Author Topic: Wings 3 ways on the Keg  (Read 2985 times)

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
Wings 3 ways on the Keg
« Reply #-1 on: September 04, 2016, 09:36:25 AM »
Did the chicken wings, three different rubs.  Each with a distinct flavor.  The Black & Bleu with the distinct bleu cheese flavor, the Rasta with its Jamaican Jerk flavor of the islands, and the Oakridge crucible ghost pepper sweet heat.  I think I liked the Oakridge the best.  Salted the wings and let hang out in the open air in the fridge for 18 hours, really helps with the crispy skin.  Low & slow direct at 250* for a couple of hours, then a steady rise to lid open flaming for the finish.  I had the bottom vent closed for most of the cook and used the top vent to control the temp, having it more open helped with letting the steam to escape and a crispy skin.  The Moore's blue cheese buffalo combined with some Tropical Pepper Co. habanero compliment all three rubs.

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Wings 3 ways on the Keg
« on: September 04, 2016, 09:55:55 AM »
Those wings look great. Oakridge sure makes some good rubs.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 10:09:49 AM »
I'll take a half a dozen please! Looks great!
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 08:25:44 PM »
Bama, you're killing lately with the Keg! Nice job sir!!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline junep

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 04:19:51 PM »
They look great! I just ordered a package of that Oakridge BBQ rub. That is pricy stuff! I like hot, but figure if it's too hot I can always tone it down by mixing it with another rub. I've never heard of Ghost chiles, so curiosity got the best of me. I figure 6 oz of some wines cost that much and this will go a lot further the 6 oz of wine! LOL

Did the chicken wings, three different rubs.  Each with a distinct flavor.  The Black & Bleu with the distinct bleu cheese flavor, the Rasta with its Jamaican Jerk flavor of the islands, and the Oakridge crucible ghost pepper sweet heat.  I think I liked the Oakridge the best.  Salted the wings and let hang out in the open air in the fridge for 18 hours, really helps with the crispy skin.  Low & slow direct at 250* for a couple of hours, then a steady rise to lid open flaming for the finish.  I had the bottom vent closed for most of the cook and used the top vent to control the temp, having it more open helped with letting the steam to escape and a crispy skin.  The Moore's blue cheese buffalo combined with some Tropical Pepper Co. habanero compliment all three rubs.

Conformity is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 05:19:03 PM »
Those are some pretty wings!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline bamabob

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 07:02:04 PM »
They look great! I just ordered a package of that Oakridge BBQ rub. That is pricy stuff! I like hot, but figure if it's too hot I can always tone it down by mixing it with another rub. I've never heard of Ghost chiles, so curiosity got the best of me. I figure 6 oz of some wines cost that much and this will go a lot further the 6 oz of wine! LOL

Can't go wrong with Oakridge rubs, I've tried a few and all were excellent.  A little goes a long way with quality rubs.
The Crucible Ghost Pepper Rub wasn't nearly as hot as i thought it would be.  A very good flavor with a sweet heat. 
Hot yes, I love hot spices, but I don't think it will be intolerable for those that don't enjoy spicy flavors.

Looking forward to your feedback when you try it Junep!!

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline junep

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 02:30:07 AM »
Will do. If they're too hot, I make a killer margarita to ease the pain! It will be a while before I get around to doing them, since I need to use up some of the meats in my two fridge freezers. Among them is a big bag of Foster Farms or similar chicken wings that are already sauced, I think; and if so, they probably wouldn't work well in the my new Big Easy. 
I just read a recipe on Pinterest for wings that suggested placing the cleaned, dried, uncovered wings on a rack, over a cookie sheet, in the fridge for up to 3 hrs which helps to dry the skin for crispier wings, so I think I'll try that as well as this new rub.   

Offline bamabob

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 08:25:09 AM »
That's what I did with the wings above Junep.  I salted them and put them on a wire rack over a cookie sheet covered with paper towels.  Uncovered in the fridge for 18 hours.  It really does help with the skin.  The skin on these was very good, not rubbery at all.

The ghost chili rub is very good on shrimp also.  A margarita should be mandatory, too hot or not.   :P

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline junep

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 11:53:02 AM »
Thanks for the salting idea. I'm writing your instructions down and adding them to my BBQ folder! If that rub goes good with the shrimp, I might try it with fish fillets too.

Margaritas also go great with pizza! :-)

That's what I did with the wings above Junep.  I salted them and put them on a wire rack over a cookie sheet covered with paper towels.  Uncovered in the fridge for 18 hours.  It really does help with the skin.  The skin on these was very good, not rubbery at all.

The ghost chili rub is very good on shrimp also.  A margarita should be mandatory, too hot or not.   :P

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 11:56:56 AM »
Great tip !!  I will be giving that at try.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline bamabob

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 06:15:43 PM »
Salting and leaving the wings uncovered in the fridge overnight really does help.  A low & slow render and a finish high heat crisp up should give the results you're looking for.
I smoke on a kamado so keeping the top vent wide open as long as possible to allow moisture to escape helps also.  I used it to control the temp with the bottom vent almost closed off.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 06:54:07 PM by bamabob »

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 06:52:31 PM »
We're doing wings tomorrow for our guests, I think we'll do the old fridge trick on them. If they come out looking like yours did, I'll be happy!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!