Author Topic: Brisket on rectec  (Read 2313 times)

Offline slothritis

Brisket on rectec
« Reply #-1 on: November 18, 2016, 03:42:44 PM »
Hello all! I have a question. I am planning to make a brisket for a thanksgiving picnic. Its about 12-14lbs. If we are planing to eat lets say at 11am thanksgiving day, when should I start smoking it and for how long and what temp? I assume I'll be starting it the day before. I have a rec tec mini btw.  Thanks.

Offline Roget

Re: Brisket on rectec
« on: November 18, 2016, 04:50:51 PM »
I'm no expert, but the few briskets I have smoked took an average of about 11-14 hours to get to an IT of 185-195.
I cook mine at a low temp. (220-225 F) You might have to adjust if you use a higher cook temp.
I apply 4 hours of smoke to mine.
You can FTC it for quite a while if it gets done early.

I hope that helps you a bit.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline slothritis

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 05:39:05 PM »
I'm no expert, but the few briskets I have smoked took an average of about 11-14 hours to get to an IT of 185-195.
I cook mine at a low temp. (220-225 F) You might have to adjust if you use a higher cook temp.
I apply 4 hours of smoke to mine.
You can FTC it for quite a while if it gets done early.

I hope that helps you a bit.
So if I am serving at 12 noon, what time should I start? I assume the day before, but when?

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 06:31:34 PM »
It will depend on what temperature you plan on cooking it.  I normally cook brisket at 250 to 275. If I was planning on serving it by noon, even at those temperatures, I would start it going no later than 8:00 PM the night before. You can always foil, wrap and towel if it gets done too early. If you do start it for an overnight cook I highly recommend that you use a remote thermometer with an alarm to alert you of the pit temp and the meat temp. The last one I did I used my Maverick ET-732. Next all nighter will be done with the Smoke Thermometer from ThermoWorks.

Even with the Rec Tec I would monitor your pit temp just in case of a "flame out" in the middle of the night.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline slothritis

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 06:37:00 PM »
It will depend on what temperature you plan on cooking it.  I normally cook brisket at 250 to 275. If I was planning on serving it by noon, even at those temperatures, I would start it going no later than 8:00 PM the night before. You can always foil, wrap and towel if it gets done too early. If you do start it for an overnight cook I highly recommend that you use a remote thermometer with an alarm to alert you of the pit temp and the meat temp. The last one I did I used my Maverick ET-732. Next all nighter will be done with the Smoke Thermometer from ThermoWorks.

Even with the Rec Tec I would monitor your pit temp just in case of a "flame out" in the middle of the night.
That's when I was thinking of starting it. Since I have a rec tec should i set the temp to 250 or 275?

Offline hikerman

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 07:23:32 PM »
You've gotten some very good advice already that should help you formulate your plan. I might add tho, that on pellet grills, the lower the grill temp the more smoke profile you will have. Good luck but I'm sure you'll do fine! :thumbup:

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 07:48:04 PM »

that is some good advice Mike.  Went camping and had a big cook planned what I didn't plan on was the flame out that happened :(.   Although I caught it in time it could have been a  disaster
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 08:38:51 PM »

That's when I was thinking of starting it. Since I have a rec tec should i set the temp to 250 or 275?

I would probably set it at 250 and let it gather some heavier smoke. You can always bump up the temperature if needed in the early morning hours.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline slothritis

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 08:44:25 PM »

I would probably set it at 250 and let it gather some heavier smoke. You can always bump up the temperature if needed in the early morning hours.
Thanks! I really appreciate the help. By the way, does flame out happen often on the rec tec?

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 09:23:33 PM »

Thanks! I really appreciate the help. By the way, does flame out happen often on the rec tec?

Really can't help you on that since I don't own the Rec Tec. I have used one quite a lot at our Augusta Gatherings and it didn't happen. I have a Blazn Grill Works Pellet Grill and in the 3 years I have owned it I have not had a flame out. Now the Traeger I owned was a different story.  ;)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 11:26:58 PM »
I have not had a problem with flame out on mine. But, I do vacuum out the belly of it every time I do a long cook.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 08:58:05 AM »
My flame out happened with my Traeger unit not the Rec Tec  it was due to heavy ash left over from the night before.  Normally I clean it but camping and just doing burgers I didn't think it needed it :(. But it did and I learned a BIG lesson that day
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline slothritis

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 10:10:43 AM »
I'll make sure my rec tec is free of ash before I start for sure.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2016, 11:04:21 AM »
I'll make sure my rec tec is free of ash before I start for sure.
My Rec Tec seems to stay cleaner than the Traeger unit I'm thinking the cool down cycle has a lot to do with it.  I heard the newer Traegers have cool down but not sure
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker