Author Topic: pellet grill help  (Read 12530 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: pellet grill help
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 08:30:31 PM »
Rec tec has a better controller.

and heavy duty stainless steel in all the right places.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline slothritis

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 04:29:42 PM »
Gotta be honest.... I'm looking at the 2016 pro series 22 by traeger and the rec tec mini and I'm not sure if I can tell the difference. In fact, the traeger has more space than the rec tec mini, and its still big enough for my porch. Traeger seemed to updated their thermometer on the 2016 models. Anyways....I'm still thinking about it.

Offline tailfeathers

• To blessed to be distressed!
pellet grill help
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 05:05:27 PM »
I would strongly recommend that you compare the materials and workmanship on each. I have a RecTec and have looked at Traegers and there is really no comparison. The Traeger looks like it's made of tinfoil compared to the RecTec

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bradley 6 rack digital w/ 900w mod
auber pid
Rec Tec 680
Ducane gasser
weber kettles
Anova precision SV
Kitchenaide mixer/chef's choice grinder
LEM stuffer
Vacmaster VP112 chamber sealer
A-maze-n Qmatz/tubes
Cabela's 10" slicer
Cook-Air grill
Cabela's 80L dehydrator

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 05:15:10 PM »
Just to add a thought, Tomcrete1 has a lot of cooks on his and other than a hot rod going down his seems bullet proof.  Yes he has made mods but none that hurts the unit thats for sure.   If I get one I will copy him on the mods cause his does seem to work very well 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2016, 08:14:48 PM »
Just to add a thought, Tomcrete1 has a lot of cooks on his and other than a hot rod going down his seems bullet proof.  Yes he has made mods but none that hurts the unit thats for sure.   If I get one I will copy him on the mods cause his does seem to work very well

What he said!  It truly is a well built unit and I Have averaged about 3 cooks a week on it since I got it in early spring. Some very long cooks 12 hrs plus with no real issues other than a hot rod replacement. The lid has a a built in heat shield that protects the finish and maintains intergrity of the lid without high heat warping. In the end it's your choice we just want you to make the right one. And as always we are all here to help and answer questions.  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline slothritis

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 09:34:17 AM »
What do you all think of the Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boone Pellet Smoker or the grilla grills?

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 09:53:58 AM »
What do you all think of the Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boone Pellet Smoker or the grilla grills?

Construction on par with Treager.  More "features"....but not heavily built.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline slothritis

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2016, 10:00:05 AM »
Thanks everyone for the help! Think I'm gonna go for the rec tec. Got a quick question, I've always wondered how long can you smoke a brisket on the lowest temp?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 12:42:20 PM by slothritis »

Offline slothritis

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2016, 01:26:08 PM »

What he said!  It truly is a well built unit and I Have averaged about 3 cooks a week on it since I got it in early spring. Some very long cooks 12 hrs plus with no real issues other than a hot rod replacement. The lid has a a built in heat shield that protects the finish and maintains intergrity of the lid without high heat warping. In the end it's your choice we just want you to make the right one. And as always we are all here to help and answer questions.  :)
saw your videos with the pit barrel, got me interested. Would you recommend that over the rec tec?

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2016, 05:14:29 PM »

saw your videos with the pit barrel, got me interested. Would you recommend that over the rec tec?

That would be a hard decision! As far as versatility is concerned I would probably stay with the Rec Tec. But that in no way disqualifies the PBC. I still contend that some of the best ribs I've ever done has come off the PBC. My opinion is that the pellet grill has more options available to cook, if I could only have one of the two I would take the Rec Tec. But the best option would be to have Both!  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline slothritis

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2016, 05:59:19 PM »

That would be a hard decision! As far as versatility is concerned I would probably stay with the Rec Tec. But that in no way disqualifies the PBC. I still contend that some of the best ribs I've ever done has come off the PBC. My opinion is that the pellet grill has more options available to cook, if I could only have one of the two I would take the Rec Tec. But the best option would be to have Both!  :)

Think I'm going with the rec tec. I like the simplicity and having the option of controlling the temp.

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2016, 08:22:08 PM »

Think I'm going with the rec tec. I like the simplicity and having the option of controlling the temp.

Good call, we'll be here to answer any questions
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline tailfeathers

• To blessed to be distressed!
pellet grill help
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2016, 10:48:28 PM »
Thanks everyone for the help! Think I'm gonna go for the rec tec. Got a quick question, I've always wondered how long can you smoke a brisket on the lowest temp?
I smoke briskets (and butts) at very low temps (205F) for 20 or more hours. Butts in particular will pass the fork test at a much lower temp when cooked at a low temp. I've had them done at 180-185 rather than the more typical 200-205 when cooked this way. I like to put them on in the evening and set my maverick alarms to monitor meat and cooker temps. That way I get to sleep through the stall instead of fretting about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bradley 6 rack digital w/ 900w mod
auber pid
Rec Tec 680
Ducane gasser
weber kettles
Anova precision SV
Kitchenaide mixer/chef's choice grinder
LEM stuffer
Vacmaster VP112 chamber sealer
A-maze-n Qmatz/tubes
Cabela's 10" slicer
Cook-Air grill
Cabela's 80L dehydrator

Offline slothritis

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2016, 01:51:31 PM »
Do you think the rec tec mini is big enough to make beer can chicken?

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2016, 02:19:03 PM »
Do you think the rec tec mini is big enough to make beer can chicken?

I have never tried it, I think it might be a bit tight on height depending on the size of the bird. Some have removed the grate and grease tray and then lined the bottom with tin foil. That would give it enough clearance. Might actually try that this weekend! Thanks for the idea!  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL