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 04:25:11 AM »
You can't go,wrong with any on your short list. I have owned the Primo XL , currently have the Visions and the steel Akorn. They all perform well the Primo XL is very unique it is the only oval shaped ceramic on the market and its shape allows you to do true imdirect cooking but it also gives the most sq inches so if available space is important then I'd say the XL.  All the other round type ceramics  perform about the same the food coming off cheaper Visions is no different then BGE or the Joe  so it may come down to dealer support or available accessories. The Akorn is really unique for its price and can perform just as well as its ceramic brothers but it does have a longer leaning curve to master also because of the steel construction it probably won't last as long as a ceramic would.   Good Luck! :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 07:31:54 AM »
They all are variations of the same theme. They all cook the same. I have a 4 year old AKORN $300 that still works fine. I have a friend with a XL BGE ( scared $2000) .
If money was no object I'd get a Weber Summit ($1500 - 2000) it's a Kamado with several design improvements.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 09:12:04 AM »
I'm in the Akorn Kamado group. For about $300 you get an insulated steel grill that can sear a steak at 700 degrees or slow cook a brisket for hours. If you keep the bottom ash catcher clean it will last you for years. Also you can buy a brand new one every four years and it still would be cheaper.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 10:52:50 AM »
I'm in the Akorn Kamado group. For about $300 you get an insulated steel grill that can sear a steak at 700 degrees or slow cook a brisket for hours. If you keep the bottom ash catcher clean it will last you for years. Also you can buy a brand new one every four years and it still would be cheaper.
When I first got mine there was a lot of worry about lifespan.
I belong to a Kamado forum where the AKORN & Kamado Joe are the most represented.
Mine is 4 + years old, each year on its birthday I post the question how well is your cooker holding up & the vast majority are pleasantly surprised!
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline John Schoenauer

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 07:47:53 PM »
Thanks for all of your information. I should have added that we are leaning toward a Kamado that is about 24" grill surface. That is why we picked those 3 brands.

John Schoenauer

Offline rwalters

Kamado purchase help
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 09:17:20 AM »
Thanks for all of your information. I should have added that we are leaning toward a Kamado that is about 24" grill surface. That is why we picked those 3 brands.

John Schoenauer
Have you made a decision yet? The sooner you do, the sooner your cooking ;)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 10:42:41 AM »
The Weber Summit Charcoal Grill is a Kamado styled cooker with an advantage over the traditional ceramic models. If you overshoot your temps you can actually get them down again.............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline rwalters

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 10:53:43 AM »
The Weber Summit Charcoal Grill is a Kamado styled cooker with an advantage over the traditional ceramic models. If you overshoot your temps you can actually get them down again.............

I've been cooking on a ceramic kamado for a few years now.  Yes, if you overshoot, it can take a bit to bring it down.  With that said, with the use of this (http://www.thermoworks.com/Extra-Big-Loud) I have not overshot my desired temp in a long time.  Light the lump, and set the timer for 10-12 mins.  Close the lid w/ vents wide open, and set the timer for another 5 mins... check every few mins til sitting at desired temp.  Until the ceramic heat soaks, even if you do overshoot... it comes right back down when you close the vents down a bit.  Once the ceramic is heat soaked, that's a whole-nuther story.  Just gotta keep on top of the start-up process with a timer.  ;)

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 04:03:00 PM »
When my son-in-law was cooking on a Vision, I got him a Tip-Top-Temp.  IT took a little modification:

Worked like a charm . . . and it's only $20 ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline John Schoenauer

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 11:15:20 PM »
We were able to put our hands on all of the cookers that we were interested in yesterday. and at the last place we looked they had the Weber Summit Charcoal and the Kamado Joe. Our first impressions the Kamado Joe Big Joe the Lid is very heavy. The Primo is the most expensive  and the only cooker that we have a local dealer in our it the BGE. So we were really thinking the BGE but I wanted to talk to someone who had sold the BGE for a while. This dealer had switched from the BGE to Kamado Joe and Weber Summit. We watched quite a few videos of the Summit on you tube and will look some more. We will look at the Summit again closer to home.

Thanks
John Schoenauer

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 12:04:39 AM »
I would love a weber summit.  Get that one. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66