Author Topic: Rec Tec or Blazin Grill works?  (Read 10738 times)

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
Rec Tec or Blazin Grill works?
« Reply #-1 on: August 29, 2016, 09:31:11 PM »
So' I've been king at new cookers and think I'm going to go with a pellet pooper. I have been leaning towards the Blazin grills grand slam and talked to Tim this morning. Love that you actually talk to the owner directly and he was very nice. Was quoted $1436 shipped out to Cali. Says right now he's throwing in the lid insulation kit for free as he feels the unit just performs better with it and a bag of pellets of my choice. Told him I would sleep on it and get back. I do need a new cooker in about 5 weeks for something I have coming up but he said shouldn't be a problem so long as I don't waffle for too long!

Then for kicks I went to Rec Tec as I haven't really looked at them. Well the have the RT-680 on sale right now for $998. Puts it about $1200 shipped out here. Haven't inquired about lead time but don't think it should be an issue. Now, It's a bigger grill and a couple hundred less. But, I really don't care for the horn handles and not hot on red. I know, vain complaints. It also doesn't come with a shelf or second rack so those would be an extra $160 so we are now about $1360, so actually only about $75 less all said.

So, what would you do if you were in this situation? Anyone use both grills that can give feedback? It seems everyone seems to love both units that have one and talk about em here. I really like the double wall construction on the grand slam, if for nothing more than the life of the finish on the grill. Firm believer that more insulation is never really a bad thing either even though I don't live in a cold climate. Also just found that a local patio store carries Memphis grills and stopped by today. Thier lower end unit is about $1400(can't remember the model right off my head) and they had a higher end model but was $3400! Haven't researched them yet. The more I research the more unsure I become!
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Rec Tec or Blazin Grill works?
« on: August 29, 2016, 09:58:51 PM »
There is no such thing as a "low end" Memphis Grill. They are quality through and through.

I product tested a Rec Tec around three years ago and it is a solid performer.

Many here love their Recs and many here love their Blazin's

You won't go wrong with either of them........but research Memphis Grills a bit before you go for your gun  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 10:00:22 PM »
Can't go wrong either way.  The Rec Tec does have a better warranty if that is important to you.  I own a 680 and wouldnt trade it but that's me.  Highonsmoke owns a Blazin Grill so he would really know more about that grill than me
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 10:02:01 PM »
I think you have 3 good choices in the ones you named. But - I highly recommend that you also include the MAK 1 Star in your research. It - like the Memphis and the Blazin' are made here in the USA - if that matters to you....

But MAK will not even buy a screw form China. And - the controller they offer is the most capable available. 3 meat probe ports. WiFi capable - so you can manage a cook from anywhere in the world that you have internet. And the list of accessories from MAK is credible. Check them out. I think they are in the price range - and they are in Dallas Oregon...Your time zone ;) ;D.
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 11:54:12 PM »
I had looked at MAK briefly at one point, but must have had the 2 star price stuck in my head! 1 star isn't too much more than what I'm looking at and I do know they are the top dog. Still a bit more than what I really have but may be an option. I have been on more of an American made kick lately and feel it's as important as ever to support American made products and companies. Getting tired of cheap crap that's disposable and if we can get back to truly making quality products I think it needs to be supported. Great! more to look at and think about!
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 01:04:27 AM »
I will double what Tee said.  As a happy MAK 1 Star owner I can attest to the quality of both their grills and their customer support,which is second to none! 

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline rwalters

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 01:46:51 AM »
Out of the options that you have on the table, I am only familiar with what I have...a MAK 1 Star.  I absolutely love my 1 Star!  With that said, will this be your only cooker? What type(s) of cooking do you plan on using a pellet pooper for? Low n slow only? Or do you plan on using it for grilling too?
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Hub

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 08:37:53 AM »
The Rec Tec and the Memphis have the same very high quality controller, arguably the most important single component of a pellet cooker.  The Memphis line are all insulated with the amount going up with the model price.  Memphis is made in USA.  Rec Tec is a hybrid of sorts.  Both are very good and will produce great chow if you learn how to use them.

