Author Topic: Rec Tec or Blazin Grill works?  (Read 10742 times)

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
Re: Rec Tec or Blazin Grill works?
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 06:04:28 PM »
Just placed my order for the 1 star from big poppa smokers! Sounds like I should see the unit in about 1 1/2 weeks +/-, can't wait! Quick pellet question. Not much selection, only one or 2 places I can find at all in the area that sell pellets. What's your preferred online source? Sounds like people seem to like cooking pellets brand and can get them from Amazon for cheaper than cookingpellets.com.   
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear

Offline Pappymn

Rec Tec or Blazin Grill works?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2016, 06:23:11 PM »
Just placed my order for the 1 star from big poppa smokers! Sounds like I should see the unit in about 1 1/2 weeks +/-, can't wait! Quick pellet question. Not much selection, only one or 2 places I can find at all in the area that sell pellets. What's your preferred online source? Sounds like people seem to like cooking pellets brand and can get them from Amazon for cheaper than cookingpellets.com.
Try Craigs list for pellets. You may have some luck
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2016, 06:34:40 PM »
 at our site sponsor section....  www.cookinpellets.com
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2016, 06:40:37 PM »
at our site sponsor section....  www.cookinpellets.com

There you go  8)     Now get a bunch of perfect mix.......great pellets mix for all protiens  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2016, 07:55:29 PM »
Perfect! Thinking I will grab one each of the perfect mix, hickory and probably and oak as that's what I'm used to BBQ'n with and know and enjoy the flavor.

Now I need to stash away some $ for some accessories! Thinking at least the 3/4 upper grate.....griddle would be nice......sear station.....oh boy, I'm in trouble!
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2016, 08:06:34 PM »
Perfect! Thinking I will grab one each of the perfect mix, hickory and probably and oak as that's what I'm used to BBQ'n with and know and enjoy the flavor.

Now I need to stash away some $ for some accessories! Thinking at least the 3/4 upper grate.....griddle would be nice......sear station.....oh boy, I'm in trouble!

The great thing about this site is that it gives you somebody else to blame it on! So go ahead I'll take the blame! Just call it BBQ per pressure !  :D
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Pappymn

Rec Tec or Blazin Grill works?
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2016, 09:01:28 PM »

I'd go with the upper grate first. Not even a close decision for me.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2016, 09:34:03 PM »

[/quote]

The great thing about this site is that it gives you somebody else to blame it on! So go ahead I'll take the blame! Just call it BBQ per pressure !  :D
[/quote]

Wouldn't say you guys are a bad influence, I already had the desire. Rather, everyone was more of an informative consultant. I need no scapegoat, when I get into something I go for it. Problem is getting to be too many hobbies. Wanted to buy quality and American make and just happened to get a few side cash deals that put me into a higher spending bracket than when I started my search so decided to go for it and buy the best perceived quality up front expecting to get a better return on my investment with longevity. Time will tell.
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2016, 09:38:19 PM »

[/quote]
I'd go with the upper grate first. Not even a close decision for me.
[/quote]

Which grate(s) do you you have and would you change your choice? They all have a place but aren't cheap for what they are. The 3/4 seems like the best of all three with just a little sacrifice on area. Will have to use it for a bit and get the feel for what works best for me. I just always like hearing others experiences and feelings.
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2016, 09:47:36 PM »
Congrats on the grill.   Your gonna like it I'm sure
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Mobile Hermit

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2016, 10:55:20 PM »
Just received my rec tec. Will be two weeks tomorrow.  Also live in California.  I ordered it on a Saturday,  was shipped the following Monday.  Took 8 business days to reach town then another 2 days for freight company to deliver it.  Arrived in perfect condition.  Freight company wheeled it into the back yard for me. Easy to put together but you'll want an extra set of hands  as its a beast. After the initial burn in, I seasoned it with a pound of bacon, drizzled real maple syrup over the bacon, then used the screaming pig rub for seasoning. Made excellent BLT''s. Have always used a side smoker in the past and thought I made pretty darned good ribs but the rec tec ribs were amazing. Perfectly smoked in my opinion. This past Sunday morning I  got up at 3am and started a pork butt.  11 hours later had perfect pulled pork sandwiches.  Only been two weeks now but I'm very impessed with the 680. 

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2016, 01:43:55 AM »
Just placed my order for the 1 star from big poppa smokers! Sounds like I should see the unit in about 1 1/2 weeks +/-, can't wait! Quick pellet question. Not much selection, only one or 2 places I can find at all in the area that sell pellets. What's your preferred online source?

Cool!  You could not have picked a better dealer.  The folks over at BPS are top notch to deal with!

When you get a few more pennies saved up, definitely get the  MAK Griddle.  You'll find it handy for all sorts of food from grilling sandwiches, fajitas, cooking up some hotdog chili, etc.  You can even do some shallow frying in it (but keep the pit temp to around 350° or so).

Keep an eye on Amazon for the Cooking Pellets brand, especially if you have a prime account.  Every now and then they will run a special on them that's hard to beat! That's where i get my perfect mix.

Your best bet, price wise, is to get some guys together in your area and do a bulk order of Lumberjack pellets.  They just started selling directly to the public too, so you no longer have to be a dealer to buy from them!

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68