Author Topic: My kitchen and new glass top range  (Read 22338 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
My kitchen and new glass top range
« Reply #-1 on: October 22, 2016, 09:58:28 PM »
Oct 22 2016

I have never been anywhere to have a gas range so I am only knowledgeable with electric ranges. I have been cooking for over 40 years now. My early ranges were the ones with the coil elements and remember the drip pans under the burners were a pain to keep clean.

18 years ago I got my first glass top stove, an Amana, and it had a convection oven. It came with Cerama Bryte cleaner and it worked well. I have used cast iron and carbon steel on it for at least 10 years. The glass top still looked like new and our son and wife took it when I just got my new stove.

Six years ago I needed a new fridge and liked Whirlpool products. I found one at Lowes that was a side by side and had water and ice in the door. The ice bucket and dispenser were in the door and gave more room in the freezer. The wife wanted black but I said I want stainless steel and I won that one! Well I never lived down my choice! Within 6 months the removable ice bucket would freeze fast and it leaked water down the front of the door.

To make it short I argued with Whirlpool service reps for over 3 months trying to get them to replace the fridge with a different model. They lied to me saying no one else was having problems. A factory service guy was here about 4 times and said everyone was having problems with the indoor ice makers. He finally replaced the whole freezer door but the leaking has persisted. Whirlpool never researched how to get rid of the water created during the defrost cycle. I am done with Whirlpool!

I saw where Lowes was having 10 to 30% off on all appliances. I was tired of looking at my bad choice fridge. My beer fridge in the garage was 28 years old and seemed to be running a lot. I told the wife let’s get a new fridge and move my choice to the garage! I picked out one, a Frigidaire, and got the wife’s input too and it was black.

Before it came our son said they would like to have our old stove. I was thinking of getting a new one in the spring. I thought while the good sale was on I’d just get one now. I looked at Frigidaire and GE; the GE won out since it had the bottom oven element under the metal. That will make for a lot easier cleaning. It has 5 burners, 2 large ones in the front that are adjustable from large to small, 3 small ones in the back and the middle one is a warmer.

As far as glass tops go I have found they are pretty easy to keep clean. The main thing is you have to put the pots and pans on and let set while cooking; you cannot move them around or you will end up scratching them. For normal cleaning just wipe with a soapy wash cloth and then spray on Windex Complete and wipe with paper towels. For any stubborn spots use a razor blade scraper. Every so often use the Cerama Bryte cleaner on it.

Most manufacturers do not recommend using cast iron on the glass tops but I have used cast iron and carbon steel on my old glass top for at least 10 years and it had no scratches from them. It was a Ceran glass top. There are several makers of the glass tops but I can find no info on who makes them for the different ranges.

My kitchen is pretty small and at times I have envied some nice setups with a lot of room and a middle island for food prep. I do not like anyone else in my kitchen when cooking and when I think of it is ideal for me. About anything I need is just two steps away. My dish washer and above the stove microwave I got last year and are GE. My appliances should outlast me!

My 6 yr old Whirlpool leaker

My old Amana glass top

My 28 yr old fridge is gone

My new GE glass top

My expensive beer cooler!

Smokin Don

« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 11:09:51 PM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline tomcrete1

Re: My kitchen and new glass top range
« on: October 22, 2016, 10:12:38 PM »
Love it!  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 01:13:45 PM »
Nice Kitchen Don! We got a new GE stove top this year & like it but it just has 4 burners.

It has a griddle burner where you can put a griddle on & it heats the whole area. Front to back
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 02:59:18 PM »
Looks like a very comfortable feel at home kitchen.  Nice. :)
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline Pappymn

My kitchen and new glass top range
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 05:54:24 PM »
Appliances too often are a crap shoot. They are getting so complex, things are bound to fail. I have 12 year old appliances, and so far no problems. I feel lucky. You will save money getting rid of your beer fridge
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 06:22:52 PM »
Appliances too often are a crap shoot. They are getting so complex, things are bound to fail. I have 12 year old appliances, and so far no problems. I feel lucky. You will save money getting rid of your beer fridge
Gotta have my beer fridge Pappy!!! :) I do use it for other things and nice to have the extra freezer. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 11:05:25 PM »
Nice set up. Your beer fridge can also hold seasoned meat for queing to keep your other fridge from being to overloaded  :thumbup:
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 12:31:09 AM »
You were a good Cowboy Don. You were home on the range ;) ;) ;) ;)
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline RAD

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 04:46:25 PM »
Thanks for the write-up Don. I have a glass top and have been using CI on it but I worry about it cracking but after reading your post I'm not as concerned. I have had my Samsung appliances for about five years now and my extended warranty is about to expire.  Dishwasher - two repairs, Microwave - two repairs, Stove - one repair. Fridge/ice maker? Fridge replaced once after three visits, since than there have been at least two or three more visits by repairmen. In fact, I currently have a repair in the works because now the the ice maker will not crush ice. It goes on and on and on. I don't like making bad reviews about manufactures but come on, really? These things are not cheap.
Love to cook and eat

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 06:36:37 PM »
Great looking set up, Don!   I thought your old stove was the new one, it looked so nice!!  And yes, gotta have the beer fridge.  :)
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 07:11:02 PM »
Thanks for the write-up Don. I have a glass top and have been using CI on it but I worry about it cracking but after reading your post I'm not as concerned. I have had my Samsung appliances for about five years now and my extended warranty is about to expire.  Dishwasher - two repairs, Microwave - two repairs, Stove - one repair. Fridge/ice maker? Fridge replaced once after three visits, since than there have been at least two or three more visits by repairmen. In fact, I currently have a repair in the works because now the the ice maker will not crush ice. It goes on and on and on. I don't like making bad reviews about manufactures but come on, really? These things are not cheap.
Yea know what you mean Rad, My beer fridge was $1400 but I got a good price on it but still too much to move to the garage after 6 yrs. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 08:40:57 PM »
I think me beer fridge cost $330.00 from Costco Just a simple one that is in the garage. Freezer on top & Fridge below...sure comes in handy
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline skidog

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 10:24:27 PM »
My beer fridge is a mid 30"s or 40"s International Harvester. Traded my neighbor a crappy window air conditioner for it 16 years ago when I moved in to my home. Still running fine in the garage. Don't make them like they used to!
1985 Weber Genesis
SRG
Cook-Air
BS 28in griddle
Kingsford 22in charcoal grill
Anova
Cuisinart griddler
IP 6qt
GMG DC

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 08:48:06 AM »
My beer fridge is a mid 30"s or 40"s International Harvester. Traded my neighbor a crappy window air conditioner for it 16 years ago when I moved in to my home. Still running fine in the garage. Don't make them like they used to!

Love to see a Pic of IH Fridge!  Didnt know they mage them.  Would be cool if it was IH Red! :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 09:13:07 AM »

Don a few of us will help you empty it if you need the help ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill