Author Topic: Just got off the phone with a Charbroil engineer  (Read 16395 times)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Just got off the phone with a Charbroil engineer
« Reply #-1 on: January 04, 2017, 11:08:37 AM »
Called CharBroil to ask if they were going to ever have a fix for the Grill2Go Ice grill.   I talked to an operator and then to one of the main engineers and was told there is no issues they know of other than burners being some issue.

I told him that I was NOT going to argue or ask for anything free just needed to know why since new this grill goes out with little wind.  The engineer told me that any grill will go out in windy conditions which I replied not in 2 mph breeze they won't

I explained I owned four propane Big Easy's, Red 3 burner and other gas grills and this was NEVER an issue.  So I told him if they think there is no issue with this grill then that's fine, but they can't tell me they never heard of the issue.

So now I'm asking myself should I try to mod this thing to work or make a planter out of it?   

I have a mod in mind so I may just try one more thing before I give up.

Stay tuned............

Any mod that is made to this grill I'm doing on my own and telling no one to try it,   Just hate to get rid of it   

Please take this as a consumer trying to get answers to an issue so he can use his grill they way it was made to use.        NOT A COMPLAINT ABOUT THE GRILL OR COMPANY
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 11:29:52 AM by TMB »
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Re: Just got off the phone with a Charbroil engineer
« on: January 04, 2017, 12:36:15 PM »
 Drill it out Tommy!
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 12:41:55 PM »
 Actually,  I had this  issue with my SRG.  I tried this and that but nothing worked. Then I install an adjustable High Pressure regulator.  Set it just above the lowest setting and the thing works fine now.   

Of Course I don't personally rrecommend anybody modify anything ever.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 12:53:07 PM »
Terry, I have a mod planned but if it doesn't work I'll drill!    Just a shame, chase it's a good little grill
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 01:45:19 PM »
Actually,  I had this  issue with my SRG.  I tried this and that but nothing worked. Then I install an adjustable High Pressure regulator.  Set it just above the lowest setting and the thing works fine now.   

Of Course I don't personally rrecommend anybody modify anything ever.

Thats an interesting idea....
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 02:01:23 PM »
"
So now I'm asking myself should I try to mod this thing to work or make a planter out of it? "

I vote for the planter idea. Then send send a picture of it to Chabroil..... :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 02:21:36 PM »
"
So now I'm asking myself should I try to mod this thing to work or make a planter out of it? "

I vote for the planter idea. Then send send a picture of it to Chabroil..... :D :D
not a bad idea.
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 03:07:40 PM »
 Something else to check

One of the guys here at work has not been able to use his TBE do to low flames as well. At the Christmas party after several of us discussed it over a beer or two He took a paper clip and pushed it into the regulator hole and sure enough something was blocking it. It sort of clicked almost like the emergency valve was partly stuck down.
 Now it works fine. . 

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 04:08:16 PM »
Something else to check

One of the guys here at work has not been able to use his TBE do to low flames as well. At the Christmas party after several of us discussed it over a beer or two He took a paper clip and pushed it into the regulator hole and sure enough something was blocking it. It sort of clicked almost like the emergency valve was partly stuck down.
 Now it works fine. .

That regulator hole is a vent for the diaphragm to breathe. If you push too far into the hole you can puncture the diaphragm and that will increase pressure but not in a good way.

You only want to push in enough to clear any debris blocking the hole. If this hole gets blocked gas flow will greatly reduce or stop.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 04:21:53 PM »
Something else to check

Now it works fine. .

That regulator hole is a vent for the diaphragm to breathe. If you push too far into the hole you can puncture the diaphragm and that will increase pressure but not in a good way.

You only want to push in enough to clear any debris blocking the hole. If this hole gets blocked gas flow will greatly reduce or stop.
Gas flow was greatly reduced . Now the flames look normal or at least like the other 3 units we have here. If it acts up again I will replace it to be safe.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 04:32:28 PM »
Terry, the gas flow is not the problem.  Since new the flames have been perfect, blue and strong.   Issue is the wind blows it out or if you lower the lid fast it will flame out (which I somewhat helped) with the top vent .  It's open til I close it so air goes out the top and does not pressure the flame any.

I am going to block the side and bottom vent somewhat to try and redirect the air pressure in the cooker .
I believe this will help more then anything.    The guy I talked to was very adamant about the burner being the issue and nothing else.

If the burner was part or all of the issue why or how come I get 600+ temps??  A bad burner would not go that high.

I feel it's a poor design and they know it they just stop making it and washed their hands of it once and for all...
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 10:27:43 PM »
Tommy sounds to me like the lid is not tall enough and does not provide enough air volume for the amount of BTUs that burner has. The burner will end up getting smothered by it's own fumes.

I would create openings on the left and right side of the lid and see if that helps.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 10:31:21 PM »
Tommy sounds to me like the lid is not tall enough and does not provide enough air volume for the amount of BTUs that burner has. The burner will end up getting smothered by it's own fumes.

I would create openings on the left and right side of the lid and see if that helps.
i can do that Mike but just not sure yet
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline madhatter

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 12:18:09 AM »
I'm pretty sure the problem is NOT with the lid, but with the regulator.  I got a new regulator a month ago and fired up the g2gice and cooked a burger with the lid down for about 20 minutes on a windy day, and the fire did not go out.  This was the first cook with the new regulator.  My guess is that starting with the 3rd or 4th cook, the fire will start going out.  Will know more by next week.

I also spoke with one of their experts (Luke) who said he had not heard of the problem either.

when the fire goes out, propane is still flowing, you can hear it and smell it.  Better not light a match or a cigarette... boom. big safety problem.

I think the regulator fails, fire goes out, and then regulator starts working again
Margaritaville Tailgate grill (the best)
BEESR
TBE
22" Weber Kettle (3rd one)
Grill2Go Ice (Red)
Turkey Fryer (propane) unused
Lodge & Camp Chef Cast Iron grills, griddles and pans
Camp Chef Explorer II stove
Camp Chef Ultimate Turkey Roaster Cast Iron Pot unused

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 03:55:02 PM »
I got some special seeds if you turn it into a planter box.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66