To help you learn and to perhaps help you figure out what is most important to you concerning a pellet cooker:

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=2641.0
http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=2647.0

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 09:35:27 AM »
To add a little to what Hub said about the controllers. The Blazn Grill Works also uses the same controller. I own the larger one the Grid Iron. It is American made and
I totally love it.  But, if something ever happens to it I will be buying a Mak.  I also did a review of the Grid Iron here. I debated on whether or not to buy it or the Grand Slam. I opted for the extra space of the Grid Iron.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 10:45:01 AM »
I will double what Tee said.  As a happy MAK 1 Star owner I can attest to the quality of both their grills and their customer support,which is second to none!
X2
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 10:49:41 AM »
I own a Memphis and wouldn't trade it for anything. They are insulated(double wall) and made from high quality stainless steel. The Memphis has one of the lowest pellet consumption ratings of any pellet grill. That means that using less pellets per cook saves you money. The more expensive pellets cost you the more you save.

Mine has a temp range of 150F to 600F so it can go low and slow or grill like a champ. The insulation helps it hit grilling temps with ease!

There is a short throw auger and a front loading hopper. The igniter is not located in the firepot. It is just outside of the firepot so it is not exposed as directly to soot and ash as other grills. Also I have never had a burn back through my auger because the pellets are ejected and slide down into the burn pot  from a chute. The multi speed fan blows air into the burn pot  directly. At lower temps the fire is bellowed occasionally to regulate temps, stimulate smoke, and reduce pellet consumption greatly while keeping temps with a degree or two. Crank her up and that fan wakes up the flame and the short throw auger dumps pellets like a champ for grilling temps.

The new models are coming out this year with totally new controllers that have several probes built-in and wifi control.

And they are made in Minnesota. Just putting mine together when I bought it I was amazed at how well they are made. And they are just a beautiful looking grill... Well if your into that :P

To me a Memphis is worth every penny.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 12:49:01 AM »
So after a bunch of thinking, reading, and researching I'm leaning more towards a MAK 1star now. I want a versatile cooker, but am mostly looking to smoke with it and I have seen several comment that the MAK gives the most smoke flavor of the pellet grills that people have used and I do like smoke flavor! Haven't pulled the trigger just yet but very close.
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 10:07:45 AM »
So after a bunch of thinking, reading, and researching I'm leaning more towards a MAK 1star now. I want a versatile cooker, but am mostly looking to smoke with it and I have seen several comment that the MAK gives the most smoke flavor of the pellet grills that people have used and I do like smoke flavor! Haven't pulled the trigger just yet but very close.
Can't go wrong with a MAK thats for sure
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 12:55:00 PM »

There are other ways to achieve smoke profile - as in the use of an Amazen Smoker Tube ( See our Site Sponsors Section for their info...) BUT....you are correct about eh MAK being a fantastic smoke producer. It is their controller design. And - now with the new ignitor that is not in the firepot - It ignites 2-3 times as fast. Tenthunter posted a video about that....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 01:39:27 PM »
I have not cooked on the Rec Tec but had the same issue you have.  I don't want a red grill with horns on it.  I did buy the Blazin Grand Slam and could not be happier.  My Bro-In-Law and another friend ordered the Grand Slam after seeing mine and both are 100% happy as well.  My favorite feature of the Grand Slam (aside from American made - a must for me)  is the slide-out burn pot - SO nice to be able to clean out the burn pot without removing the racks, drip pan and heat deflector.  It is a heavy grill - built like a tank.  It was the choice for me and I have never looked back.  I do like the controller on the Grand Slam as it has performed perfectly for me and maintains solid steady temps.

The one feature I really like on the MAC that I have not seen elsewhere is the trap door to drain pellets.  I have actually changed pellets more than I thought I would.  I think that would be a solid feature to have as well.

Regardless of what you choose from the options listed - you will be thrilled.  All good choices.   Good luck and enjoy your new pellet grill.
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit