General > Competition Related Information

Pellet Smoker/Grill Competitions in or near Florida?

(1/2) > >>

BlackC5:
Are there events for Pellet BBQ competitions across the country and if so, are there any in the Florida area?  I have Googled BBQ events and am going to one in November, here in the Jacksonville area.  I have so far been unable to find out if pellet smokers are entered along with the more traditional smoker units.  Just wondering if it was possible to see some of the pellet grills on our forum in use.  Thanks

GusRobin:
KCBS allows pellet grills as long as the pellets are the main cooking fuel and you only use electric to feed the pellets. So any KCBS competition, pro or backyard should allow your entry.

BlackC5:
Thanks Gus!  I will Google info about KCBS events and I need to clarify.  I am going to the BBQ competition in my area in November ... as a spectator LOL!  I am hoping to see a Pellet smoker grill in action.  Heck, I am just hoping I won't burn food in cooks on the pellet smoker I finally do get.  I will be very happy if I can cook ribs, chicken wings, turkey, salmon, pulled pork or a brisket that tastes good.  I am going to order my pellet grill choice after I attend the Local BBQ event in November, whether I see one in use or not.  I definitely know I want one.

Hub:
I compete using pellet cookers and you see quite a few of them.  If you are accustomed to charcoal or a stick burner you're going to need some education and some adaptation of your approaches.

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=2641.0
http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=2647.0

When you go to the competition you'll find most of the competitors very friendly and open.  Do not question the cooks from about 10:00 AM until 1:30 PM on Saturday, however -- this is the most pressured time, getting ready for the turn-ins.  Before or after should be fine.

Hub

BlackC5:
Thanks Hub, for having written those articles.  I read them both and am still in the market for a pellet smoker

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version