Author Topic: How I installed my Tip Top Temp on an Akorn  (Read 2386 times)

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

How I installed my Tip Top Temp on an Akorn
« Reply #-1 on: September 20, 2016, 10:56:05 AM »
I got 2 one foot pieces of banding metal at the lumberyard for free. Put a little bend in the bottom that will go under the lip of the Akorn vent. One for each side.

Put a mark where you have to bend the top to hold it down. Try to make it tight.
Drill a hole thru both metals to put screws in. It's hollow under there.

Close the Akorn vent and align the Tip Top at 5 o'clock standing in front of the Akorn.

Put the screws in. Now when you open the Akorn vent the dial should be facing right at you.
That way you know it is open without have to put your hand over it.
Now pull the silicone band over the Akorn vent as best you can. Should be no leaks.

When your cook is finished just close the Akorn vent to snuff out the charcoal. After a year just remove the screws and clean up the Tip Top and your good for another year. Personally I think this looks better than using the plate hanger trick.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Re: How I installed my Tip Top Temp on an Akorn
« on: September 20, 2016, 10:58:00 AM »
Thanks!
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 12:37:15 PM »
Go to wally in the hardware section and get one of them spring plate hangers, easy to take on and off w/out drilling holes. User friendly. I used one for mine.

Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 12:38:31 PM »
Both are great ideas,   :D
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 10:13:38 AM »
Okay, sir, I got a T T T for Christmas.  It works great on the Kettle.  Now I'm ready to use it on the Akorn.  I have the plate hanger thingy, so I'm ready to go.
Will you take me thru the process of using this with the Akorn?  How are the top and bottom vents set?
The main thing is to keep the temp from getting out of control at start up I guess.

B T W, you and I are the same age.  Ain't it great to have a hobby like this?
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 03:25:36 PM »
Hi Jaxon:
  To cook a pork butt at about 250 degrees. I usually put 2 snakes of lump charcoal side by side and one more on top, so it's like a triangle snake of charcoal. Fully open bottom vent. Light one end of charcoal. TTT vent open straight up and down. When temp gets to 230 I close the bottom vent fully and also the TTT. By the time the oxygen gets used up it will be at 250 and the TTT will start to open. Now it is just a minor adjustment up or down on the TTT to zone it in to 230-250. Depending on the charcoal quality sometimes you will have to open the bottom vent very slightly but not too often. If I use the same charcoal all the time, then I can set it fairly quickly.  It's easier to bring it up to temp than back down. That's why I close the TTT before it reaches 250.
  Remember to close the big Akorn vent at the end of cooking to save your left over charcoal. Hope this helps.

Fred
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred