Author Topic: recovering Traeger owner  (Read 1751 times)

Offline rmueller95

recovering Traeger owner
« Reply #-1 on: October 30, 2016, 10:24:19 PM »
Hi guys, My first experience to the pellet grill world was not long ago with a Traeger Elite. Unfortunately our short 3 month relationship was quite dysfunctional. After 3 controllers replaced in 3 months, I spent more time awaiting new parts than I did grilling. It was quite the lemon and a frustrating experience. Obviously I'd like to avoid that experience moving forward.

With that said, I've got my sites on either a Green Mountain Danielle Boone or a Camp Chef Smoke Pro DLX (both less than $700). I'm leaning towards the Camp Chef but the 1 year warranty bugs me. Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: recovering Traeger owner
« on: October 30, 2016, 10:34:09 PM »
For the price Rec Tec is hard to beat.  Six year warranty on the 680 model is one of the best out there

I know it's a little higher price then you want to spend but it's well worth every cent
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 10:40:53 PM »
Welcome!

Do you want advice toward a really good, solid, dependable  pellet grill, or a cheap one? Not being a smart alec - but trying to be honest, and save you further frustration. Frustration = money and lost time.

Stick to quality brands.... And when I say that I mean MAK, Memphis, Rec Tec,  Blazin' Iron Works, and perhaps a couple of others I am overlooking here.

Plan on spending around $1000 or more if possible in order to get get something that is make of heavier metal than the ones you mentioned, have really dependable controllers- and have a much longer warranty - and most importantly... one that has a reputation of great customer support.

Look, ANY pellet grill out there will usually..."work".... But you have experienced the "trying to save a dollar blues" ;) :D. I am a founding member of that fraternity ;D. BUT - it just does not pay to try and go cheap - and expect reliability, and quality support. Companies cannot make it work - and make a profit.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 09:24:25 AM »
The Rec Tec at a grand with same as cash financing still available is a great way to own a quality pellet grill.

I did a full review on Camp Chef when their model came out 4 years ago. It is a solid performer but sits squarely in the Traeger/Green Mountain/Pit Boss camp.

The Rec Tec has stainless steel in all the right places. Large capacity. Great controller. 40 lb rear hopper with a short throw auger......and it just looks good with those big old stainless bull horns.

If money is no object and you only want to cry once, buy a Mak and have it for life................heck a Mak one star is "only" 600 more than a Rec Tec but you are getting the best pellet grill in the industry..............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 06:26:05 PM »
Welcome, sorry about your bad luck with the Traeger, I did a lot of research before pulling the trigger on the Rec Tec mini and I don't regret it. Have known someone who bought the the Green Mountian and after a couple months and several replacement controllers he sold it and replaced with the Rec Tec and loves it. You'll get a lot of good advice here  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 12:14:24 AM »
I just recently ventured into the pellet grill world and started my research. When the dust settled I wound up with a MAK 1 star for a few reasons and have to say that I couldn't be happier! Not only with the quality and the customer service I have received thus far, but the food has actually been better than I anticipated!
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear

Offline Pappymn

recovering Traeger owner
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 12:18:50 PM »
I just recently ventured into the pellet grill world and started my research. When the dust settled I wound up with a MAK 1 star for a few reasons and have to say that I couldn't be happier! Not only with the quality and the customer service I have received thus far, but the food has actually been better than I anticipated!
Mak is a great American business. You made a great choice.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Dannio

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 11:56:03 PM »
I'm a noob, and just received my Rec Tec in October. I e-mailed Rec Tec to suggest changing the type of machine screws they used on the grill I received because it was hard to get a bite with a screwdriver to tighten. I got a return e-mail and a voice message the next day! Turns out, they went from hex heads to Philips heads, and were in the process of updating the instructions to put the screw head on the inside of the Grill and the nut on the outside, under the left hand controller shelf. I let him know that will make that part of assembly much easier. So, that's the customer service aspect of the company. The hardware is outstanding! The food that comes off it is great, and the Grill looks fantastic while sitting there doing its thing.

Hope this helps, and good on you for reaching out to get owners' perspectives; it's always better to learn from those who have already walked that path...
Rec Tec RT-680
ThermoPro TP-20 Thermometer
Turbo 4-burner (retired)
Weber Mini-Kettle (lost; I miss it!)