Author Topic: Grabbed an Akorn.  (Read 3148 times)

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Re: Grabbed an Akorn.
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 11:37:34 PM »
Unless you have already got the chargriller stone don't buy it!
Call me .
I'm not a great typest and sometimes talking is easier!

Maybe you could let the rest of us know what's wrong with the chargriller stone?
Nothing wrong with the stone, however for less money you can buy a Weber 22 in replacement charcoal grate & a 14 in cast iron griddle or 14 in pizza cast iron "stone "
The grate is also useful for grilling close to the fire & the stone can be used as a griddle
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2016, 07:27:43 AM »
I just hope you bought the Cardinal Red one...I hear like the football & baseball teams it is the best cooker ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
And, let me guess.......he needs a RED Thermapen too because they are the fastest? LOL

As for burning straight up briquettes in the Akorn, that's something I wouldn't make a habit out of. Lump is your friend in a Kamado. WAY less ash, burns for longer and more evenly allowing consistent temps. I don't have an Akorn but I do have 3 Kegs, so I do know about Kamados just a little ;) :)
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2016, 10:45:49 AM »
Well, Walmart carries the red ones and they must be popular. The 4 in stock plus the floor model were black. So black it is. I agree on the lump in any Kamado. I just have so much Kingsford at the moment. I do have a bag of Cowboy Southern lump which I really like. The Akorn seems like such a fuel miser, I probably should get a couple more bags. Lowes stocks lump so I have a close by source.

Don't have a thermapen yet, but if I did, I would want the fastest  ;D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2016, 10:55:53 AM »
Forgot to mention, I have had two Akorn stones shipped to the house and the boxes were thrashed and of course broken stones inside. I spent some time in customer service and they are having stones shipped to the store. I informed them that the Akorn really needs to have this stone and they are going to stock them. I also get the pick of the litter when they first come in so I can bring home an unbroken one. Also getting a discount on it for all my hassle.  :)

From what I have seen from the stones, they seem to be really thick and heavy. I have kept the Akorn at 290 without the stone so I betcha that is the deal maker right there..........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2016, 12:04:22 PM »
Forgot to mention, I have had two Akorn stones shipped to the house and the boxes were thrashed and of course broken stones inside. I spent some time in customer service and they are having stones shipped to the store. I informed them that the Akorn really needs to have this stone and they are going to stock them. I also get the pick of the litter when they first come in so I can bring home an unbroken one. Also getting a discount on it for all my hassle.  :)

From what I have seen from the stones, they seem to be really thick and heavy. I have kept the Akorn at 290 without the stone so I betcha that is the deal maker right there..........

Are people on here breaking your stones again?......just terrible
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2016, 12:06:13 PM »
I just hope you bought the Cardinal Red one...I hear like the football & baseball teams it is the best cooker ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
And, let me guess.......he needs a RED Thermapen too because they are the fastest? LOL

As for burning straight up briquettes in the Akorn, that's something I wouldn't make a habit out of. Lump is your friend in a Kamado. WAY less ash, burns for longer and more evenly allowing consistent temps. I don't have an Akorn but I do have 3 Kegs, so I do know about Kamados just a little ;) :)

No RG in this case it is a tie with the Jet Green one...Go Jets....Go Cardinals ;) ;) ;) ;D
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill