Cured Meats & Food Preservation > Pickling & Canning

Made a batch of Kimchi

(1/2) > >>

Smokin Don:
Aug 06 2016

Two days ago while at the grocery saw two nice heads of Napa cabbage. I got them to make a batch of kimchi. I rinsed them and cut up; in a large plastic container and layered with coarse kosher salt. It sat covered for 2 hours then rinsed well to get all the salt off.  It has wilted down enough to use a smaller bowl.

I added half to a smaller bowl I save for making kimchi. Then added half the other ingredients and repeated with the other half. This makes it easier to get mixed up and the cabbage all coated well.

It sat covered on the counter for 2 days. You need a container that seals well because this stuff does smell. To a kimchi lover it is a good smell!

Today it went into quart mason jars; topped with filtered water to cover. I usually place it in the fridge but I am letting this batch set out another day then it will go into the fridge. I like to let it set in the fridge for 4 to 5 days before I start using it.

I like it just as a side dish but it’s also great on pulled pork, brats and hot dogs. I have not cooked with it much but a lot of people do using in soups and stews.

Link to post w/recipe http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=2660.msg28842#msg28842

Cabbage cut and salted

Mixing in ingredients

Ready to set for 2 days

After 2 days

Made 3 quarts

Smokin Don

Tailgating is my game:
I have no idea what it tastes like but if I were in vegas   I would give 10-1 that it is great,,,I never go against you ;) ;) ;)

Smokin Don:

--- Quote from: Tailgating is my game on August 06, 2016, 08:46:23 PM ---I have no idea what it tastes like but if I were in vegas us I would give 10-1 that it is great,,,I never go against you ;) ;) ;)

--- End quote ---
It's Korean, it's hot, it stinks but love the stuff!!! Don

Tailgating is my game:
Thanks as I get older heat is not my thing LOL...but I bet it is good

ACW3:
Don,
We love Kimchi. I will have to make some sometime after we return home from our latest road trip.

Art

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version