Author Topic: Wireless thermomter  (Read 2251 times)

Offline ff13375

Wireless thermomter
« Reply #-1 on: December 30, 2016, 04:04:42 PM »
My wife just got me the Savannah controller  for Christmas  for my Traeger Lil Tex. So now I can use the money I had save for the controller on a new wireless thermometer. Right now I have the maverick 732 but on 3rd probe and has been losing connection. I have narrowed it down to 3 different thermometer and want to see what people  think and if they have them they can way in. It's between the tappecue v2, thermoworks smoke ( wifi being add in spring) and the rocks bar b que stoker power draft system.

Offline tomcrete1

Re: Wireless thermomter
« on: December 30, 2016, 05:44:10 PM »
For me, I'm waiting for the new Thermoworks Smoke.
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 06:19:07 PM »
I own the Maverick 732 and the Smoke. As far as I am concerned there is no comparison, go with the Smoke. I also have gone through many probes with the Maverick and it constantly loses signal and I am not more than 150 feet from my grills or smokers. Though the Rock Stocker is awesome. I believe Savannah Smoker has his hooked up to his Savannah controller. I am sure he will be around soon.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Pappymn

Wireless thermomter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 07:05:28 PM »
You can never go wrong buying anything from Thermoworks. They are really a great company worthy of our business.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 07:25:39 PM »
Tappecue V2.0 = 4 Probes capability and Wi-Fi BBQ Thermometer on sale for $179. Very user friendly

Thermoworks Smoke = 2 probes with different types of probes available.  Uses radio frequency 2.4. $102 with shipping.
Very user friendly.  PS. Mine is on order for when I do not need the Rock's Stoker. 

Rock's Stoker = 6 probes with capability for more, both temperature monitor and temperature control, ability to control more than one pit,
When interface with the Savannah Stoker capability to control pellet Grill temperature anywhere by computer or phone.  Most expensive and with additional probes one can hit $400 easily.  Also for has a large learning curve.   PS. I have been using one for years going back to the non Wi-Fi___33 days.

Picture of Rock's Stoker interfaced with Savannah Stoker controlling Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron.

To monitor the pit temp and one food temp I would go with the smoke especially with WiFi around the corner.

Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline ff13375

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 07:42:55 PM »
Ok thanks for all the input. Really was leaning towards the smoke but wasn't sure with only 2 probes. That's way I started to look at the tappecue. The rock was just an idea bc it works with the controller but $400 is more then I spent on the traeger

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 07:56:00 PM »
Ok thanks for all the input. Really was leaning towards the smoke but wasn't sure with only 2 probes. That's way I started to look at the tappecue. The rock was just an idea bc it works with the controller but $400 is more then I spent on the traeger
Even though I have many probes for I have found it only necessary and easier to use one pit probe and one food probe even when cooking four butts or two turkeys.  The reason is when one hits finished temp the other ones are close and I always and I mean always use a separate food, IE Thermapen, to determine finish temperature.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 08:20:37 PM »
Even though I have many probes for I have found it only necessary and easier to use one pit probe and one food probe even when cooking four butts or two turkeys.  The reason is when one hits finished temp the other ones are close and I always and I mean always use a separate food, IE Thermapen, to determine finish temperature.

Ditto!

Offline ff13375

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 09:04:03 PM »
Well just ordered the smoke so we will see...

Offline 70monte

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 09:49:50 PM »
I have the Maverick 732 and the new Thermoworks Smoke.  The Maverick has always worked fine for me and I've not had any problems with the probes or the connection but it is a little harder to set up then the Smoke is.

I've only used the Smoke twice with the last time being tonight.  It is very easy to set up.  Tonight for some reason I kept losing connection even though I was not close to being 300ft away.  I'm not sure what that was about but hopefully I don't have an issue starting to happen.  This one is more expensive than the Maverick.

Wayne
Weber Genesis 1000 gas grill
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range