Outdoor Cooking Equipment > Gas Smokers

Ole Hickory CTO and Ace (BP/MM)

(1/3) > >>

scoobydufus:

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a smoker that is both hands off and can turn out a mess of food at once.   I came across a video review of the Ole Hickory CTO (wood ignited by gas) and two slightly scaled down units that are similar but are charcoal only.  My understanding is the CTO is big with the competitive cooks, but I didn't find much written out there about them.  Do any of you have them and if so,  can you give me the lowdown?  (Pros, cons, how hard it is to maintain)   It looks like they've got a gas-fed flame igniting a log of wood and then using fans to regulate air flow/temp.  Is it as good as it sounds?

smokeasaurus:
Big Poppa Smokers has a nice Ole Hickory unit with rotisserie. A bunch of restaurants use Ole Hickory pits. Dickies does, they will let you back in the kitchen to see it.

scoobydufus:
Thanks for the info.   I really like the process of working with wood/fire to smoke food and this unit feels like a cheat.  However there's something to be said for a fire and forget solution when you've got a mess of people coming over.  Having the wife interested in a new smoker is kind of cool as well.  I just want to make sure whatever I buy works on both the volume and quality/consistency front or I'll never hear the end of it.   :)

Thx,
Scoob.

Hub:
FEC 100 and 125 pellet cookers are also frequently encountered in competition.

Hub

scoobydufus:
Hi,

I was looking at the FEC-100 as well.   The FEC looks like it has less maintenance and is easier to clean up than the CTO.  The only reason I'm hesitant is that everyone tells me that pellet smokers don't lay on enough smoke flavor.   Have you ever used one?   What's your take?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version